ABS Fault Light w/ General Warning Advice - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 7:49 pm Thread Starter

Question ABS Fault Light w/ General Warning Advice

All,

Went on a wet ride to Lake Placid, about 200 miles rond trip today.

At about the 170 mile mark or 5 wet total hours into the trip, the ABS light begin to flash alternately with the general warning light (the Triangle with the "!" inside it) at about 1Hz.

When I got home, I let it sit for about 30 minutes then started her back up and all appears normal again.

My bike is an '04 with just over 4,000 miles.

Any ideas on what my issue may be, or could it have just been the moisture causing it?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 8:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safedog
All,

At about the 170 mile mark or 5 wet total hours into the trip, the ABS light begin to flash alternately with the general warning light (the Triangle with the "!" inside it) at about 1Hz.

When I got home, I let it sit for about 30 minutes then started her back up and all appears normal again.

Any ideas on what my issue may be, or could it have just been the moisture causing it?

Thanks in advance.
Karl - if you click on one of the several posts listed at the bottom of the page where your post is, there may be some info in those threads that will help you. Here is one of 'em. Good luck in solving the situation.
post #3 of 10 Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 8:11 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Dick, I did check the prior threads as you suggested, but could not find one that discussed the alternating lights that I was experiencing.

post #4 of 10 Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 9:01 pm

Quote:
Thanks Dick, I did check the prior threads as you suggested, but could not find one that discussed the alternating lights that I was experiencing.
Well, shoot - I didn't read thru 'em cuz I thought sure your answer would be in there! Drats.

Lemme list what is in my Rider's Manual for Toad, a '99.

ABS faults:
- If ABS warning lights flash alternately or remain on all the time: the ABS function is not available.

Possible causes of errors:
1. Excessively short interval between "ignition on" and the starting procedure (approx. 1 second). Switch the ignition off and on again.
2. Battery has undervoltage. Charge the battery or ride without ABS function.

If the ABS warning lights flash simultaneously; the ABS was only impaired briefly and the system is now operational once again. With cause of fault 1 and 2, you do not have to visit a BMW workshop. After a successful start-up test, the system is fully operational.

Now, whether this applies to an '04 model with it's ABS system, I'm not sure. I have read that it is important to maintain the brake fluid levels up 'near' the max mark in the reservoirs.

Thats it from me, Karl. Hope this helps a leetle 'til someone with the answer shows up here. Good luck.
post #5 of 10 Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 9:05 pm

To the dealer and have him see if any stored fault codes will tell the story.

Not a good idea to ride and there might be something not right with the brakes.

B D R
post #6 of 10 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 2:28 am

Quote:
All,

Thanks in advance.
don't waste any time ! Go and buy a new battery right away. Two years ago, I ignored these very same signs and paid $2200 for a new motronic (or whatever its called).

it all could have been prevented with a $90 battery (or $50 if you buy one online)

There is only one main computer on the bmw and it controls the abs. Don't mess around with this thing.
post #7 of 10 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 8:56 am Thread Starter

Corrected!

All,

I tapped off the brake fluid reservoir under the seat (it was just above the min line) and the fault is gone and all is well.

Thanks for your help on this!

Karl
post #8 of 10 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 2:07 pm

Key is 1hz alternating - that's the fluid low indicator. Glad you got it sussed out!

Tate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 10 Old Sep 4th, 2006, 9:22 am

ABS and Replacement of Battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauricedorris
don't waste any time ! Go and buy a new battery right away. Two years ago, I ignored these very same signs and paid $2200 for a new motronic (or whatever its called).

it all could have been prevented with a $90 battery (or $50 if you buy one online)

There is only one main computer on the bmw and it controls the abs. Don't mess around with this thing.
Maurcedorris...

Chimeing in here because i recently incountered the Alt.Flashing ABS Warning Lights.

Currious... Were did you come up with needing to replace the battery?
and how does it all tie together with replacing your Montronic?
Please explain in detail for there may be something to diagnose with.

Thx.
LB
post #10 of 10 Old Sep 4th, 2006, 2:39 pm

Exclamation ABS Light

Safedog
You need to check your rear brake pads!
If they are close to needing changed the resivor level will be low and this will set off the warning lights in the manor you described.
If this is the case, drain some fluid BEFORE you change the pads. When you (or your mechanic), presses the pistons back into caliper housing, the residual fluid will come squirting out of the resivore and make a real mess.

Dave Lancello
Indianapolis Indiana
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
2003 K1200LTE
2006 Harley Street Rod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in