Request GS911 Reset in Florida Panhandle (Pensacola Area) - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By kellenbenz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old Dec 1st, 2014, 8:42 am Thread Starter

Request GS911 Reset in Florida Panhandle (Pensacola Area)

If any forum members are within 300-400 miles of Pensacola Florida, and are willing to conduct a GS911 reset on a 2000LT, I'd be happy to buy your lunch for the service. I have an ABS fault indication that the previous owner swears only requires a reset (PO had the ABS fault reset twice in his 13 years of ownership), but the Pensacola dealership says the issue is a relay. I'd rather try a GS911 reset before letting the dealership tear into the ABS.

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old Dec 1st, 2014, 11:02 am

Re: Request GS911 Reset in Florida Panhandle (Pensacola Area)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun Bobby View Post
If any forum members are within 300-400 miles of Pensacola Florida, and are willing to conduct a GS911 reset on a 2000LT, I'd be happy to buy your lunch for the service. I have an ABS fault indication that the previous owner swears only requires a reset (PO had the ABS fault reset twice in his 13 years of ownership), but the Pensacola dealership says the issue is a relay. I'd rather try a GS911 reset before letting the dealership tear into the ABS.

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL
Without wanting to be a spoilsport how come that previous owner can know the type of problem / needed repair action? Perhaps something you did not share? Fact that the bike has needed reset twice during last 99 years is no guarantee of it being case now. Some could say on the contrary. Guess that diagnosis of faulty relay has come up from some diagnostics?

Born to be wild so why not

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 25 Old Dec 1st, 2014, 12:26 pm Thread Starter

C-A-D, you're not a spoilsport, I didn't provide the info. When I purchased the LT in April, it had the ABS fault indication. The previous owner (PO) took it to his local dealership and the mototronic indicated a faulty ABS relay. I verified the fault with my local dealership. The PO elected not to have the relay repaired due to his previous successful ABS reset experience. According to the PO, the previous two times the ABS fault indicated was after the ABS was engaged - once in gravel and the other on slick roads. This instance happened during a rough railroad crossing at highway speeds. He was traveling during both instances and a local shop performed the fault reset. I do know a relay problem could exist, but I am hoping a simple GS911 reset will clear the code. If the GS911 does confirm the relay fault, I will have confidence in utilizing my dealership (other than the mototronic fault check, I have not used them to date). On the otherhand, if the GS911 reset clears the fault indication, I will have a conversation with the service manager.

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL

post #4 of 25 Old Dec 1st, 2014, 1:07 pm

Just in case it ends up being the module, keep this in mind. Module Masters rebuilds them for $350 and gives a 5 year warranty. I had them do my RT (different module but they do yours also) and am very pleased with the results.

ABS2 Rebuild for BMW Motorcycles | ModuleMaster

Ron
DanMartin and tvguy like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

747,891 miles on touring motorcycles since 1990

IBA 45658 MOA167437

2000 LTC 90,600 miles KIA (new)
2003 LTE 164,188 miles Silver (Purchased with 1687)
2008 R1200RT 176,196 miles (Purchased with 16458)
2017 R1200RT 96,669miles (new)
Total BMW miles 509,508
1982 GL1100 rode 84108 miles (bought with 12012 sold 96120)
1988 GL1500 rode 12067 miles (bought with 19893 totaled 31960)
1989 GL1500 rode 142208 miles (bought with 20302 sold 162510)
Goldwing miles 238,383
post #5 of 25 Old Dec 1st, 2014, 3:07 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL
Look here for members with a GS911.

Stevie Shreeve
post #6 of 25 Old Dec 1st, 2014, 9:03 pm Thread Starter

Katnapinn, outstanding link and fairly up-to-date with folks offering their GS911 service. Thank you. I was amazed at the international flavor of the offers - Finland, Thailand. Wow!

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL
post #7 of 25 Old Dec 2nd, 2014, 7:01 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Rob, If you are inclined to dig in, you can reset the old girl with the info found here .

Not real hard to do.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #8 of 25 Old Dec 2nd, 2014, 9:37 pm Thread Starter

My hat is off to the individual that figured out the fault code reading and reset procedure - brilliant. However, the time it would take me to hacksaw, wire trace, and fight with disassembling a connector would be better spent riding to someone's place with a GS-911. Thanks for the thread though.

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL
post #9 of 25 Old Dec 3rd, 2014, 7:28 am

Rob,

If you're not in a big hurry, I'll be in Pace, Florida for Christmas. Plan on arriving on December 21st and will be leaving December 27th. Let me know if you'd like me to bring my GS-911 along with me. We can either meet somewhere in between or I can give you directions to my son's house.

Bill Edwards
Boerne, Texas
post #10 of 25 Old Dec 3rd, 2014, 9:38 am

The work / research done by BDC back in 2006 is amazing info!
I've done the ABS II reset procedure myself & it Does work (it helps if you're a little bit wrenchy).
I also left the pin 21 wire in place so I can clear the ABS if needed.

I exercise the ABS by hammering the brakes every now & then.

So far the fault hasn't reoccurred.

Rand & Susan Hawksworth
2000 K1200LT
post #11 of 25 Old Dec 3rd, 2014, 9:13 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jusbill1 View Post
Rob,

If you're not in a big hurry, I'll be in Pace, Florida for Christmas. Plan on arriving on December 21st and will be leaving December 27th. Let me know if you'd like me to bring my GS-911 along with me. We can either meet somewhere in between or I can give you directions to my son's house.

Bill Edwards
Boerne, Texas
Bill,

Please and absolutely pack your GS-911. Pace, FL is a short 30 minute ride from Navarre. I'm more than happy to ride to your son's house. Send me a PM at [email protected] to coordinate details.

Much Thanks,

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL
post #12 of 25 Old Dec 4th, 2014, 8:26 am

Sent you a PM.

Bill
post #13 of 25 Old Dec 26th, 2014, 10:01 pm Thread Starter

A public thank you to Bill Edwards and his trusty GS-911. The GS-911 is an incredible diagnostic tool! To make a long story short, Bill with his GS-911 was able to do what TWO BMW dealerships could not or would not perform - reset the ABS fault. It's nice not having the blinking ABS lights. Now I'm debating on whether to have a conversation with the service manager. At the very least, I have lost confidence with the dealership and I will attempt future services and repairs.

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL
post #14 of 25 Old Jan 5th, 2015, 9:52 pm Thread Starter

Glad I didn't go and make myself a horse's backside at the dealership. I am eating crow with my previous post. After nearly three weeks and 250 miles without an ABS failure indication, the fault reappeared while in stop-and-go traffic this morning. I am bummed! I hoped the GS-911 reset permanently corrected the fault. Decision time, let the dealer troubleshoot the failure or attempt another GS-911 reset. What to do?

Rob, 2000 LT
Navarre, FL
post #15 of 25 Old Jan 5th, 2015, 9:59 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

First off the GS-911 cannot "fix" a fault it can only reset the memory. It will give you a code as to what is causing the fault and once that is fixed and the unit reset, you will be good to go.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #16 of 25 Old Jan 5th, 2015, 10:13 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Here's the problem: as a rule dealers will not reset ABS fault codes without repairing the cause. It's not that they can't, it's that they WON'T. Perceived liability problems I suppose. So if the fault is from somewhere inside the ABS unit itself, the only fix available from most dealerships is a replacement module. So what code did it set?

post #17 of 25 Old Jan 5th, 2015, 10:14 pm Thread Starter

The GS-911 confirmed what the dealer's Mototronic stated, "faulty relay". I had hoped the fault indication was a false positive once the static memory was cleared and the fault didn't immediately reappear. Not so lucky.

Since the dealer has to remove the Tupperware to replace the relay, I may have him perform the 24,000 service. This may hurt the wallet.

Rob, 2000 LT
Navarre, FL
post #18 of 25 Old Jan 5th, 2015, 11:13 pm
Lifetime Supporter

An ABS relay is pretty small potatoes presuming it's outside the ABS unit, I don't know if it is or not. If it's inside the unit, see previous post.

Looks like you're in luck:
05 ABS motor relay 1 61362306526 $139.76

Last edited by deanwoolsey; Jan 5th, 2015 at 11:19 pm.
post #19 of 25 Old Jan 6th, 2015, 8:03 am

Quote:
.....the fault reappeared while in stop-and-go traffic this morning.
Let me see, stop and go traffic? I assume that the light went on while you were starting from a stop? Mine did the same thing and the dealer ended up replacing the abs unit. It was under warranty at the time. I assumed (at least with mine) that the light is coming on because as you let out the clutch, if you do not have the rpm's up, the battery voltage drops below a certain level and trips the light. Mine did this two times from a start at a traffic light. It also may not hurt to install a new battery.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #20 of 25 Old Jan 6th, 2015, 3:34 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrevelino View Post
I assume that the light went on while you were starting from a stop? I assumed (at least with mine) that the light is coming on because as you let out the clutch, if you do not have the rpm's up, the battery voltage drops below a certain level and trips the light. Mine did this two times from a start at a traffic light. It also may not hurt to install a new battery.
You are correct, the ABS fault illuminated as I was departing from a red light, but I had been in stop-and-go traffic for the past quarter mile. However, I was wearing a heated Gerbing jacket and the seat and grip heating elements were also on, so your battery voltage theory is plausible. I replaced the battery in August, and the LT is my daily rider. I'm fairly certain the ABS relay kicked off the fault based on historical evidence, but I won't know until the Mototronic performs it's diagnostic black magic.

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL
post #21 of 25 Old Jan 6th, 2015, 4:41 pm

"Just need to reset" and "it's a fuse" are the two most commonly seen examples of wishful thinking.

Both are indicators that something's actually wrong and needs to be fixed.

It's a bit like "shoot the messenger," isn't it?

Kent Christensen
Albuquerque
'12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S
post #22 of 25 Old Jan 6th, 2015, 5:22 pm
Lifetime Supporter

If you were in stop and go traffic long enough to kick the fans on along with the grips, seat, and a heated vest, I would think you likely just pulled more amps than your alternator was making at low RPMs. While the LT does have a very large alternator, everything has it's limits. The ABS unit could see low voltage as a bad relay, I suppose.

post #23 of 25 Old Jan 7th, 2015, 12:01 am

There is a built'in logic in ABSII to run the plunger test every now and then (so the same one which happens during the initial take off putting the ABS-lights out). This happens when you take off from the red lights or other stop. This off course draw amps and in case of very bad battery / low RPMs / Low voltage could perhaps cause miss-spelled relay errors - perhaps?

More likely it should just cause "Low voltage" error which clears itself after next successful power-up with voltage high enough.

Born to be wild so why not

post #24 of 25 Old Jan 25th, 2015, 9:46 am Thread Starter

I dropped the girl off at my local dealership for professional care. The Mototronic confirmed the ABS electrical relay was the issue. $139.76 for a new relay, two hours labor ($89 an hour labor rate) to replace relay, $4.40 for brake fluid, and one hour of labor to drain and refill brake system. $450.62 out the door with tax a week later.

I sure missed her while she was in the shop. Riding my 1999 Roadking was not as enjoyable. Unfortunately, a R1200GS caught my eye in the showroom. Spectacular bike! I wonder if my spousal unit would approve of one with the LT...probably not.

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL
post #25 of 25 Old Jan 25th, 2015, 12:55 pm

Rob,

Glad you're fixed. Now you can ride with your mind at ease and no more annoying blinking red lights.

Bill

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in