Rear Latch Failure - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Jul 21st, 2006, 8:58 am Thread Starter

Angry Rear Latch Failure

My rear trunk latch broke this week. The right top corner of the latch separated from the latch connector inside. There is now a 1 inch by 1 inch corner missing from the latch handle. The latch is only partially working and I am afraid it will jam shut if not repaired. I contacted Morton's BMW and was told that my Pinnacle Extended Warranty would not cover this repair. They are contacting BMW to see if BMW will give me partial coverage as a good customer and because my factory warranty expired only last November and I have approx. 30,000 miles on the odometer. They estimate the rear trunk replacement at $800 and hope that BMW will cover half. Any suggestions? Has anyone been approved for this repair from Pinnacle? Should I just put the money towards a Millenhaus latch assembly since the BMW latch has had problems? Anyone with experience with the Millenhaus latch? How hard is it to install and what was the actual cost, including shipping? Thanks. John Hieronymus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Jul 21st, 2006, 11:06 am

I would go with the Millenhaus, or the other one that seems to now be available. Replacing with a known bad design instead of an improved one just does not make much sense if you have to pay even half, which is more than the better design.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #3 of 6 Old Jul 21st, 2006, 1:12 pm Thread Starter

Rear Latch Failure

Dave: Thanks. What other latch are you referring to? I am only aware of the Millenhaus aftermarket replacement. John

post #4 of 6 Old Jul 21st, 2006, 2:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhieronymus
Dave: Thanks. What other latch are you referring to? I am only aware of the Millenhaus aftermarket replacement. John
See this post from yesterday:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showpost...01&postcount=1

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #5 of 6 Old Jul 21st, 2006, 3:29 pm Thread Starter

Rear Latch Failure

Thanks Dave
post #6 of 6 Old Jul 21st, 2006, 3:31 pm

The Millenhaus kit is $339 + $10 for shipping to the lower 48. Yes - we do ship outside the US.

Shipping is via UPS ground - UPS says "3 to 5 days" to deliver, but I did have one take 8 days to be delivered. We can ship faster or by different carrier, but it does cost more (actual costs only).

We've had most of our customers write back with their impressions. It's posted to the Millenhaus forum in the Vendors section here, on our web site and a few threads here and there in this forums. Site is at http://millenhaus.com

You can also see the installation instructions at the web site - see what all is involved and be ready for it.

To order - just send an email to me at "lt-bits 'at' kc7zru 'dot' net" .

I accept paypal and money orders.

Yup - lifetime warranty against breakage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in