Wheel Chocks - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By hschisler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Nov 18th, 2014, 7:55 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Wheel Chocks

Hi all:

Has anyone been successful using a wheel chock with their LT? I bought one from Cycle Rider and finally installed it last month. The chock has three slots to mount the pivot point. Using a trick another BMW (non-LT) rider recommended was to drape a plastic shopping bag over the wheel stop to ease getting the tire to unseat, as tires tend to stick to the stop without the bag - see picture).

I first tried the rear-most slot, thinking that position would secure the bike the best, but found that I couldn't get the bike out of it by myself. My former weight-lifter neighbor and I struggled and finally got the bike to back out of the chock (I couldn't get the reverse gear engaged, as I couldn't rock the bike back and forth to engage the gear). My neighbor left and I changed the pivot point to the front slot, and although the bike's front tire is nearer the pivot point, I still cannot get the bike out of the chock by myself. Any pointers? At this point, I don't plan to use the chock and go back to just using the hydraulic center stand as I've done since I first got the bike. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20141118_165041_933.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	69201  

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Nov 18th, 2014, 11:34 pm

Re: Wheel Chocks

I use the Baxley Sport Chock on my LT. Works very well and I have no issues getting out of the chock. The Baxley has a lock feature that also holds the tire tight.

Baxley Trailer Sport Chock

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 Old Nov 19th, 2014, 10:10 am

Hi, I didn't mount mine . I use mine in different places and is handy to hang on my garage wall when I'm not using it. I mostly use it when changing the tranny oil. The rest of the time my '02 sits on the side stand.
To back it out, I can get it in reverse because it isn't mounted solid and it'll scoot a bit to let me engage the reverse gear. I then have 2 blocks of wood(left over from building my pole shed garage)that are 8" x8" x 14"s long. One on each side so I can place my feet on them and lift to the rear as I push the starter(reverse button). Works great for me.
I've never parked in mine long enough to worry about it sticking.

If I remember right, there is one position just for our 17" wheel. Less chance of it coming out on it's own, like on a trailer. Mine doesn't have a lock so I use a strap to tie the wheel to the front of the chock.

Just my .02's on the topic.

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====

post #4 of 11 Old Nov 19th, 2014, 2:59 pm

If you have a welder and it was that difficult for you, I would try welding a lever on the part that the tire sits on that you could push with your foot to get the bike off
post #5 of 11 Old Nov 19th, 2014, 7:36 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Thanks for the replies/suggestions. I went to the Progressive MC Show in Long Beach last weekend and saw a bunch of Condor wheel chocks in use and liked their apparent build quality. I also just got back from Cycle Gear, where they offered to exchange my WC for another one or offered to apply the purchase price and give a 15% discount on a Condor. I don't know if I still want to go the WC route now and if I do, is the Condor worth the net additional $180Ö. Decisions, decisions.

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE

post #6 of 11 Old Nov 19th, 2014, 8:15 pm

I have used the Condor wheel chock for a few years. Bought one on the spot after seeing a very effective demo at an IMS. Mounted the bracket to my m/c lift in the garage, and mounted a second bracket (extra cost - maybe $20?) to a utility trailer. It's easy to move the chock from one bracket to another, plus the chock will stand freely on a solid surface. I usually have no problem pulling it out of the chock while seated on the bike, but if I do I get my wife to push it from the front.

The Condor is adjustable for a variety of wheel sizes.
Jimbo3 and that_guy11 like this.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #7 of 11 Old Nov 20th, 2014, 10:22 am

I have a HF work stand wheel chock. $60.
Motorcycle Stand/Wheel Chock

I cannot back the bike out by hand either. I have to use reverse. The trick is this less expensive stand does not have good grip to the garage floor and the first time I used it with the LT it just dragged along until I got to the end of the garage and it finally let go.
Since then, I've added some heavy duty rubber grippers to the bottom of it so it stays put when I back the bike out. But I usually just use the centerstand for most of my work as well.

Dave
-2000 K1200LT
-------------------------------
Life's too short to ride ugly motorcycles
post #8 of 11 Old Dec 12th, 2014, 10:46 pm

That's good to know...I have a trailer with a Harbor Fright chock I use with my HD Ultra, and knowing it will work with my (new to me) 2005LT is reassuring

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

post #9 of 11 Old Dec 14th, 2014, 8:41 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukey33 View Post
I have a HF work stand wheel chock. $60.
Motorcycle Stand/Wheel Chock

I cannot back the bike out by hand either. I have to use reverse. The trick is this less expensive stand does not have good grip to the garage floor and the first time I used it with the LT it just dragged along until I got to the end of the garage and it finally let go.
Since then, I've added some heavy duty rubber grippers to the bottom of it so it stays put when I back the bike out. But I usually just use the centerstand for most of my work as well.
been using this one for a while now......I put 2 anchors in the garage floor to hold the chock in place, also found out the hard way that the bike won't necessarily stay in the chock, so I wrap a tie-down strap around the front wheel to the 2 eye bolts.
as a side....you can't see the chock when you are sitting on the bike so I hung a tennis ball on a string from the ceiling to help me line-up on the chock.

__________________________________________________ _________
John aka Frank Nitti

2003 K1200LT-E
1993 HD Fatboy...Gone, But not Forgotten
2000 Honda Gold Wing/Motor Trike Conv.
MOA #186960

Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me; I want people to know 'why' I look this way.
I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.
Will Rogers
post #10 of 11 Old Dec 14th, 2014, 3:59 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Well, here's my final solution to the wheel chock issue - I traded the cheap chock in at Cycle Gear for a Condor; installed one wood block in front of and two behind the Condor's front rail to keep it from sliding forward and aft; hung a tennis ball from the rafter to hit the windshield just before the stop point; and used non-skid strips on each side of the bike and placed wood blocks on them so I can get leverage when backing it out of the chock. I also used the fore-most recommended slot for the cradle adjustment and can now get the bike in and out fairly easily. Thanks again for all the suggestions!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20141214_124755_206.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	70513  

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE

post #11 of 11 Old Dec 14th, 2014, 9:57 pm

The condor was a good choice. I use mine on my lift table and on a trailer.

Jim G - Rochester, MN
BMW MOA #123976
2000 K1200LTC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in