Won't go into 5th gear. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Nov 16th, 2014, 10:56 pm Thread Starter

Angry Won't go into 5th gear.

OK. I was burned.

I just bought a 1999 K1200LT. 53,000 miles. According to the seller it only needed a rear tire. Before I test drove it I sat on it in his driveway and with the engine running clicked through the gears. The indicator only goes to 4th. I asked if it wasn't a 5 speed and he said "no, it is only a 4 speed". I test drove in in a 50 MPH speed zone and seemed OK. Got home and read the specs and looks like a 1999 should be a 5 speed. Any comments other than "SUCKER"?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Nov 16th, 2014, 11:50 pm

Re: Won't go into 5th gear.

Is your shifter loose or have a lot of play by any chance?

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 Old Nov 17th, 2014, 12:32 am

If you don't mind my asking, how much did you pay for the bike?

post #4 of 17 Old Nov 17th, 2014, 8:59 am

Although the digi display does not indicate 5th, can you select a 5th gear? Loose / broken wire to gear indicator? Maladjusted selector linkage? Something catching somewhere?

Bob
post #5 of 17 Old Nov 17th, 2014, 10:08 am

I stand to be corrected but I don't think they made a K1200LT with a 4 speed transmission. Good Luck with your problem hopefully it is only the indicator messing up.
post #6 of 17 Old Nov 17th, 2014, 11:24 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg View Post
Is your shifter loose or have a lot of play by any chance?
Doesn't seem to. Feels tight as it should. I dropped the bike off at my local motorcycle repair shop to have a new rear tire installed. After I read the specs saying it should have 5 forward gears, he said he would check it. We'll see. I've been looking on Ebay and transmissions are not expensive if it comes to that.
post #7 of 17 Old Nov 17th, 2014, 11:26 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisBikeNut1 View Post
Although the digi display does not indicate 5th, can you select a 5th gear? Loose / broken wire to gear indicator? Maladjusted selector linkage? Something catching somewhere?

Bob
Although I haven't had much time with the bike yet, it seems to shift as normal. Just won't go to 5th. I'll know more tomorrow as my repair shop is closed Sundays and Mondays.
post #8 of 17 Old Nov 17th, 2014, 11:57 am

I don't think that you got burned.

Ok, the seller deserves it right in the nuts for giving you that line of 4 speed BS.
That said.... I'm going out on a positive limb here.

Historically, I haven't seen many LT Xmsn problems. However, the Shift linkage has a lot of monkey motion, and it gets sloppy with use. If the linkage hasn't been serviced in 50 K miles, it needs to be. ....SO....
Make the shift linkage as "like new" as possible, then change the transmission oil to fully synthetic 75W-90.

Also she upshifts better if you preload the shifter a little before pulling the clutch.

Rand & Susan Hawksworth
2000 K1200LT
post #9 of 17 Old Nov 17th, 2014, 12:02 pm

P.S.
53,000 miles is "just broken in"... So don't let your Shop sell you a transmission job until you try what I suggested.

And Welcome to the LT Community Tom.

Rand & Susan Hawksworth
2000 K1200LT

Last edited by rhawk; Nov 17th, 2014 at 12:19 pm.
post #10 of 17 Old Nov 17th, 2014, 2:28 pm

I'm with rhawk, my first thought was shift linkage, I would at least certainly start there. If you look in the Files section accessed via the Technical dropdown at the top of the page there is a document called Shift Linkage Tidbits that goes through cleaning that part up. Here is a link. I perform a clean and lube of my shift linkage roughly every 6k miles and every time I do it I can tell a difference even with that short of an interval.

It also wouldn't hurt to put in new oil as noted above, you may even want to try running some ATF for high mileage cars in there for a few miles of light driving to clean things up - ATF is about 95% detergents and 5% lubrication (and 70% of all statistics are made up) and if there is guk and muk keeping things from working right it might clear it up. I can say with some confidence that the ATF won't hurt your transmission, when I bought my LT the PO had used ATF in the transmission and final drive and it wasn't in very pretty shape either. I have since put on ~30k and no problems.

-Steve

2000 BMW K1200LT
2000 BMW R1200C
post #11 of 17 Old Nov 17th, 2014, 2:47 pm

I have no idea if it's the linkage (because I haven't even purchased an LT - yet!). However, there's a great video on youtube that shows how to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4o-ysRHinLU

Lot's of good videos on youtube.
post #12 of 17 Old Nov 17th, 2014, 7:29 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Shift linkage is my first response. A caveat though as the fifth gear has its own shift fork and if the the little pin on it is broken (goes into the shift drum, but I have never seen that before) then you will never get to 5 th. Item #4 in the picture. #2 is 1 st & 2 nd, #3 is 3 rd and 4 th.

Note to self do not use # to represent a Number any more as the web site interprets it as a hash tag. Damn social media!

But seriously when you have the bike back put it on the center stand and rock the rear wheel. Push down shift lever to confirm first, then continue rocking the wheel as you lift up an hear a gear change, there should be four in the up direction (you started in first).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Forks.PNG
Views:	144
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	69177  

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jzeiler; Nov 17th, 2014 at 7:35 pm.
post #13 of 17 Old Nov 18th, 2014, 11:33 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawk View Post
I don't think that you got burned.

Ok, the seller deserves it right in the nuts for giving you that line of 4 speed BS.
That said.... I'm going out on a positive limb here.

Historically, I haven't seen many LT Xmsn problems. However, the Shift linkage has a lot of monkey motion, and it gets sloppy with use. If the linkage hasn't been serviced in 50 K miles, it needs to be. ....SO....
Make the shift linkage as "like new" as possible, then change the transmission oil to fully synthetic 75W-90.

Also she upshifts better if you preload the shifter a little before pulling the clutch.
Thank you all for the great input. As I said, I left the bike with my Polaris-Kawasaki-Victory Dealer to put on a new rear tire and service/check everything. I got a call from them today that the bike was ready and it shifted fine. I tried to find out from my owner friend by text but I got no comment. Just that it was OK. I will pick it up tomorrow. Maybe changing all the fluids fixed the problem. I will post more later. Thank you for the welcome.

Tom
post #14 of 17 Old Nov 19th, 2014, 12:02 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
Shift linkage is my first response. A caveat though as the fifth gear has its own shift fork and if the the little pin on it is broken (goes into the shift drum, but I have never seen that before) then you will never get to 5 th. Item #4 in the picture. #2 is 1 st & 2 nd, #3 is 3 rd and 4 th.

Note to self do not use # to represent a Number any more as the web site interprets it as a hash tag. Damn social media!

But seriously when you have the bike back put it on the center stand and rock the rear wheel. Push down shift lever to confirm first, then continue rocking the wheel as you lift up an hear a gear change, there should be four in the up direction (you started in first).
My mechanic said it is showing as going into 5th now. I saw the You Tube video of the transmission removal. Didn't look too bad. At least not compared to my 1969 Honda 750 Four that broke a chain, broke through the cases and bent all the transmission shafts. I had to pull the engine to get the bottom half of the case off then replace all the shafts (100.00 for all back in 1969)

I will post after I ride it after picking it up tomorrow. Hopefully it's not raining.
post #15 of 17 Old Nov 19th, 2014, 4:25 am

You should still service your shift linkage.
It's good preventive Maint.
By the sound of it, you're a you're not afraid to wrench, so it shouldn't be a big deal.

(good luck with the rain thing)

Rand & Susan Hawksworth
2000 K1200LT
post #16 of 17 Old Nov 23rd, 2014, 2:03 pm Thread Starter

Everything OK now, it seems.

Got the bike back from the shop and had to wait 'till yesterday afternoon to ride because of bad weather.

The bike shifts great, and has some features that I like much more than what my 2005 Goldwing 1800 had. The electric windshield is the best feature because I can adjust it to stop the wind noise from my helmet, or drop it down for best fuel economy. I love the heated seat and grips. I didn't have those on my Goldwing (or the power windshield). It has a very comfortable riding position for my 6'4" 210lb frame. Even though is more top heavy, it seems very easy to maneuver at speed. The battery is easier to get at also.

I will service the shift linkage soon. It doesn't always like to go into 1st gear without some extra effort.

Last edited by skagittom; Nov 23rd, 2014 at 2:14 pm.
post #17 of 17 Old Nov 23rd, 2014, 2:17 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Everything OK now, it seems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skagittom View Post
I will service the shift linkage soon. It doesn't always like to go into 1st gear without some extra effort.
That isn't unusual, try preloading the shifter and letting the clutch out a little. It should drop right in gear, I do it frequently.

It is a "feature" not a problem.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in