Things to do while the bike is apart - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By GaryEm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Nov 12th, 2014, 9:31 pm Thread Starter

Things to do while the bike is apart

I have a 2005 LT with 32,000 miles on it. I have owned it for about a year and now its this bikes turn to bring into the basement, take it apart, and go right through it. It keeps me connected during the Winter months. I'll be doing fuel lines, brake lines, all fluids, and basically a good cleaning. What suggestions would you have for change while the bike is apart? Maybe for some upgrades. And what brand names to use. Thanks for your suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Nov 12th, 2014, 10:41 pm

Garage
Re: Things to do while the bike is apart

I am putting on HyperPro springs, Spiegler brake lines (bought at sportbiketrackgear.com), DDM Tuning HID low beam, SuperBrightLEDs red LEDs in the instrument panel.

1973 Yamaha 250 Enduro (crash and burn)
1982 Yamaha Virago 920 (sold)
Honda CB750 Custom (sold...good riddins!)
2003 K1200LT - Black (for sale)
2005 K1200LT - Ocean Blue Metallic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old Nov 13th, 2014, 7:35 am

Grease all four ball joints on the shifter linkage and you notice a big differs in shifting
Patric likes this.

Gary
2003 K1200LT

post #4 of 5 Old Nov 13th, 2014, 8:13 am

I would do the 24K and annual service items unless your sure it was done properly. Valves , fuel, air & oil filters, all fluids including brake system flush canisterectomy. Of course you can also farkelize to your hearts content. Then you will know that you are bike is fresh and ready to ride.
post #5 of 5 Old Nov 13th, 2014, 11:19 pm
cws

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdrrock View Post
What suggestions would you have for change while the bike is apart? Maybe for some upgrades. And what brand names to use. Thanks for your suggestions.
If you are likely to add any electronic items, I'd suggest looking into the Fuzeblock
I didn't do this on my LT and have a whole bunch of wires attached back into the backside of the powerlet port under the left rear speaker, as its switched power.
When I got the GT I bought the FZ1 Fuzeblock and wiring everything has gotten so much neater and easier to do.

Another upgrade is the Hyperpro RS damper, way better than stock if you think yours is on the way out (although you can refill them, check for threads)

Have you upgraded to a HID low beam? You'll be amazed at the difference.
Then add additional front lighting... try motolights or something similar.

Shocks, probably about time to upgrade yours, either just the springs as mentioned, or if you've got $$ then go full treatment with Wilbers, Olins or there's a couple of others.

Grip puppies and throttle-rockers (cheap upgrades for comfort)
After-market seat (expensive upgrade for comfort)
Bakup backrest - great for long trips.. look for one 2nd hand.
Mick-O-Pegs footrest
Fix-it-before-you-break-it trunk latch kit (much cheaper than the full replacement latch which is awesome, but $$)

so many more farkles.... there's a couple of threads where people have written extensive lists.... search for "farkles" under K1200LT

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in