Riding in the Rain! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Dec 2nd, 2014, 6:08 pm Thread Starter

Riding in the Rain!

So I've had my '99 LT for a little while and this week we've had some rain in Northern California. Not to be deterred, I loaded up with my rain gear and headed out for my daily commute.

Moderate rain and the bike felt planted on the road and the freeways. Never had a worry about the bike coming out from under me.

The more I ride this bike, the more I am impressed with just how easy it is to ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Dec 2nd, 2014, 6:30 pm

Re: Riding in the Rain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksnarf View Post
So I've had my '99 LT for a little while and this week we've had some rain in Northern California. Not to be deterred, I loaded up with my rain gear and headed out for my daily commute.

Moderate rain and the bike felt planted on the road and the freeways. Never had a worry about the bike coming out from under me.

The more I ride this bike, the more I am impressed with just how easy it is to ride.
Lt's are great, if your bike has Metzelers 880's do change to a radial. Avon makes a great tire.

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #3 of 12 Old Dec 2nd, 2014, 6:30 pm
cws

Garage

Wait till it gets really windy and everyone else on sportsbikes etc is getting blown sideways... let the old girl have her head for the most part and she usually corrects very nicely back to your riding line... of course there's always the exception to the rule when its really bad, but its way nicer to ride in bad weather than just about anything else I've tried .

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #4 of 12 Old Dec 2nd, 2014, 6:42 pm Thread Starter

I have M880's on the LT right now. A mostly new set came with the bike and I have always run them on my Kawasaki Concours.

I worry about mileage on the avon's. I ride about 15-20k a year and with my Concours out of action, I worry about changing tires every few months.
post #5 of 12 Old Dec 2nd, 2014, 11:41 pm

Just keep 48 rear. 43 or so up front. You should get 9-12K out of them. Depending how you ride. CWS is right.. It is just about the best bike I've ever ridden in rain. The fairing offers the best protection from rain/wind of anything I've ever ridden period..

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #6 of 12 Old Dec 3rd, 2014, 5:58 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksnarf View Post
I have M880's on the LT right now. A mostly new set came with the bike and I have always run them on my Kawasaki Concours.

I worry about mileage on the avon's. I ride about 15-20k a year and with my Concours out of action, I worry about changing tires every few months.
Keep in mind the connie has radial tires and the LT has Bias .880 Bias tires are slippery in the wet, and nasty over tar snakes.

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #7 of 12 Old Dec 7th, 2014, 10:10 am

Wink Re: Riding in the Rain!

All -
Did a run down from Boston to NJ, during a North Easter with a friend who rode a GW. After 8 hrs, the only thing that was wet were my gloves and the collar of my shirt. The LT does great in handling and keeping you dry, especially with the variable windshield. My GW partner was not so happy or dry.
I retrospect, I can say that that was the best ride of my life. Going 75-80 on I-95 in the rain, knowing that you are tracking good and focused is exhilarating. Heated grips and seat along with the ME tires did the job.

RickG
'07 K1200 LT

'85 K100 RT
gift to friend
post #8 of 12 Old Dec 7th, 2014, 11:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by murray View Post
Keep in mind the connie has radial tires and the LT has Bias .880 Bias tires are slippery in the wet, and nasty over tar snakes.
You got that right! I had one set of 880's, had run Dunlops, Bridgestones, and Avons, the 880 rear scared me a few times on wet pavement and tar snakes. Was very glad to get them off. Settled on rear Bridgestone, ran a couple front Bridgestones, but would use just about anything else on front, but wore out several rear Bridgestones. If I purchased an LT now, and it had 880's on it, even new ones, I would immediately remove the rear one and put a Bridgestone on. The rear BT020's never slipped once on wet or tar snakes, and lasted as long as the 880 rear did. For me, traction is worth at least 10 times as much as wear rate.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #9 of 12 Old Dec 7th, 2014, 12:43 pm

A few years ago I was downstate Michigan and had to go home. Temps were 40 and below with heavy rain. The bad thing was that I had to cross the Mackinaw Bridge. Rain was coming down horizontally with wind gust up to about 30-35mph. Long story short. The trip was uneventful and had no problems. Had ME880's on and have used them ever-since. The LT handles rain and wind well. The only time I really got wet was when I stopped. Tried not to stop much.
post #10 of 12 Old Dec 7th, 2014, 5:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey View Post
You got that right! I had one set of 880's, had run Dunlops, Bridgestones, and Avons, the 880 rear scared me a few times on wet pavement and tar snakes. Was very glad to get them off. Settled on rear Bridgestone, ran a couple front Bridgestones, but would use just about anything else on front, but wore out several rear Bridgestones. If I purchased an LT now, and it had 880's on it, even new ones, I would immediately remove the rear one and put a Bridgestone on. The rear BT020's never slipped once on wet or tar snakes, and lasted as long as the 880 rear did. For me, traction is worth at least 10 times as much as wear rate.
+ 1 Battleaxes great tire. The last 110 K on the LT were Avons for me, I hade less cupping than the 020.

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #11 of 12 Old Dec 7th, 2014, 5:36 pm
Lifetime Supporter

The LT has great protection from the rain: On my way back from CCR this summer, I got caught in a "storm of the century" between Grand Junction, CO and St. George, UT (the one that washed out the Interstate north of Las Vegas). Rain was coming down so hard, the drops were exploding the size of golf balls on my windshield. Although I had a rain suit in my top case, I decided that I'd get more wet by stopping to drag it out to put it on than I would to just continue riding. I finally pulled off at Salina, UT, after a cold wind kicked up so much, I was heeled over to go straight. My gloves were the only things that got real wet. I've since decided to leave the rain suit at home, since I didn't break it out once in that 25 state/25 day trip, and I hit quite a bit of rain. BTW - I run a Metzler on the front, and Bridgestone on the rear.

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

post #12 of 12 Old Dec 8th, 2014, 4:13 pm

Garage

I used to run 880's exclusively since that is what my local dealer said were the only ones BMW recommended. Since coming to this site I ventured out and put on an Avon Storm 2 on the front of my '03. Didn't see a big difference. I bought an '05 a few weeks ago and rode it home through the Olympic mountains in a good rain storm. Has Bridgestone tires on it. Was nervous about the first half hour of riding because I was used to the way the 880's handled on wet pavement. Once I realized the Bridgestones were sticking I decided to kick it up a notch. They are NICE! I really think my '03 would be better if I would get the 880 off the rear.

1973 Yamaha 250 Enduro (crash and burn)
1982 Yamaha Virago 920 (sold)
Honda CB750 Custom (sold...good riddins!)
2003 K1200LT - Black (for sale)
2005 K1200LT - Ocean Blue Metallic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in