cautiously optimistic - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Nov 25th, 2014, 1:50 pm Thread Starter

Smile cautiously optimistic

Well 99 LT maybe finally on the mend. I gotta tell you I have read, and read , and read tons of info on this forum. Mostly about poor idle and hesitation issues.
Finally took a look at the spark plug wires. I had not done so before as the guy that sold it to me said it had been done already. Shoulda known, had three good wires and one that reminded me of the old make your own length wires we used to buy for a car years ago. Between the boot and the wire there is a way to more or less thread the boot onto the wire to make a better connection. Nope was not done so what would happen is spark was having to jump twice I believe and would not always do so.
Second big difference was the 02 sensor we put in yesterday. Still letting the computer re map but I am encouraged so far.
Probably easy for some to figure out but this bike has been in Mexico for six years already and it gives a whole new meaning to the term jerry rig which does not work with a BMW motorcycle.
Anyway time to finally enjoy the ultimate riding machine. I will not even go into what they did with the brake lines, geeezzzzzz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Nov 25th, 2014, 2:21 pm Thread Starter

Re: cautiously optimistic

Actually looks like a slow news day so possibly good for a laugh is the photos of the brake line adaptation that was done
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	69425   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	69433  
post #3 of 4 Old Nov 25th, 2014, 3:28 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Hey Richard,

That is innovative maintenance at its finest!! Glad you are finally getting to enjoy the old girl like she should be.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 Old Nov 25th, 2014, 5:13 pm
Lifetime Supporter

If the gap in the wire exceeds the gap in the plug, it will become intermittent, as one coil feeds two cylinders. Path of least resistance and all that stuff. I know there's only one coil pack, but it should have two coils in it. One fires 1 & 4 while the other fires 2 & 3 since the corresponding cylinders hit TDC at the same time. So unless it's different from any other four cylinder I've ever seen it should be set up the same.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in