My Sore Back !! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 1:38 pm Thread Starter
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Question My Sore Back !!

After a lonk ride my back is killing me!! I don,t want a drivers back rest. Is there a back support belt out there that gives good support ?

Stevie Shreeve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 1:51 pm

Motrin my friend, Keep a bottle in the trunk at all times

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
post #3 of 21 Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 1:53 pm

post #4 of 21 Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 2:12 pm Thread Starter

Thanks John, The Backaline looks like it should do the trick i'm ordering one today. Have you used one yourself?

Stevie Shreeve
post #5 of 21 Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 5:56 pm
was

I've used a bunch of different "back braces," both for construction and yard work, and for riding. The Back Align is better than most for riding, but not as good as most for working because it does not flex as much when you have to bend over. There are posts on the Web about clinical trials for these kind of elastic supports - generally they are not very effective. However, you will find people who swear by one type or another, one brand or another. YMMV. Do you know what the cause of the back soreness is? Previous injury that flares up? Muscle stiffness from sitting too long in one position? You may find that isolating the primary cause will lead to ideas about how to compensate.

Bill
Guilford, CT
'99 Canyon Red K1200 LT - Buddah Bike
post #6 of 21 Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 6:12 pm Thread Starter

Bill;
My sore back comes from sitting for long periods of time. I find myself slumping forward after awhile.You know BAD POSTURE! it's a hard habit to break.Was hopeing a support of some kind would help

Stevie Shreeve
post #7 of 21 Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 7:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
Bill;
My sore back comes from sitting for long periods of time. I find myself slumping forward after awhile.You know BAD POSTURE! it's a hard habit to break.Was hoping a support of some kind would help
Steve, I am not sure why you want to rule out a backrest. I know it is not the most attractive device, but when I rode my bike from PA back to CA I was very happy to have one already installed. They are easy to adjust, move out of the way for the passenger to get on/off the bike, and do not require a permanent modification to install.
Just my $.02

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 21 Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 8:07 pm Thread Starter

2 reason for not having a back rest first and most imporantly I'm built close to the ground (AKA short) 5'8" I have a hard time getting on the bike anyway and it looks like the backrest would make it harder. 2nd not foundone that i like the looks of!

Stevie Shreeve
post #9 of 21 Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 3:44 am

I do not use the belt for the LT it's too smooth. I do have a backrest that fills the need nicely. Just rode from Fairfax Virginia to Erie Pa for a fishing trip and back. 12 hours with no problems. The belt worked(s) great when I am riding the dirt bikes. More of a kidney (beer belly) support that anything.
post #10 of 21 Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 4:17 am

We have just finished being a vendor at the BMW MOA rally in Vermont ( more on that in another thread), We carry Back-A-Lines and we sold many this past weekend. I can't tell you how many people came back to our booth and told us how great they worked for them. I've been using one for 2 1/2 years and I can tell you first hand that they work great for me. Used it this past weekend while loading and unloading the trailer and standing for 9 hours at a time in our booth.............you won't be disappointed with one!
post #11 of 21 Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 8:42 am

back a line

Quote:
Originally Posted by nplenzick
We have just finished being a vendor at the BMW MOA rally in Vermont ( more on that in another thread), We carry Back-A-Lines and we sold many this past weekend. I can't tell you how many people came back to our booth and told us how great they worked for them. I've been using one for 2 1/2 years and I can tell you first hand that they work great for me. Used it this past weekend while loading and unloading the trailer and standing for 9 hours at a time in our booth.............you won't be disappointed with one!
please send me some more info on this product....
[email protected] thanks
post #12 of 21 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 10:00 am

Smile Back-A-Line

I used a Back-A-Line until I bought a Backup back rest. Now it is gathering dust in the garage. If you want the Back - A - Line send me your address. Only requirement is if you don't like it or can't use it, please find someone on the list who wants it and send it to them.

Pat Lynch
'07 K1200LT
'03 K1200LTE (Gone)
La Salle, MI
15 mi N. of Toledo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #13 of 21 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 10:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkingedout
please send me some more info on this product....
[email protected] thanks
You can find all the info you would like at www.backaline.com . It's a nobel gesture of the above poster to give you his, however I do not recomend Back-A-Lines be shared with other people. After the first four hours or so when worn tightly ( as recomended in the instructions) the foam pad forms to "your" back. Once formed it will not reshape to anothers.
If your in the area of the Mid Ohio race track this weekend stop by and try one on, I 'll be a vendor there.
post #14 of 21 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 10:43 am

Quote:
2 reason for not having a back rest first and most imporantly I'm built close to the ground (AKA short) 5'8" I have a hard time getting on the bike anyway and it looks like the backrest would make it harder. 2nd not foundone that i like the looks of!

I too am short and had trouble with my back do to poor posture while on the LT. I tried the seat in the upper position and it helped a lot. It tilted my hips forward and made me sit more upright. To my surprise, I found that I didn't have any more problems getting my feet on the ground at stops, as the front of the seat really doesn't raise up that much. If you ride solo, try your feet on the rear pegs from time to time, sportbike style, you don't see those guys slouching.

Give it a try.

BTW ... I did get a seat made for me and now there's no more problem.
post #15 of 21 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 10:46 am

NECK FATIQUE??? Wearing my full face for hours hurts the back of my neck. What to do?
post #16 of 21 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 2:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodoodrum
NECK FATIQUE??? Wearing my full face for hours hurts the back of my neck. What to do?
Is your windshield in the lowest position? When I have mine up, even just a bit, I get wind pressure on the back of my helmet and then I have to push back against it with the neck muscles.
post #17 of 21 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 3:08 pm

Cheap solutions

Quote:
After a lonk ride my back is killing me!! I don,t want a drivers back rest. Is there a back support belt out there that gives good support ?
Maybe it's just me, but here are my 0.2 cents: I too had back pain, and pain in the neck; bought a beadrider and a throttle rocker ($35 and $4.50 respectively). The beadrider made my butt comfortable, and pain in the back was gone; the throttle rocker eased tension in my right hand and with this pain in the neck was gone (i know we all have a cruise control...).
I've just returned from a coast-to-coast trip and had no problems/pain at all (well, almost). That was a 17-day 7570 milke trip (awesome, by the way)
post #18 of 21 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 4:26 pm

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodoodrum
I am not sure which shield you have on your bike... My CeeBailey #2 -2 took the pain out of the neck so I can do that!
I am 5'11" with a 32" inseam and keep the shield all the way down.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #19 of 21 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 7:58 pm

Quote:
There are several leather shops that make belts for hardtail riders, how stiff do you want it is the question.
Lutz's leather has made them with stainless plates between layers of leather. (Great on the Panhead little much for the LT).
Rock
post #20 of 21 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 10:46 pm

AHHHH HAAAAA!!!!! That's it..... It's the backdraft from behind the windshield (in the cockpit) pushing on the helmet from the rear of the bike. O.K. now if you ride with the shield down, can one hear the sound system? I wonder if there is a small "bungie" that could be attached to pull back on the helmet so you can ride with the windshield up?
post #21 of 21 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 12:16 am
Ted

Quote:
Have you used one yourself?
I have the same model and use it for all long rides - it helps!

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in