What do you think this means? - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Munmi

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Nov 14th, 2014, 8:28 am Thread Starter

What do you think this means?

As I mentioned in my very first post on this forum, I'm considering an LT. Everyone's input has helped decide that, "yes, that's what I'm going to get."

I'm looking at a few bikes, including a couple from forum members.

One of the bikes has this in the ad, "Rear view mirrors peg broke".

Does anyone have any idea what this means and how difficult/expensive it is to fix?

TIA,
Larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Nov 14th, 2014, 12:23 pm

Smile Re: What do you think this means?

Hi Larry, if you are considering going to a LT be advised it will ruin you from ever wanting to ride anything else. Truly the best touring bike you will ever get on. Only buy 2005 and up as they made several changes including the electric/hydraulic centerstand. If you are interested in talking I have a 2005 & a 2006 for sale. Just be sure you are not a real short guy as you wouldn't like it much.
post #3 of 10 Old Nov 14th, 2014, 12:39 pm

Re: What do you think this means?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leboyd View Post
"Rear view mirrors peg broke".

Does anyone have any idea what this means and how difficult/expensive it is to fix?
The mirrors are held on by a set of posts that snap into spring clips that are embedded in the body of the mirror assembly. It often happens that the forward located spring clip area breaks up and can no longer capture the post. Depending on the amount of breakage, it usually is not a real difficult repair.

Search 'mirror repair' on this forum and several examples can be found.
Patric likes this.

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 Old Nov 15th, 2014, 3:43 pm

There are other view points about only considering USA 2005 and up LTs.
Best from t'son
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #5 of 10 Old Nov 15th, 2014, 4:16 pm

No.Not a deal breaker.The spring clip broke on my mirror. I drove a self tap screw through the vent gills on the mirror. Unless you look in them. You can't see the screw. Also make sure you put tethers on both mirrors. So if they do fall off, they don't smash on the pavement. A 1999-2002 LT is fine. Plus the ABS is less complicated than my 2004 unit. Which is integrated and is servo assisted..

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.

Last edited by james216; Nov 15th, 2014 at 4:23 pm.
post #6 of 10 Old Nov 16th, 2014, 3:16 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy View Post
...Only buy 2005 and up as they made several changes including the electric/hydraulic centerstand. If you are interested in talking I have a 2005 & a 2006 for sale.....
Talk about purpose-oriented / biased opinion As someone already stated early LT's have more simple ABS - being even repairable if needed. And there we talk about possible, real issue in worst case.

Born to be wild so why not

post #7 of 10 Old Nov 16th, 2014, 6:42 am

Smile Re: What do you think this means?

My suggestion to buy a 05 & up is strictly my opinion based on information and experience. Can you get by with an older Lt? Certainly. As for me I am spoiled with the extra horsepower, lower center of gravity, and the electric hydraulic center stand. The centerstand is by far the safest and neatest refinement. In the end a person should simply test ride a pre 05 and compare it to an older one. Unless one is hampered by budget constraints the choice will be obvious. However, an earlier model Lt is better than no LT. There is only one problem with the LT's. fter you ride one it ruins you for any other bike. At least out did for me.
post #8 of 10 Old Nov 16th, 2014, 7:05 am

As mentioned, there are advantages to the older bikes as well as the newer bikes. If you look at a 1999-2001 and the brake calipers say BREMBO it has the older style ABSII brakes. 2001's built 01/01/01 and later have the linked system like the newer bikes. The calipers have BMW cast into them. No advantage in having a late 2001-2004 from a brake standpoint.

This all sounds like a good idea until the perfect 2003 shows up and you can't pass it up!

Just get one. You will love it!

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #9 of 10 Old Nov 16th, 2014, 12:43 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy View Post
My suggestion to buy a 05 & up is strictly my opinion based on information and experience. Can you get by with an older Lt? Certainly. As for me I am spoiled with the extra horsepower, lower center of gravity, and the electric hydraulic center stand. The centerstand is by far the safest and neatest refinement. In the end a person should simply test ride a pre 05 and compare it to an older one. Unless one is hampered by budget constraints the choice will be obvious. However, an earlier model Lt is better than no LT. There is only one problem with the LT's. fter you ride one it ruins you for any other bike. At least out did for me.
As I have said before, test ride both and early and a late. I did and I fell in love with my 2000. For me the servo brakes are over powered and I like the feel of the 99-01. I prefer the early dash, the late one seems too busy and hard to read at a glance. I also like the black coloring as apposed to the silver around the dash.
As for riding it, the seat position is slightly different. I do not want the power center stand, extra stuff to break. I am 45, 6 ft tall and 195lbs. I am in good shape and don't need the assist.
One more thing, I have a base model 2000, no chrome, no bike computer, no 6 disk player and I love it that way, everything I want, nothing I don't need.
With all this said, ALL LT's are great bikes, ALL are going to be great to ride, ALL are going to make you think there is no other bike on earth that can compare.
You need to ride several, different years, find out what you want, need and don't want. I spent almost 6 months from deciding to get a new bike till I dropped money on my LT. I rode about 15 bikes and could not find anything I liked better than the LT. My first LT ride was an 03.
So, ride many, and have fun. See you on the road soon
post #10 of 10 Old Nov 17th, 2014, 10:29 am

I ride an 02 model and love it. If the electric center stand is a big deal you can easily add that to any model. Shop around for a used electric center stand and it pretty much is a bolt on application. Good luck in your decision.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in