Rear Brake Pad Replacement - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Fun Bobby

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Nov 23rd, 2014, 8:56 pm Thread Starter

Rear Brake Pad Replacement

The rear pads on my 2000LT are at the end of their wear life. It appears EBC pads are preferred by the forum. Is there a favored website to order pads and is there a particular composition (compound) of rear EBC pads that should be ordered?

Thanks,

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 23rd, 2014, 9:34 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Rear Brake Pad Replacement

I like these guys: Click here

When I put the semi-metalic pads on the stock rotor it wore the rotor pretty bad. I like these "organic" pads for the stock rotors. I put the EBC rotor on my bike and the simi-metalic pads work well with their rotor. You can buy 3 sets for the price of BMW pads, and really the wear is not that much better on the BMW pads. I haven't noticed any change in stopping power with the EBC pads.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (3/2018 to present) 68k (Totaled! 8/11/19 Deer strike)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 R1200GSW
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
> 28k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles (Sold)
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k

Old Nov 23rd, 2014, 9:54 pm

I put ceramic on mine , to me theres none better of course my opinion

Old Nov 24th, 2014, 9:39 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion Ernie, a pair of EBC organic pads are on the way.

From watching the Northern Illinois BMW club video, changing the pads appears fairly straight forward. This is my first LT pad replacement. I'll read the procedure in the manual, but are there any lessons learned from other folks that may prevent me from making a mistake. Some questions that come to mind are: 1) Should the brake resevoir cap be removed or the bleeder valve opened when prying back the calipers? 2) Will the rear brakes require bleeding after the pads are installed?

Thanks for the noob assistance,

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL
Old Nov 24th, 2014, 9:53 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Since it is a 2000 you should at least check the reservoir and see how full it is as it will rise when you push the pistons back. May need to remove a little. No bleed is required. Pay attention to the orientation of the rattle spring when you remove it from the caliper. Otherwise it is straight forward.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	99-2001 & 05-09 rear.PNG
Views:	106
Size:	226.4 KB
ID:	69313  

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

Old Nov 24th, 2014, 11:52 am
Enjoy The Ride

The front & rear caliper bolts are different so keep them in order. The one with the built in shoulder goes to the rear.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

Old Nov 24th, 2014, 11:59 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun Bobby View Post
Thanks for the suggestion Ernie, a pair of EBC organic pads are on the way.

From watching the Northern Illinois BMW club video, changing the pads appears fairly straight forward. This is my first LT pad replacement. I'll read the procedure in the manual, but are there any lessons learned from other folks that may prevent me from making a mistake. Some questions that come to mind are: 1) Should the brake resevoir cap be removed or the bleeder valve opened when prying back the calipers? 2) Will the rear brakes require bleeding after the pads are installed?

Thanks for the noob assistance,

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL
I concur with John with his advice (see below). I would also like to add having some "brake clean" handy to clean around the caliper pistons before prying (gently) them back into the caliper housing. No need in testing the resolve of caliper piston seals.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (3/2018 to present) 68k (Totaled! 8/11/19 Deer strike)

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles (Sold)
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k

Old Nov 24th, 2014, 2:08 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
The rear pads on my 2000LT are at the end of their wear life. It appears EBC pads are preferred by the forum. Is there a favored website to order pads and is there a particular composition (compound) of rear EBC pads that should be ordered?

Thanks,

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL
I forget the brand, but I got mine from BBY. They have worked fine and are wearing about the same as the OEM rear pads.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

Old Nov 24th, 2014, 2:13 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieA View Post
I concur with John with his advice (see below). I would also like to add having some "brake clean" handy to clean around the caliper pistons before prying (gently) them back into the caliper housing. No need in testing the resolve of caliper piston seals.
I personally try to avoid brake cleaner as it can be rough on the rubber parts. I first blow the dust off with air and then use Dawn detergent on water and toothbrush to gently scrub around the pistons before compressing them into the bores.

Works great and is gentle on the seals. Not quite as fast and convenient as brake cleaner, but safer and friendlier to both man and beast. :-)

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

Old Nov 24th, 2014, 2:55 pm

The first time I changed the rear pads on my K1200LT I just followed the directions in my Clymer manual. Yes, you really will find it easier on the side stand. When I got through though I convinced myself it was a trick and it really couldn't be that easy.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

Old Nov 29th, 2014, 8:35 am Thread Starter

JZeiler, I haven't quite sorted out your attached diagram. Are the insets the ABS connection points throughout the 99-01 ABS? The rear EBC pads arrived yesterday, and it's time for some noob wrenching.

Rob, 2000 LT
Navarre, FL
ErnieA likes this.
Old Nov 29th, 2014, 10:20 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
JZeiler, I haven't quite sorted out your attached diagram. Are the insets the ABS connection points throughout the 99-01 ABS? The rear EBC pads arrived yesterday, and it's time for some noob wrenching.

Rob, 2000 LT
Navarre, FL
Sorry, the intent was to show the reservoir and I should have circled it. The rest of it just shows all the rear connections. Also no need to remove the caliper at all.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Old Nov 30th, 2014, 6:06 pm Thread Starter

The rear brake pad replacement was a straightforward repair and ops checked good on the test ride - thanks for the inputs. My biggest issue was spilling a bit of DOT 4 fluid topping off the rear reservoir (promptly cleaned with soap and water).

Attached is a photo of the old pads with the new ones for wear comparison which brings up a question. As the old pads wore and the brake fluid reservoir decreased, would this set off the ABS warning indicator? Would topping off the reservoir reset the ABS warning indicator or would the failure remain in static memory until a dealer or GS-911 reset was accomplished?

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Old and New Brake Pads.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	653.7 KB
ID:	69722  
Old Nov 30th, 2014, 7:32 pm

Quote:
The rear brake pad replacement was a straightforward repair and ops checked good on the test ride - thanks for the inputs. My biggest issue was spilling a bit of DOT 4 fluid topping off the rear reservoir (promptly cleaned with soap and water).

Attached is a photo of the old pads with the new ones for wear comparison which brings up a question. As the old pads wore and the brake fluid reservoir decreased, would this set off the ABS warning indicator? Would topping off the reservoir reset the ABS warning indicator or would the failure remain in static memory until a dealer or GS-911 reset was accomplished?

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL
Your signature shows a 2000 model - on these having ABSII (also called ABS2), there is NO fluid level monitoring sensor, so the system CANNOT tell when fluid is low. However, running the small container dry (for rear brake) might eventually trigger some kind of internal pressure fault when brakes or ABS is used - I doubt it as ABS2 is pretty dumb and simple.

On later models having IABS (late 2001 to 2009), there is 2 fluid level sensor (1 for rear and 1 for front) that monitor either:
(A) the 2 sections white container located on right side (2001-2004) or
(B) the 2 small containers located on top of the ABS modulator (2005-2009)

For all years (ABS2 or IABS), the system has no way to monitor fluid level at handlebar master-cylinder (fluid is called for the Control-circuit on IABS).

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."
Old Nov 30th, 2014, 9:09 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Sailor. Great noob explanation of the difference between the ABS2 and iABS. I was really hoping the ABS fault indication was related to the reservoir. It was 2/3's full. I'd like to try a GS911 ABS reset, but I don't think Santa will be leaving one under the tree.

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL
Old Dec 1st, 2014, 7:11 am

Quote:
Thanks Sailor. Great noob explanation of the difference between the ABS2 and iABS. I was really hoping the ABS fault indication was related to the reservoir. It was 2/3's full. I'd like to try a GS911 ABS reset, but I don't think Santa will be leaving one under the tree.

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL
Rob,
Any remaining faults on ABS2 will need a GS911 (or dealer) as they stay in memory, even if you unplug main battery. I could do it with my GS911, however I am a bit too far from your place ;-)

Just ask on the forum, there is quite possibly someone nearby having a GS911. Maybe start a new thread with a very clear title like: "Need a GS911 near NAVARRE (FL)...."

John (Montreal, CANADA)
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."
Old Dec 1st, 2014, 8:27 am Thread Starter

Sailor, as much as I would love to accept your offer for a GS911 reset, I'll pass. Its not the distance, its your weather this time of year . I'll stay where its nice and warm. Good idea on posting to the forum for GS911 assistance. Thanks.

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL
Old Dec 1st, 2014, 11:29 am

Quote:
Sailor, as much as I would love to accept your offer for a GS911 reset, I'll pass. Its not the distance, its your weather this time of year . I'll stay where its nice and warm. Good idea on posting to the forum for GS911 assistance. Thanks.

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL
One important item for GS911:
BEFORE the ABS faults are erased (reset), make sure the list of current ABS faults in memory are read. This might give you a clue about the cause of fault(s) past or present. On ABS2, the most common are (1) incorrect Wheel-speed-sensors gap (2) Low battery voltage

John (Montreal, CANADA)
Old Dec 1st, 2014, 7:35 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

The wear on your pads is very unusual. I have always found the inner pad worn more than the outer. Of course the previous owner may have periodically swapped them for even wear. I have been through three sets of rear pads but still on the original set of fronts in 10 years and 90 K. I use engine braking mostly and started dragging the rear as I decelerated to light the brake lights. I just don't like to stop! Unless I have to for a deer or cage!

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in