Anybody use airbnb.com for the night - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Nov 20th, 2014, 9:40 pm Thread Starter

Anybody use airbnb.com for the night

I know it was asked before on a nother thread about this www.airbnb.com its about places to go over night and I been doing a little research on it and it does look real interesting and it does look like it would be cheaper way of going vs. moteling it;; especially if you went with a few couples or went with a few other riders so my queston is has anybody ever used this for place to go for the night

Gary
2003 K1200LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Nov 20th, 2014, 11:45 pm
Super Moderator

Re: Anybody use airbnb.com for the night

Yes, been using them for several years. Used them recently at the BMWRA
rally in 2013 in Asheville, NC - stayed in a log cabin type place.

Doc Edkin - CCR Chairman and his wife Robin have been using them
extensively for both domestic and international travel as well over the past few
years. Never had a bad experience. Infact they used them at the BMWMOA
rally this year in Minneapolis / St. Paul. We stopped by to visit with them and
boy was it an interesting home the stayed at. Robin really likes the variety of
places and is always excited about the places she finds to stay at.

Dan Finazzo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #3 of 7 Old Nov 21st, 2014, 6:19 am

Yes, we used them in October in Vermont. We stayed in some interesting places. One was the loft of a barn converted into sleeping quarters.

Enjoy, Robert.

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

post #4 of 7 Old Nov 21st, 2014, 7:02 am Thread Starter

I was just wondering how far in advance do you have to give them notice that you are coming for the night like say you are on a bike trip and with in the next 4 hours I will probabaly now where I will be and you get on and check thier site and find something could a guy make that work

Gary
2003 K1200LT
post #5 of 7 Old Nov 22nd, 2014, 8:22 am

I have use it several times some good and some bad. Check any photo listed closely. I'm not on air bnb but if any board members heading to Pa. Can stay here free for a couple of nites. We are close to Gettysburg and Lancaster. Great sightseeing area full of history. If coming to the area just give me a shout.
post #6 of 7 Old Nov 23rd, 2014, 8:44 pm

Me and my girlfriend have an extra room in our house and we have rented it on Airbnb in Duluth, MN. People usually reserve it a few days in advance. We have had a few same day reservations its not a big deal except my girlfriend likes to make it extra clean before people come so that might stress her out last minute. Also you might have limited availability last minute.
post #7 of 7 Old Nov 23rd, 2014, 10:10 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryEm View Post
I know it was asked before on a nother thread about this www.airbnb.com its about places to go over night and I been doing a little research on it and it does look real interesting and it does look like it would be cheaper way of going vs. moteling it;; especially if you went with a few couples or went with a few other riders so my queston is has anybody ever used this for place to go for the night

I only used it once and had a bad experience. Was more than two years ago in Canada near Thessalon. Found a place and airbnb said to call proprietor directly to schedule. I did that and she said she had a room and the web site pictures looked nice. I asked her if I needed to reserve through the airbnb site and she said she would take care of it. That probably should have been my first warning.

Turns out the place was 25 or so miles north of Thessalon on a small lake. By the time we got there is was only an hour from dark so going somewhere else wasn't a good option as it was 40 minutes back to the TransCanada. Turns out the main guest house was full and this is where all the web site pictures were from. We were actually upstairs in the proprietors very small cottage. I think it was only 20'x20' with two upstairs bedrooms and a single bath downstairs with the kitchen and living room. Jane, the proprietor had her granddaughter staying with her also. The lake was beautiful as the sun set, but the accommodations were not great with no privacy and no place to put your toiletries in her bathroom as it was small and full of her stuff. The bedroom was small with sloped ceilings too low for a 6' person and their was no AC and no wifi, both of which were advertised on the web site. She also had a tank type sewer system and didn't want you to fill it too fast. She actually had a sign in the bathroom above the toilet that said something like this "If it's yellow, let it mellow. Only if brown, do you flush it down."

Jane was a pleasant host and fixed a very nice breakfast and ended up charging us a little less when I mentioned the pictures seemed to not match the accommodations, but it was still something like $90 which was hardly a good deal. I later found a nice motel that was only another 30 miles or do down the main highway. I should have used TripAdvisor as I now routinely do. Iupon my return, I went to post a bad review on airbnb and found that they knew nothing of my stay! Seems that Jane bypassed the airbnb system.

I just checked airbnb and I can no longer find her listing so maybe they booted her off. I think she was on Lake Cummings, but I don't recall for sure two+ years later. I no longer use airbnb as I find Tripadvisor to better suit my needs for B&Bs and motels.

I did some more searching and found the place now listed in a different service: http://www.bbcanada.com/mundys

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

Last edited by Voyager; Nov 23rd, 2014 at 10:27 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in