Zumo 665LM installed - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Nov 16th, 2014, 2:48 pm Thread Starter

Zumo 665LM installed

Hi,

I had decided to use my Iphone for navigation since it worked okay on a 1700 mile trip I did in August, but I found a deal I couldn't pass up. I think I need to stay away from Ebay unless I am looking for something specific.

Anyway, I picked up this used Zumo for $499.00 (free shipping). Everything was there and it looked like new. The seller said he only used it a few times and it shows. Most of the cables were unused including the motorcycle wiring harness.

I have been using Ram mounts on my brake and clutch master cylinders for my cell phone holder and my cup holder (never really thought I'd carry coffee on a motorcycle), but with the GPS, I wanted it in my direct line of sight so I bought a BMR shelf (only $85).

Mounting was easy. I had to remove the windshield and drill a few holes in the BMR shelf to attach my 1" Ram mount. I also mounted the XM antenna on the shelf but it may be too close to the GPS unit, not sure yet.

Playing around with the unit in the garage, I like it. No problem connecting to my Iphone and my Bluetooth in my helmet. Seems to work like it should. I like the idea of being able to plan my route on my laptop and then send it to the GPS unit. Planning a route on an Iphone was not easy!

Not sure if I will use the XM radio or not. I may give it a try! Anyway, here is a dark garage photo of the unit installed. I still need to finish by putting the map light back in, but I am looking for ways to run the GPS wiring so I do not have to drill or cut into the fairing. I think I have a solution by running the GPS and Antenna wires into the front fairing from the top so nothing runs into the map light mounting area (that's how I have it now so the map light will not fit back into mounting location).

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0109.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	69161  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Nov 16th, 2014, 4:15 pm

Re: Zumo 665LM installed

I got a Zumo 550 on Ebay last year. It came with the car cradle and 2 bike cradles, and the XM30 satellite radio antenna. I got it for $450.00.Well worth the price. I do get the satellite radio during riding season and suspend it in the off season. I went with the Ram mount system in which I have both the J&M CB and the Zumo mounted on the offset mount clutch cover. BTW. Did you tap power from your maplight? That's what I did. Got some double blade connectors from radio shack.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.

Last edited by james216; Nov 16th, 2014 at 4:27 pm.
post #3 of 4 Old Nov 16th, 2014, 8:46 pm

Garage

Nice job.

On my 2000 LT I mounted a Zumo 550 GPS onto a BMR shelf using the Touratech mount. The mount is stabilized against vibration using rubber type spacer/washers. The Zumo can be locked into the cradle when the LT is parked. I added a sun shield since I ride in Florida, (the sun would make the screen almost impossible to see). The power cable from the mount is run down through the BMR shelf through a rubber grommet, then through a small hole (with grommet) I drilled into the dash next to the courtesy light and continues back to the fuzeblock power connector located near the battery. I had the tupperware off at the time so it was relatively easy to thread the wire through.
I placed heat resistance cable cover over the wire for added insurance. The system works well for me. See attached photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Zumo 550 with Touratech Mount.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	373.6 KB
ID:	69169  

Currently owned,
1966 R50
2000 K LT

post #4 of 4 Old Nov 16th, 2014, 9:10 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.

Wayne,

I like your set up and in a few months when I do a complete turn up, I plan to install a similar set up. I would like to have the ability to lock the gps to the bike.

Chris

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in