salvage title opinions - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old Jul 21st, 2006, 1:37 pm Thread Starter

Question salvage title opinions

In my quest to find the "perfect" LT for me, I came across this one. Not thinking seriously about it, just thinking about it.

I know salvage title is not a good thing really, but I would like to hear some opinions on it. Here is the link http://adcache.cycletrader.com/5/8/5/85067785.htm
to a bike I found. Miles are okay, not great. It is a 2000 model. I called the guy asking about hte description where it says "damaged and repaired."

he said he bought it in KY with a "damaged title". That the bike had been hit in the back by another bike and did not sustain any structural damage, just one saddlebag and trunk. I'm not familiar enough with the LT to know what all is back there. He says it rides perfectly and I would not be disappinted there. That he reaired and replaced everything that was damaged. I have not see the bike in person, so I can't comment on quality of workmanship. the price is not that good. low retail from NADA is $6890 for a standard LT.

I read on edmunds.com that if you buy salvage vehicle, you better be ready to own it til wheels fall off, because resale is going to be bad, which I understand.

So with all that said, what opinions/experiences do you guys have? And I think at this point, you would have to talk me IN TO it, not out of it. I'm thining I should stay away from it. Too many "I told you sos" that could be there.

Rando
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old Jul 21st, 2006, 1:44 pm

I would go more than $3500 for that bike.
I have done the salvage reconstruction thing before.
Not sure of your states laws, but I stole a K100 off a guy in NY because his state wouldn't let him recon a salvaged out of state bike..
Under 8K mile on bike with extra frame with clean title for under 2 grand.
Rock
post #3 of 27 Old Jul 21st, 2006, 1:52 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRock
I would go more than $3500 for that bike.
I have done the salvage reconstruction thing before.
Not sure of your states laws, but I stole a K100 off a guy in NY because his state wouldn't let him recon a salvaged out of state bike..
Under 8K mile on bike with extra frame with clean title for under 2 grand.
Rock

Huh? You mean NO more than $3500?

How do you know if it's all right? I mean I think I'm a pretty sharp guy, but this is a motorcycle we're talking about here and it's crucial that it be right. If I wantd a wrecked bike, I could rebuild my Vstrom. Before I'd buy, I'd have to KNOW the bike was right. Who would be able to say that? BMW dealer? Are thy qualified?

The idea sounds okay to me, but the price is a little too close to retail for me anyway. For tht price. I'd feel good getting a clean title bike.

Rando

post #4 of 27 Old Jul 21st, 2006, 3:31 pm

where does it say salvaged title ?
post #5 of 27 Old Jul 21st, 2006, 3:40 pm

I would find some one nearby who is knowledgeable about the LT and have him look at it. The older LT'S (Like mine) can be totalled so easy without any important damage. between the cost of parts and then BMW labor it does not take much. But in this case I think his price is high. You should take off $1000 min maybe up to $2000 for a PROPERLY repaired LT with a salvage title.

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
post #6 of 27 Old Jul 21st, 2006, 4:34 pm Thread Starter

I haven't seen the title, but he said the Kentucky title says "damaged vehicle".

I realize that bikes are easily totalled. I have been thru that myself. In my case, I would not feel safe on MY bike again. Something is bent somewhere that causes the seat to no longer fit properly. I have not taken it apart nor will I, to see. But I am afraid that something will be bent or misaligned in the swingarm That could cause the rear drive failure or the bike to run crookedly or whatver.

Do we have any triad NC riders on here? I'll have to see if any of my MSF coach buddies would know.

Thanks
rando
post #7 of 27 Old Jul 21st, 2006, 4:58 pm

Check out the classifieds on this site.
post #8 of 27 Old Jul 21st, 2006, 5:13 pm

At that price, I wouldn'tk waste my time.

There are too many good bikes out there that you can get ... Move on and don't give it another thought.

On top of that, there may be some insurance issues as well.
post #9 of 27 Old Jul 21st, 2006, 5:26 pm

Garage
Any time you are evaluating a used vehicle that has any work performed by an individual you must judge that vehicle in large part on the track record of that individual. Salvage or not. Repair work is repair work. When you buy a vehicle form a dealer, there newest trainee may have done the work but you at least have the backing of a dealer. If you are dealing with Joe Blow over the internet you know nothing. all you can do is ask for an independent shop to inspect his work. If every thing checks out go for it.
I've rebuilt three BMW's over the past three years and I live in a rural area. I have found that trying to sell a BMW over the internet with salvage history is next to impossible. I believe that if I could get people to come and kick the tires the bike would sell. I have my 2000 K1200LT listed on this site for $6000.00 and a lot of people look but no one responds. The bike has 10,000 miles on it since the rebuild, at what point does the salvage stigma go away?

I hope yall don't mind me venting a little bit. I guess the used bike business is not for the novice.

1999 K1200LT Rat Bike Sold
2000 K1200LT Black Bike SOLD
2003 K1200RS Alpine White and Blue SOLD
2002 R1150GS sold
2008 "smart"
2001 K1200LT current project, AKA M1.2, AKA Horten 229
2002 F650GS It's runnin y'all
2005 K1200S
2012 R1200GS Rally
post #10 of 27 Old Jul 21st, 2006, 7:01 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecketMa
Check out the classifieds on this site.
I have. And do. Just hasn';t been one close enough to beat the deal I can get locally.

Here's the story.A firend is selling his 03 LTR with 14K miles for $11,5K and he will finance if I need him to. It's black, not my favorite color and it needs a good cleaning. Guy is not sure about maintenance issues. He didn't even learn how the radio works til a month ago He bought bike over a yearago for he and wife but they nevre really got comfy with it and he has 3 or 4 other k bikes to choose from. But if I can find a KILLER deal on another bike, then he is okay with it as I am okay if he sells the LT before I get to ride again. My wrist is still healing and I am not able to ride yet. HOEWEver, when I get the clearance from docs and wife to ride again, I want to at least have a bike picked out and ready to buy.

The salvage bike is way cheaper, but the work was done by current owner, who I have no idea if he's good, bad, or indifferent. Just not interested in the potential hidden problems of salvage bike.

I understand the resale will be negatively affected by the salvage title and am concerned about this in the event that I ride it a while and decide to change bikes. From what I've seen on ebay, the BMWs aren't selling all that well anyway. the ebay bikes rarely bring the NADA values, nor their reserves. That's not to say teh reserves are priced fairly. So many things to say there. I still want one and think I will really enjoy it.

I tried to answer everyones posts in one, sorry for length and hope it makes sense.

Rando
post #11 of 27 Old Jul 21st, 2006, 9:43 pm

Don't have experience with salvaged bikes, but I do with salvaged cars. For several years I bought, repaired, and restored old Corvettes (late 60's-mid 70's). In 1993, I came upon a SWEET deal on a 1987 coupe with a damaged driver door and less than 10,000 mi. Needless to say, the car was CHEAP, but the cost of parts (even with me doing most the work) ran up the price where it would have been better to wait for a good deal on a "clean" car. I came out okay on the car but I had to sit on it for a while and let the market value catch up. BTW, I documented the damage and subsequent repairs, so I could show the new owner(s) there were no shortcuts taken with the repairs, but I did take a hit on the resale when you consider the time value of having my money tied up. That project was my first and last "builder." Bottom line, if you buy a "damage/repaired", be prepared to keep it, ride it, and enjoy it for a while, as they are hard to unload without taking a hit. Ask the current owner if he/she has pictures of the damage and repair.
post #12 of 27 Old Jul 21st, 2006, 11:17 pm

[QUOTE=rando]Huh? You mean NO more than $3500?

Rando[/QUOTE
Yeah thats what I meant. Hell you can pick up bikes all day long for not much more than he wants.
Rock]
post #13 of 27 Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 12:34 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rando
I understand the resale will be negatively affected by the salvage title and am concerned about this in the event that I ride it a while and decide to change bikes.
But he's trying to re-sell it to you, so you should get the benefits of a hugely reduced price.

Quote:
From what I've seen on ebay, the BMWs aren't selling all that well anyway.
So why pay close to full value for a salvage, when there are lots of other LTs out there for around the same price? I think Rock is right here; if you can't get a great deal then don't bother.

Quote:
I'm thinking I should stay away from it.
That sounds about right. I don't see anything special about this deal to outweigh the potential negatives. Maybe you can offer him a certified cashiers check for $5,000 over the bike's selling price, and he can refund the difference to you in cash?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #14 of 27 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 9:30 am Thread Starter

Thanks again guys. The price isn't too good when you consider all the others out there with clean titles for not too much more.

Rando
post #15 of 27 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 12:28 pm

I've purchased a couple of salvage bikes with good luck. They were both theft recoveries rather than totaled so repairs weren't serious (one had been dropped at low speed when the thief dismounted before fully stopping in hopes of evading capture). They were priced right and mechanically sound. Since I didn't plan on selling them (still have them) I wasn't worried about resale. I wouldn't pay that close to retail for a salvage bike though.
post #16 of 27 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 6:27 pm

One thing that hasn't been mentioned was whether your insurance company will insure a salvaged bike. I know when I was placing insurance on our bike the insurance company (Geico)asked whether it had a salvage title. If it did they wouldn't insure it.

'Big B"
BMWMOA #127497
1999 K1200LTI "Canyon Red"

post #17 of 27 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 8:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBlack1045
One thing that hasn't been mentioned was whether your insurance company will insure a salvaged bike. I know when I was placing insurance on our bike the insurance company (Geico)asked whether it had a salvage title. If it did they wouldn't insure it.
It is only salvaged title until it is rebuilt. A salvage is basicly a certificate of origin (at least in PA,) to show where you got these parts from (read as not stolen)
Then it is filed for reconstructed title, which along with special construction are no day at the beach to get insured.
Rock

Last edited by UncleRock; Jul 24th, 2006 at 8:13 pm. Reason: spelling
post #18 of 27 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 8:57 pm

How long before your wrist is healed and ready to tackle an 840 lbs bike?
If we are talking several months you might as well wait for winter as there are better deals then.
Please pass on that "Damaged" bike. Even if you get it cheap... it will always be a cheap bike with no way to re-sell it. And in the back of your mind there will always be doubts...! Can you realistically feel comfortable that the frame is not bent somewhere or that some sub-frame tabs aren't working themselves broken?
Keep looking in the classified as summer comes to an end, and you will find what you want, in decent shape, with no bad history.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #19 of 27 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 8:43 am Thread Starter

The wrist is just about ready to handle a motorcycle. I know there are many variables to consider, though. Most situations the wrist is fine. The posture on the LT feels fine with wrist as is. I know getting it off sidestand may be a chore, as well as parking lot maneuvers. But what else can I do? I hate to think I've got to start from scratch again. At this point, if I find a great deal, I want to go ahead and buy and it can sit. I have found one good deal - actually Tarheel Rider found it for me, and I have teh option to buy a friend;s locally. But even my friend who wants to sell his said this other bike is better deal.

If we get to winter, I'll buy then. I'm trying to get ready and be ready when I find a good deal, even if I don;t get to ride a lot right now.

thanks for the thoughts
rando
post #20 of 27 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 10:01 am

Quote:
In my quest to find the "perfect" LT for me, I came across this one. Not thinking seriously about it, just thinking about it.

I know salvage title is not a good thing really, but I would like to hear some opinions on it. Here is the link
Rando

be carefull some ins companies in some states will not insure a damaged or salvage title, some states will not let yyou register one at all

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #21 of 27 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 11:10 am

Quote:

If we get to winter, I'll buy then. I'm trying to get ready and be ready when I find a good deal, even if I don;t get to ride a lot right now.

thanks for the thoughts
rando
Remember the best time to buy a bike is between Thanksgiving and Christmas, when people are looking to get into debt for next year. (Old lady naggin, "you never ride that bike much anyhow, we need the money to buy little Johnny that Mustang he wants, all his friends have cool cars. How can he show up at school with a VW etc)
The best time to sell a bike is right around Daytona bike week after people have been cooped up all winter and the spring fever is settin in on them.
It's kinda like hunting, you just have to know the seasonal movment of the herd, and I been studying it for over 3 decades.
Rock
post #22 of 27 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 1:29 pm Thread Starter

I will not wait that long, I know me. : ) I'm ready to buy the one 4 blocks away from me, which is an average deal on a bike in a color I don;t really like. Where are all the MAUVE ones, anyway????

Thanks for the tips though....
rando
post #23 of 27 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 1:31 pm

Quote:
The wrist is just about ready to handle a motorcycle. I know there are many variables to consider, though. Most situations the wrist is fine. The posture on the LT feels fine with wrist as is. I know getting it off sidestand may be a chore, as well as parking lot maneuvers.
JM2CW but seems like you are rushing the process. If you think you will have a problem getting the LT of the side stand.. and parking lot maneuvers will be a chore you might do yourself more harm should you have to take some sort of evasive action. We all know it can be dangerous out there.

Probably not what you want to read.. Last time I 'totaled' my machine I started shopping when I could ride the prospective replacement bike. That gave me extra time to heal as I got the hardware and kept me from being too foolish. Not that you are!

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #24 of 27 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 1:48 pm Thread Starter

Ah but I said "may be a chore". I haven't even sat on many of them yet, maybe two or three. Seems like I got one upright though. It's mostly in the legs to lift it off side stand. I used to kick my shadow upright with my thigh to demonstrate that it's not in the arms to straighten the bike.

I may ask a friend if I can ride his a little in teh next week or so, to see. It's kinda hard to find someone that will let you piddle around on a bike when you have a wrist brace on. Which is only a part-time thing now.

I feel like I'm ready to try. I understand your concerns, gosh knows my wife is saying the same things. Are you in cahoots with her???lol

And I am in agreement with you on evasive actions. This is going to be similar to learning to ride all over again in that the BEST thing to do if I don;t by the bike w/in walking distance of me is to have a friend ride it or be ready to ride it home for me. Then play around in the neighborhoods, til am fully ready to get back into traffic with wrist and all. I've had plenty of time to think this over and I am trying to avoid breaking any part of me again. I do however, want to get a bike and begin piddling on it again.

Rando
post #25 of 27 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 1:54 pm

Quote:

I feel like I'm ready to try. I understand your concerns, gosh knows my wife is saying the same things. Are you in cahoots with her???lol Rando
Just reminding you of that inner voice..

Sounds like you are just impatient.

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #26 of 27 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 2:01 pm Thread Starter

Inner voice is saying BUY IT NOW!!!!! Yes to impatient. I think I've done a good job not buying a bike yet. My wife tells me everytime she knows I'm going to look at one to not buy it yet.

Told ya I'd talk to ya soon again.....lol
rando
post #27 of 27 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 4:32 pm

Totaled?

I tipped over in a ditch scratching all the tupperware on the right side. Quote from the dealer was over $6000. It is a '99 with then 55,000 miles on it. The ins. co. felt it was a total, I did not. It is only plastic damage. Ah, but the dealer charges $75 an hour to fix it. That was $2500 of the estimate. So I took the loss and bought it back as salvage and will repair it myself for less than a grand buying used but excellent parts off ebay and beemerboneyard and the like. My ins. co. is insuring it for liability only right now but after I take it to them and they can take pictures they will insure it for comp and collision again.

It is true it will have a salvage title and be hard to sell if I tried. I will most likely ride it another 60k before I even think about that.

Since the "total" I have put 5,000 miles on it, runs like it was new. If you buy a bike from a stranger you are taking a risk. You don't know what it has gone through, could have been close to a total loss but not quite make it, then what have you got? On the other hand if the seller of the afore mentioned bike has receipts showing parts replaced/repaired and can tell why it was salvaged in the first place you might reconcider it, for substantialy less than what he is asking. I bought my salvage back from the ins. co. for $2400. If I were to sell it I would expect maybe to get $5000 for it. Maybe. Just because it has that Salvage on it.

Good luck. Take your time, your bike will find you!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in