Considering a 2003 KT1200LT - Need Info. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 9:40 pm Thread Starter

Considering a 2003 K1200LT - Need Info.

I am considering buying a 2003 K1200LT with 39k mikes. Anyone know anything I need to know about this model of bike before buying? never owned a Beemer before so I need information. Thanks

Last edited by cccpastorjack; Jul 20th, 2006 at 9:49 pm. Reason: misspelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 20th, 2006, 9:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccpastorjack
I am considering buying a 2003 KT1200LT with 39k mikes. Anyone know anything I need to know about this model of bike before buying? never owned a Beemer before so I need information. Thanks
A KT1200LT? Never heard of it. I own a 2002 K1200LT though. I know a leetle bit.

Where are you located?
What's the asking price?
What color is it?
What options does it have?
Is it a Custom, or Elite model? Or just the Standard?
What additional accessories are included?
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 9:51 pm

Welcome to the site.
We have many knowledgeable members here that are more than willing to help.

This topic has arisen many times before.

Perhaps you could make a more specific inquiry ?
Perhaps going to the Site FAQ link, near the bottom are the K1200LT specific FAQ link, the Hall of Wisdom Link.

The Search link will provide a wealth of information.

As far as your question,

The bike is GREAT, its not perfect, but obviously WE love it.

Its the most comfortable tourer around, and it can make you think its a sport bike at times.

Its not super fast, or super tourqey, but does the job well.

It is heavy at parking lot speeds, but just a few mph will melt the weight away to peg scraping fun !!

It comes with many ammenities that most others don't even offer.

If you can, test ride one, even a newer one will give you a good idea.
The 2005-2006 have a slightly different rake, more hp, and a narrower seat. The newer ones tend to be slightly better maneuvering at low speeds and a tad quicker, but many prefer the older seat.

James Ranks
2008 BMW R1200RT 7200 miles
2005 BMW R1200GS 13000 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha FZ1 (Sold) 11000 miles
2002 BMW K1200LTC 29900 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha VSTAR-650 Silverado (Sold) 9100 miles

Old Jul 20th, 2006, 9:52 pm Thread Starter

I am located in North Carolina (Huntersville). The asking price is 11k...bike is in great shape and has been maintained well by dealer. Has a lot of chrome and some extras. Not sure of the specific model. it is a very light purple. It does have a 6 cd changer. Just didn't know if there were any negatives (inherent flaws, etc) that I needed to be aware of. I rode the bike and it had a wobble - they said from a worn rear tire - which they are replacing and claimed would solve that. Thanks
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 10:04 pm

You might search for rear drive threads, read those. The 2003 is probably fine.

You might search the tire threads and decide which ones you want, If he's gonna pay, get what you want. There are very limited choices, and you have to make sure you get the correct load rated tires. (It is a heavy bike).

See if you can get the alarm codes from him too, along with the owners manual. It should have two key fobs, but the alarm can be set to function in different ways. The most common way, the bike is immobilized until the keyfob is pressed, but if the keyfob battery dies, you have to know the alarm code and go through a contortion of on-off with the key while watching the led to unlock the immobilizer.

James Ranks
2008 BMW R1200RT 7200 miles
2005 BMW R1200GS 13000 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha FZ1 (Sold) 11000 miles
2002 BMW K1200LTC 29900 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha VSTAR-650 Silverado (Sold) 9100 miles

Last edited by ranks; Jul 20th, 2006 at 10:11 pm.
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 10:10 pm

Quote:
I am located in North Carolina (Huntersville). The asking price is 11k...bike is in great shape and has been maintained well by dealer. Has a lot of chrome and some extras. Not sure of the specific model. it is a very light purple. It does have a 6 cd changer. Just didn't know if there were any negatives (inherent flaws, etc) that I needed to be aware of. I rode the bike and it had a wobble - they said from a worn rear tire - which they are replacing and claimed would solve that. Thanks
Would that me Mauve Metallic in color? Some like it! Lots of chrome would indicate it is a Custom model, and while it has some flaws, most of which have been discussed ad nauseum on this forum, the LT is a great bike. If you like the color go for it and I hope you have many safe and happy miles with her.

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 10:19 pm

2003 K1200LT
Excellent choice.
Bought mine used last year with only 1300 miles on it.
I don't want to mention the price cuz it was a good deal.
Got 21K on it now. Took two trips west, not a spot of trouble.
Knock on wood. If the price is right go for it.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 10:48 pm

Quote:
11K for a 2003 in good condition is a very fair price. 2003 was a very good year.

If the wobble was at around 35-45 MPH, it is likely from a worn and feathered FRONT tire, or wheel out of balance. The front "headshake" is not common, but does show up more on a few bikes than most. Nearly always corrected by a new front tire and good balance job.

If the bike is wobbling at other speeds though, it "could" be related to a bad rear tire, or bent wheel. Also if the swing arm or final drive pivot bearings are either damaged or incorrectly torqued you can get a wobble as the rear axle moves around a little.

Make the deal based on the dealer solving the wobble problem FIRST!

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 11:01 pm
Ted

Quote:
it is a very light purple.
I purchased my 2003 in July 2003. At that time, there were 3 available colors: Silver, Anthracite, and Copper.

Sometimes the excess tupperware inventory is carried over to the next model year, so this may be a 2003 bike with 2002 clothes. Or, it could be fraud.

Check the build date - found on a sticker under the seat, or go to this link and input the last 7 digits of the Vin #:

http://www.bmw-z1.com/VIN/VINdecode-e.cgi

Good luck!

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

Old Jul 21st, 2006, 8:08 am

I'm not an expert like many of the guys on here but I have done a lot of reading on this site since last fall. The bikes are great overall but there are a few weak points that if anything is going to fail these will.

1. The rear drive bearing. I'm not too worried about it since I've got AAA and I'll repair it if it happens to me. I am looking for a spare drive to have on hand just in case though.

2. The clutch slave cylinder. Not really a big deal but if it does leak it could ruin your clutch and that is considerably more expensive to fix. There is a "weep hole" fix discussed on this site to prevent the clutch from ever being destroyed. That is on my short list of projects to get done this summer.

3. Weak starter relay on the earlier bikes. The 2003 may be OK but I forget which year the relay was changed.

4. Fuel tank vent filter. Search for canisterectomy and you'll see what this is all about. It isn't a big deal to eliminate the problem but just make sure you never overfill the fuel tank if the canister isn't removed.

Other than that it is mostly routine maintenance items. There are a ton of people on this forum that will go out of their way to help with any situation that arises. It amazes me how helpful people are here.

Good Luck,
Kevin

1999 K1200LT, patiently waiting for a new model.

Slave Cylinder Procedure->
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 8:39 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevincook
I'm not an expert like many of the guys on here but I have done a lot of reading on this site since last fall. The bikes are great overall but there are a few weak points that if anything is going to fail these will.

1. The rear drive bearing. I'm not too worried about it since I've got AAA and I'll repair it if it happens to me. I am looking for a spare drive to have on hand just in case though.

2. The clutch slave cylinder. Not really a big deal but if it does leak it could ruin your clutch and that is considerably more expensive to fix. There is a "weep hole" fix discussed on this site to prevent the clutch from ever being destroyed. That is on my short list of projects to get done this summer.

3. Weak starter relay on the earlier bikes. The 2003 may be OK but I forget which year the relay was changed.

4. Fuel tank vent filter. Search for canisterectomy and you'll see what this is all about. It isn't a big deal to eliminate the problem but just make sure you never overfill the fuel tank if the canister isn't removed.

Other than that it is mostly routine maintenance items. There are a ton of people on this forum that will go out of their way to help with any situation that arises. It amazes me how helpful people are here.

Good Luck,
Kevin
Good advice Kevin. On the bearing issue, from what I have read since I had the bearing on my 2001 bike replaced preemptively, I would have simply pulled it apart and inspected it for smoothness before replacement. I still have the original 19 ball bearing, and it is smooth as a new one, but I paid to have it replaced, and it was done. Your last point about the people on this forum is spot on!

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 4:40 pm

Carefully inspect the area between the engine and transmission for oil seepage. Its rare, but seepage there indicates an expensive repair.

You will want to check the last time the brake and clutch fluids were changed, along with the antifreeze, engine, trany and rear end fluids.

Owners manuals, especially for the radio. Tool kit.

Make sure the trunk latch operates smoothly.

New battery would be nice.

Best aspect of the LT is this site.

The dealer needs to show you where the antifreeze over fill is, how to check brake fluid, how to check and add engine oil; where the vin is; show you how to pick up the LT if you drop it. Go over getting it up on the center stand, and getting it down. better to practice it there with a "spotter"

Many people change at least the low beam head light. The stock one is only good up to about 30mph.

Happy Trails from Tucson
Bob, 00LT
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 10:16 pm

E-x-t-e-n-d-e-d w-a-r-r-a-n-t-e-e-e-e-e-e

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 5:06 pm
was

I agree with all those who have posted. A word about BMW dealers: It sounds like you have a dealer fairly close by. Unless you plan to do most of your mechanical work yourself, or you have more than one dealer in the area, your relationship to this dealer is going to be important. BMW dealerships are closing faster than new ones are opening, as far as I can tell. Is this dealer someone who is reasonable, flexible, and concerned about the customer, or is he/she someone who will sell you the bike knowing that you have few options but to come back for repair?

As for the bike itself - I love it, have had very few problems with it, and ride it all year 'round if there is no snow or ice on the road. Best purchase I ever made if I factor in pure enjoyment. Good luck.

Bill
Guilford, CT
'99 Canyon Red K1200 LT - Buddah Bike
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 8:00 pm

Had a 2003 and traded it for a 2005 because of the lowered seat height. I am 5'8" and the 03 (even with the lowered seat option) was a handful at low speeds especially with a passenger. The passenger seat is higher than the driver's and creates a very high center of gravity. The lowered seat and change in rake on the 05 has made it much better, still not great at low speeds but much better than the 05. The electronic center stand also makes it much easier at my height.
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 10:46 am

This is a great thread fro me too. I am looking at a BLACK 2003. 14K miles, $11.5K. So now we have two different colors that are not listed as 03s. My closest deraler is going to be an hour a way. 3 others w/n 2 hours. Carolina Euro in Greensboro NC closest, followed by Hickory, NC, Charlotte NC, and Capital BMW in Raleigh on the outskirts of that 2 hours.

I have not ridden anything since my crash on 5/31, but am thinking the LT looks like exactly what i want. Might prefer a Wing for service issues and all , but the initial cost of the BMW is more attractive. The current owner of the 03 I'm looking at says the oil changes can be done at home and aI am fairly mechanical. SO hopefully this will be a good match.

I have been devouring this site trying to find all I need to know about hte bikes, so when I go ride, I'll be ready. I talked to a fellow MSF instructor that happens to be a woman and she said in 60Kmiles, she never dropped hers. She was explaining things she felt that contributed to the slow speed heaviness. She also said I would not regret it.

I can't wait, as excited as my kids at Christmas and will hopefully be riding by my 40th b-day on Labor Day weekend.

Thanks
Rando
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 9:07 pm
Ted

There were some Black 2003's which fell into the category that I described above (2002 tupperware on 2003 guts) - and a few people on this board have or had legitimate Black 2003's.

I do not recall anyone ever mentioning a Mauve 2003, though...

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in