Best way to haul an LT in an enclosed trailer? - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Scouter-50

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Nov 29th, 2014, 5:22 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Best way to haul an LT in an enclosed trailer?

This next year I am going to be going to Biloxi MS for about a year and I will take my LT with me. But because it is a long term move (military PCS) I will be taking my truck and stuff to live with also. I need to rent an apartment and will have to take other stuff along.
The LT will need to be loaded into an 8' x 10' U-Haul cargo trailer (or there about). I assume there will be little in the way of floor tie downs. So I will need to find a way to keep it upright and not moving around, any suggestions?
I don't want to get there and find my baby damaged or fallen over.

BTW, what is your thought on this: http://www.tobefast.com/Canyon-Dance...Straps-32.html

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1997 R1100RT
2000 K1200LT Sold

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by oldmopars; Nov 29th, 2014 at 5:30 pm. Reason: add link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Nov 29th, 2014, 5:51 pm

Re: Best way to haul an LT in an enclosed trailer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmopars View Post
This next year I am going to be going to Biloxi MS for about a year and I will take my LT with me. But because it is a long term move (military PCS) I will be taking my truck and stuff to live with also. I need to rent an apartment and will have to take other stuff along.
The LT will need to be loaded into an 8' x 10' U-Haul cargo trailer (or there about). I assume there will be little in the way of floor tie downs. So I will need to find a way to keep it upright and not moving around, any suggestions?
I don't want to get there and find my baby damaged or fallen over.

BTW, what is your thought on this: Motorcycle Parts and Accessories: Yamaha StreetBike
Absolutely not! Never tie down a K1200LT from the bars! Use soft straps around the lower fork legs taking care not to pinch the brake lines and two more strap at the rear around the lower saddlebag mount tubing. Look up tie down points for a K1200LT. I don't have the url handy. You may have to build a wood frame to fit the trailer.

Robert
Patric likes this.

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

post #3 of 16 Old Nov 29th, 2014, 6:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouter-50 View Post
Absolutely not! Never tie down a K1200LT from the bars! Use soft straps around the lower fork legs taking care not to pinch the brake lines and two more strap at the rear around the lower saddlebag mount tubing. Look up tie down points for a K1200LT. I don't have the url handy. You may have to build a wood frame to fit the trailer.

Robert
Agree with Robert.
Proper tie down technique discussed with pictures recently on this forum - here:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/...tie-downs.html

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
-------------------------------------------------
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."

post #4 of 16 Old Nov 29th, 2014, 7:19 pm

Would be surprised if there was not tie down location in the trailer. I have fashioned a wheel chock out of three pieces of 2x4, each about 12 inches long, into a U-shape then screw to floor (wood floor) This setup worked well until I acquired a Baxley wheel chock.

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

post #5 of 16 Old Nov 29th, 2014, 7:36 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Agree with Robert.
Proper tie down technique discussed with pictures recently on this forum - here:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/...tie-downs.html
Yes I saw that, just wanted to see if this would work inside a trailer, guess not. I will have to see what the inside looks like for tie downs, if there are none I will have to make something. If they are wood floor, that will be easy, screw down a good chock, if aluminum, I may have to park on a sheet of 3/4 plywood and build something.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

1997 R1100RT
2000 K1200LT Sold

post #6 of 16 Old Nov 30th, 2014, 10:11 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOTCxx6934k

Video about tie downs Starts at 2:35
post #7 of 16 Old Nov 30th, 2014, 11:04 am

Or get yourself a wheelchock. They don't cost much.And a piece of 1/2 or 3/4 plywood. Screw the wheelchock to that. Park the front in wheelchock and rear wheel will also be on the plywood. Now take cut pieces of 2×4 and make a chock/ blocks for the rear wheel by screwing those to the plywood sheet.You will have to use 2×4's or something to anchor the plywood platform to keep it from moving around in the truck. You'll tiedown the bike to the wood platform and tie off rails on sides of the truck.Check discount ramps. Thats where I got my self locking wheel chock.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.

Last edited by james216; Nov 30th, 2014 at 11:14 am.
post #8 of 16 Old Nov 30th, 2014, 12:47 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

This would work if you have the time to make it. I used it quite a bit in the shop until I bought a Baxley chock. Could shoot some deck screws into the trailer floor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wood Chock1.jpg
Views:	2786
Size:	202.4 KB
ID:	69706   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wood Chock2.jpg
Views:	1461
Size:	191.6 KB
ID:	69714  

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #9 of 16 Old Dec 1st, 2014, 2:18 pm

The inside of u*haul enclosed trailers typically have very little in the way of tie downs. There is a rail along the sidewall that is intended as a bumper more than an cleat. Some are held on with a minimum of mechanical fasteners, some are attached with adhesive. I would NOT tie an LT to anything like this.

Also, FWIW, since u*haul also rents a bike trailer (open), you are best off not mentioning to them you plan to put a bike inside their enclosed trailer even though you are not exceeding any loading limitations. And you'll need your own ramp.I don't recall even their largest tandem axle trailer having a loading ramp.

Dave
-2000 K1200LT
-------------------------------
Life's too short to ride ugly motorcycles
post #10 of 16 Old Dec 1st, 2014, 2:36 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
This would work if you have the time to make it. I used it quite a bit in the shop until I bought a Baxley chock. Could shoot some deck screws into the trailer floor.
This is kind of what I was thinking. I would attach it to the plywood and then find a way to anchor it all to the floor.

I would never tell UHaul what I wanted to haul, they can be real stupid on their requirements, over board on the liability side.

1997 R1100RT
2000 K1200LT Sold

post #11 of 16 Old Dec 1st, 2014, 2:56 pm

I never used a uhaul trailer for my LT but when using others I needed to remover the windshield and radio ant as they were taller than the door opening.

Bob Walker
Rio Rancho,NM
'13 Yamaha Super Tenere
'00 LTi Trike, Basalt Blue
'12 K1600GTL, Dark Blue(Sold)
post #12 of 16 Old Dec 1st, 2014, 10:04 pm

OK, so you are doing a PCS with at least a partial DITY (Do It Yourself Move) that you will be paid for by the military? This is an excellent time to use the money you will make on your DITY claim to purchase a small enclosed trailer with a rear drop ramp.

Buy the trailer, buy a decent wheel chock (Motorcycle Stand/Wheel Chock ) that you can mount in your trailer, and have peace of mind. Think of the trailer as a portable garage. Motorcycle broken down? No problem, you have a trailer! Need to take a load of stuff to the dump? No problem, you have a trailer!

If you are worried about your bike on the trip, just imagine how worried you will be living in an apartment with your bike out in the weather and all of the ill-mannered neighborhood kids using your bike as a playground. No it won't fit through the door of your apartment, sorry.

Another hot tip, when moving, pack the bike in the center of the trailer at the right balance point. Strap it down as noted in the previous posts, then pack everything around the bike with your mattress set on each side of the bike, just in case.

I bought my trailer 6 years ago for exactly the kind of stuff described above and have never regretted it. Definitely makes doing a cross country PCS easier because I can take everything I need with me and be comfortable until the movers show up.

Steve Green
US Army (Ret)
2002 KLT
Titan Silver

I don't like making plans for the day....because then the word "premeditated" gets thrown around in the courtroom.
post #13 of 16 Old Dec 2nd, 2014, 1:02 am

Here is what I did. I purchased a Home Depot trailer that I think was 6x12. When it came time to remake it from an R/C airplane hauler to a bike hauler I got some Eye Bolts that had about 2 inches of threads. They were 1/4 20 threads. I sort of eyeballed where the 'Girl' would be sitting and where the loops for the forks would be and about 6 inches from the floor I drilled out a little over the 1/4 inch hole needed. I made up 4 pieces of 3/8 ply about 4 inches square and drilled out the center to 1/4 and then put fender washers on the threads of the Eye Bold. Then wood glue on the 4" pieces (trailer walls are paneled) and slid them glue side out and then out the hole through another fender washer and then a 1/4 20 nut. Snug that down and your baby won't go anywhere you don't want. The outside of the trailer is light aluminum and the large fender washers and that wood piece will hold the bike fine.

Tommy
77 years old and gittin' younger
__________________________________________________ __
'07 K1200LT Black w/color matched Hannigan Europa II Trailer
'09 KLR650 heavily modified for the TAT

IBA #48786
MOA #164466

post #14 of 16 Old Dec 2nd, 2014, 10:03 am Thread Starter

Garage

I like the idea of buying a trailer, I am not sure if I can afford it right now, I will have to see how much they are going to pay me for the move. It would be nice to have something to put my tool box in and store the bike at night. I would need one with a ramp though, I plan to ride it almost every day if possible. My truck only gets about 15 MPG.
If I own the trailer, I can modify it how I need it. Good idea.

1997 R1100RT
2000 K1200LT Sold

post #15 of 16 Old Dec 6th, 2014, 11:23 pm

I like the suggestion of the mattresses around the bike. There was a guy selling an LT here in Seattle that had hauled it up from California in a box trailer, it fell over during transit, and his tool box rubbed on it all the way...yea, it made a mess of the plastic and seat.. Maybe a trip to the second hand store for a couple of mattresses just for the trip?

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)
post #16 of 16 Old Dec 7th, 2014, 9:58 pm

The reason for the mattresses is simple and applies completely to the reason for the posting. When ever we make a change of station (PCS) we use the trailer to pack up everything we will need immediately upon arrive to our new location (bed, some cookware, clothing, uniforms, etc), and everything I choose not to trust them with (heirlooms, important records, my tools). The movers then pack everything we can live without for a week or so. Once everything is packed we take apart our bed and slip the mattresses in on either side of the bike for extra protection then head off into the sunset (or sunrise depending on which way we are moving) and race the movers to our new home. The poster is making a PCS move and will need a bed at both ends so he might as well use the bed he already owns and keep it with him on the move.

Steve Green
US Army (Ret)
2002 KLT
Titan Silver

I don't like making plans for the day....because then the word "premeditated" gets thrown around in the courtroom.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in