I Snuck Out For A Ride Today - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 6Likes
  • 6 Post By tconnell

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Nov 13th, 2014, 11:20 pm Thread Starter

I Snuck Out For A Ride Today

With the temp here in south GA today at 70. I snuck in a ride on the LT. That's by no means a revelation to anybody but it was a large victory to me. Here's why.

To back track a bit in this story... on Sept 26th at 1:38 in the morning I was coming home from a ride on my Dual Sport KLR-685. I had been doing a dirt ride called the Trans Eastern Trail South. I started on the 21st and rode from Valdosta over into Alabama and then up through Alabama mostly on dirt roads and trails and eased back into Georgia near Cedartown and worked my way up into the Ga mountains on some really nice clay and gravel roads winding around the base of the Smokies. I had a great time and saw some wonderful sights. I camped out on top of Cheaha Mt in Alabama. It's the highest point in that state and I laid out on a picnic table next to the tent on a clear night at that high altitude and no lights around and with the naked eye could see the Milky Way like I've never seen it.

The only time I had much of a problem in the mountains was a little way out of Clayton, GA. They have something up there on the county paved roads that that they call 'Chat'. Wiki says it's a "Limestone or Dolomite Waste product". It's a little tiny rocky looking material they put on some of the roads. I found mine on the inside of a rather tight blind right hand curve and my front knobby didn't like it a bit. I probably wasn't doing 35, but it wasted me and I went down pretty hard on the pavement. I got up and the right ankle hurt a bit but a guy with the highway dept came by and stopped to check on me and he was the one that told me about 'Chat'. He said, "Did you git into that Chat"? Yeah I did. Now I know it's really a Waste material. Well I went on into Clayton and stopped at a CVS and got more pain pills and an Ace Bandage and popped two Tylenol and sat on one of their benches and took off the boot and sock and wrapped up the ankle and put it back in the boot. Nothing was hurt on me or the bike but the ankle.

It's about 5 pm by now and the ankle is starting to hurt pretty good so I'm thinking, "Well at 76 years of age, I might have already had as much fun as I'm going to have on this trip so maybe I might best go home to Mama". I did that right away. Gassed up the KLR, got me a pack of Nabs and a big Mountain Dew to put in the tank bag and told Margaret (Zumo 650) to go Home. A few seconds later she told me to hit 441 to I-85 to I-75 and then I'd be home after 405 miles. No problem at all. I went through Atlanta at about 10pm with almost no traffic... things were going good.

I stopped and refueled near Perry, GA and ate a bite and then back on I-75 south. I was running about 70 most of the way and having a good time knowing there was a hot shower waiting at home and I was getting close to that. Then the second and much larger event happened, I looked into the mirror and saw the double Fed-Ex truck I'd passed way back was still way back and I changed to the outside lane. I glanced at Margaret and she said I was 18 miles from my shop door, it was 1:38 am and I was doing 72 miles and hour then 'Pow'... what the... Wham, and I hit the pavement. Front tire had blown out. God was that a blow... I didn't pass out as I saw the two flashes of the newly installed CREE Trail Lights on the KLR as they flashed right into my eyes two times as I spun around on my right side. Then somehow I started rolling. It must have been 10 plus times as I rolled across 3 lanes of I-75 into the center median where I came to rest. I lay there very stunned and then realized I was in the grass so I wasn't going to be hit by the traffic. Thank you Lord. The Fed-Ex truck went by but in just a minute or so I saw light pulling in behind me and a guy got out yelling, "I've called 911" and then there were 3-4 people there and flashlights were shining in my eyes. I thanked them all for stopping. Someone said they saw my bike with the lights on in the grass on the other side of the interstate. Like a good biker I asked someone to turn off the bike. Shortly I was being put into an ambulance and I do remember the pain when they put me over on my side to put the board under me and also remember a remark by one of the EMT's, "We don't get many of these type of calls". I mumbled why? He said, "Most motorcycle riders out here are already dead when we get to them". That was reassuring wasn't it.

The damage to the KLR was a broken right mirror. Broken right turn signal and the upper right cowling piece where the turn signal goes was broken. About $185 bucks. The full Wolfman saddlebags and the SW Motech crash bars had saved the bike. I, on the other hand, didn't fair that well as I had a badly broken right ankle and a broken left index finger along with 3 ribs in front and one in back. Back of both hands had the gloves almost eaten off. Right leg bruised from crotch to below the knee and both knees cut really bad. Doctor put 3 pins through finger, and in the ankle a plate with seven screws. I got the finger piece off two weeks ago and the cast on the ankle cut off yesterday, Nov 12th and Lord that felt good to get a full shower and not have that 3 pounds of fiberglass on my foot. As an after thought, the doctor told me when looking at the ankle XRays said, "You break this ankle before"? I had not, so I told him about the get off in the Chat. He said I probably fractured the ankle then and it really got broke in the crash. Something about a dark line around the breaks.

So today, after the wife left to do volunteer work at the Garden Club, I decided I had done about all the laying around the house I could stomach. I knew the Dish Network schedule by heart, and my butt was so tired of laying around slowly healing. So I dressed out, wrapped the ankle up with an Ace bandage and managed to get it in the boot and went out into the shop to help the healing along. I pulled out the 2007 LT and off we went... a ride that almost equaled the day that I brought her home from Baton Rouge. It was bright, the temp was perfect and I tested the ankle several times in the neighborhood to be sure that I could hold her up at a stop light.

As the wife and I were checking out at the doctors office yesterday, the thought hit me that I didn't ask when I could drive again. The nurse went to ask the doctor and came back to say, "You can drive in 3 weeks". Wow... not the answer I wanted to hear. This morning I thought, He said I couldn't Drive... nothing about I couldn't Ride. So I rode and it felt wonderful.

It's good to be among the living and have a new perspective on life. PTL.

Tommy
77 years old and gittin' younger
__________________________________________________ __
'07 K1200LT Black w/color matched Hannigan Europa II Trailer
'09 KLR650 heavily modified for the TAT

IBA #48786
MOA #164466

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Nov 13th, 2014, 11:24 pm
cws

Garage
Re: I Snuck Out For A Ride Today

Nice one Tommy! Hope you heal well.

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #3 of 10 Old Nov 14th, 2014, 6:39 am

Great story and write up! Glad you are OK. Any idea on the cause of the blowout?

Robert

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

post #4 of 10 Old Nov 14th, 2014, 8:35 am

Being a young guy at 67, you are my hero. Things like this is what keeps us going. Glad you healed up and hope your wife does not give you another fracture of some sort. LOL
post #5 of 10 Old Nov 14th, 2014, 9:45 am

When I "grow up" I wanna be like you,
too damn stubborn to stay down for long,
living it with a "zest" for life.
great story

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #6 of 10 Old Nov 14th, 2014, 11:07 am

Nice job! I hope everything works out well for your body and not have to many lingering effects. I know injuries seem to stay with us as we age. I like that carefully wording things to the Doc can allow us to do the things we NEED to do.
post #7 of 10 Old Nov 14th, 2014, 11:33 am

Garage

76, huh...
I gotta say it:
You are one lucky bastard!
Great attitude!
Thanks for the inspiring write-up.

Doug B.
2000 LT purchased July 2013
post #8 of 10 Old Nov 14th, 2014, 1:33 pm Thread Starter

Well I'm having a pretty good day with all these nice post saying what an inspiration I'm supposed to be. I belong to a nice club here in Valdosta, GA called the Ole' Spokes. Have any of you guys wondered why I did that ride by myself? Because everyone else thought I was 'Crazy as Hell' and no one would go! So that might slant your ideas a bit now.

CWS I sure would like to sit and have a cold one with you, but logistics prevent that. But many thanks. I'm peddling as hard as I can to heal up.

Robert thanks for the healing thoughts. My son and a buddy came yesterday and moved the KLR into the shop next to the LT and in the next day or so I'll get to looking at it closer. I have all the pieces to put it back right and will do that and also ride it again. I don't fault the KLR at all. Probably was my fault as the tires had some mile on them before the trip but looked to me to be OK. I know they were aired up right, but I could have picked up something in the mountains with all the rocks or on the interstates that did it. I just don't know at this point. More on that later.

NotaHog - Love that handle as I am also am 180 degrees from those folks.
Careful on the hero thing... I'm probably the guy that would lead you over a cliff by accident of course

SilverBuffalo thanks for the nice words on the story. When I write I just try to write it like I was sitting around with a bunch of buddies talking. Did you call my wife about the stubborn thing? She says the same thing and I just can't imaging why. I really the sweetest old man I know and would never go against the grain... very much! But I did develop a pretty high pain tolerance way back in my younger motocross and enduro days.

Dsherman - I think with the PT that I start next week the movement in the finger and the ankle will improve. The doctor says so anyway, and a call to 'my doctor', who is my best friend over in Jackson, MS last night confirmed that to me. He also told me to take a good pain pill before the physical therapy ad I'd probably need that at first. That is well taken.
NOTE - I had 4 bypasses almost 4 years ago to the day when I had the tire blow out. On my 6 week visit to the cardio doctor, I rode my Goldwing to his office. After I was told that I was doing better than anyone they had opened up and my BP was 120/70, I asked him when I could ride. His remark was, "I don't want you on a motorcycle until after the first of the year". That was in the last few days of October. Holy cow... not until January, I'd go stir crazy. He had been a Naval Doctor before private practice and was from Iceland and very stern, no joking around at all. I said. "Dr. Gjohnson, I've been a bad boy then". He wanted to know why and I told him I was on my bike that day. I got what is known as a scientific cussing and I stood at attention as I felt like I was back in flight school. So I left his office with my tail between my legs, but I rode it home and the did the same 2 weeks later. Crazy but a rider got to ride!

dvgb131- Thanks for the attitude and you are exactly and entirely correct on the Lucky Bastard. But even more importantly, I am a blessed one as God and His Angles were most definitely around me during that night. He must have something more I need to do and I'll wait that one out to see. Thanks for the inspiring thingy. What would really be inspiring is if I do a write up at 86 or so. My dad was 87 when he left us and still had a brilliant mind.

I'll be 77 in late Feb next year and my friends and family think I'm loosing my mind. I just grin at 'em!

Thanks to all and ride safe and check those tires from time to time!!

Tommy
77 years old and gittin' younger
__________________________________________________ __
'07 K1200LT Black w/color matched Hannigan Europa II Trailer
'09 KLR650 heavily modified for the TAT

IBA #48786
MOA #164466

post #9 of 10 Old Nov 14th, 2014, 1:34 pm

Good for you! Very motivating.

Chris W

Current
'14 K1600 GTL

Previous
'09 HD Fat Bob
'07 K1200 LT (gf misses it)

'01 Triumph Sprint ST
'79 Suzuki GS1100E
post #10 of 10 Old Nov 14th, 2014, 5:56 pm

Tommy as I am a young 62, you are my inspiration to hopefully, like you, keep riding at least until I'm your age or longer. Good luck and keep that damn bike up on two wheels will ya!!!!!.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in