BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Why would anyone buy an LT over a GOLDWING?!

17K views 126 replies 77 participants last post by  flyby 
#1 ·
Thirty years of tradition can't be wrong, can it? It's cheaper than the LT. And has gawbs of torque. The GoldWing is arguably more reliable, with a HUGE dealer network. A bazillion aftermarket companies providing accessories which gives the owner way more options than the LT, while costing far less for those accessories. Pulls a trailer far easier whilst 2-UP touring. A better intercom. MP3 integration is a snap. The list goes on, and on, and on...

So again I ask the question, "Why would anyone buy an LT over a GOLDWING?!".

Oh, I know the answer.

Do you?

See less See more
#3 ·
Had one for 3 months before my L.T. Couldn't get comfortable no matter how much money I spent on it. Wind blows it all over the road, intercom & CB are useless at highway speeds because of wind noise. The first sign of a drizzle & your wet. Low end power it does have & that's what sold it after a test ride, but after I got over that I kept finding more reasons I didn't like it.

#4 ·
Okay, I'm not loaded with money here, so this is my opinion. I'm looking at USED bikes, the LT and teh Wing, as well as the Yam Royal str Venture. The venture is cruiser style, which means it has to be cleaned and shined a lot. And has cruiser riding style, a little slower. I'm coming from a Vstrom, so I am into a sporting ride.

The LT has much lower resale, and many more available on the market, be it ebay, dealers, etc. I can afford and find an LT much easier than a wing. The wing has better dealer coverage. But IMO, most of the used wings have too much crap added to them that I don;t want. I'm not into that chrome and light show thing so that's unimportant. I'd even pass on the radio/CD if I could and opt for a nice gPS instead.

SO I'll probably end up on an LT. It all comes down to personal; preference and this is an LT forum,so you;ll probably get lots of reasons to own an LT over a wing.

Rando

#8 ·
#11 ·
Not the reason I bought one but maybe others will :D

A couple of weeks ago I was at the gas station filling up and a 20 year old blonde comes walking out of the store back to her car. She looks at the bike and then looks at me and says " That's a Bitch'n Ride!" and then gets in her car.

I'm old but I think that was a compliment :rolleyes:

Kevin

#13 ·
messenger13 said:
Thirty years of tradition can't be wrong, can it?
I agree. That would've been my choice if I could afford one...
messenger13 said:
It's cheaper than the LT
Really ? Here in France it's the opposite.
GW retails for (take a seat) $33k while LT retails for ONLY $27k...

#15 ·
LT over GW?

Any given day I see upto a dozen Wingers rolling down the main drag.

So far as I know - I'm the only LT pilot in the county.

No, I'm not a conformist.

Plus - after parking my ass on one of each - the LT and I bonded. There's soul there - something to relate with. The GW was like a rolling sofa - one in every living room, nothing special.

Hey, that's all worth about 2cents, eh?

#16 ·
The main reason is a four letter word, Gail.

Gail liked the price better (cheaper than the GW at the time). Gail liked the looks better. Gail liked the ride better. Gail's feet actually reached the pegs......

Two, hour long test rides and she tells me she doesn't like the GW; says it's not comfortable. What???? Finally tells me her feet don't reach the pegs. Seems she's not nearly as wide as the butts the seat was designed for, and her legs were swingin' in the breeze. Honda sales guy showes me the $270 adjustable floorboard solution, but we say no, not today, and go look at the LT. Fifteen minutes into the LT test ride and I knew we had found the right bike.

Funny part is, I put a Corbin on the LT and had to buy peg risers anyway.

#17 ·
If you ever spend time around a GW group you will find out that they think the GW is the only bike made & if you don't ride one you are stupid. I don't like being around that kind of group, I like all motorcycles & don't ride one to fit into a group. When I had my Venture they where not that way & so for I don't feel the BMW group is that way. The GW group is more one sided than any Harley group I have been around.

#18 ·
messenger13 said:
......So again I ask the question, "Why would anyone buy an LT over a GOLDWING?!"......
So you don't have to go to those monthly GWRRA meetings where they try to sell you silk jackets, lecture you about safety (while the majority that even ride wear open face helmets), and try to strongarm you into donating blood! :eek: :D

I went to the bathroom after one meeting, wherein I heard a conversation between two of the "owners" that they didn't go on any of the weekly dinner rides because they rode "too far" (typically 70-100 miles round trip), that they really didn't like to ride for more than twenty minutes at a time! :eek:

I thought I'd stumbled into a cruiser club! Check that, even cruiser riders will often ride farther than THAT for a beer! :D

We don't attend those meetings anymore. At the last one we attended, a lady that appeared to be about ninety years old collapsed, and EMS was called!

Stupid Goldwing still stops at every Dairy Queen though, if I don't watch it like a hawk! :D :D :D

#19 ·
messenger13 said:
Thirty years of tradition can't be wrong, can it? It's cheaper than the LT. And has gawbs of torque. The GoldWing is arguably more reliable, with a HUGE dealer network. A bazillion aftermarket companies providing accessories which gives the owner way more options than the LT, while costing far less for those accessories. Pulls a trailer far easier whilst 2-UP touring. A better intercom. MP3 integration is a snap. The list goes on, and on, and on...

So again I ask the question, "Why would anyone buy an LT over a GOLDWING?!".

Oh, I know the answer.

Do you?

nice cast!

<g>

#25 ·
first ride was a HDEGC miss E hated it refused to get back on it. said I had to find something else if she was gonna ride. While sitting on the sidewalk in front of the HD shop crying with my head in my hands a friend rode up on his new HDEGS and asked "whats wrong?" told him the story his reply was come ride my BMW. I said what? he said "come ride it she will love it all the girls do best ride anywhere!"

We did and the rest is history.

#26 ·
1) Twisties
2) Cindy loves the LT, it is so comfy, and pretty
3) Style
4) Fit and Finish, my LT doesn't rattle.
5) Did I mentions that Cindy loves it and will ride with me, she hated the Goldwing. Too much wind and rain.
6) I would like more HP and Torque but what would I do with it, if I was riding a Goldwing.
7) Finally, Cindy said that a Goldwing looks like a old folks motorcycle, and that we are not old enough yet.

--Bo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.