• 1 Post By cws
  • 1 Post By rattler50
  • 1 Post By deputy5211

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Nov 12th, 2014, 8:39 pm Thread Starter
cws

Garage
Thumbs up Kudo's to EBC

Earlier this year bought a whole bunch of parts from the US to do a major service, clutch, front discs etc. and then had them reboxed and shipped to me by a mate in Calif.
Included were a set of EBC front brake rotors/discs bought from JC Motors in CA. Now I'm assuming they just grabbed what appeared to be identically marked disc packets from their inventory shelf and shipped them off.
When I got them in Oz, they sat on a shelf for a couple of months waiting till I stripped the bike down.... well I got a surprise when I eventually pulled them both from the packets... different hole patterns, but marked as same disc model, MD616.
Thought it would be a pointless exercise going back to JC Motors as it would likely involve buying another matching disc and shipping it out at high cost, so I installed them with new pads and tested it out... Brake shudder under hard braking... but still pulled up OK. No time to do anything before our upcoming trip so got on with it.

Back from the trip, I've emailed EBC brakes (UK) through their contact page to query the different patterns and brake shudder issue.
Their Motorcycle Data & Technical Manager, Jon Wright, has come back to me and suggested they should have been the same hole pattern and asked for pictures of rotors and shipping packets, which I've done. From the pics he's identified one of the discs as from an early stainless steel batch of their "new" style hole pattern (scraper slot system) which can be used on either side of the bike, where as the other one was definitely a right-handed side disc. He's also suggested that since that early batch they've started heat-treating the discs to avoid rotor scuffing (evident on my disc after only 2500km).

The best part.. they are going to ship me 2 new discs, and new pads, to replace both at no cost to me.
That's gotta save me at least around $400-$500 all up with shipping costs to get rid of this brake shudder.

So, a big (pre-emptive) thanks to EBC UK for coming to the party to sort this out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.  EBC front right 616 disk - installed_sml.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	68969   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.  EBC front left 616 disk - installed_sml.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	68977   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.  EBC front right 616 disk - installed_sml.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	69009   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.  EBC front left 616 disk - installed_sml.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	69017   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.  EBC front disks_ original sleeves_sml.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	69025  

GJPinAU likes this.

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Nov 12th, 2014, 8:44 pm

Re: Kudo's to EBC

They sent me the wrong rotor, too but they made it good...........
cws likes this.

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #3 of 8 Old Nov 12th, 2014, 8:46 pm Thread Starter
cws

Garage

Was that JC Motors, or EBC?
If I was in the US I would've just gone back to JC Motors, but the rotors are so damn heavy international shipping costs a shitload.

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #4 of 8 Old Nov 12th, 2014, 10:51 pm

Garage

Great hearing about companies that really stand behind their product and make it right. When it comes time to replace my rotors and pads, EBC will be my vendor of choice.

1973 Yamaha 250 Enduro (crash and burn)
1982 Yamaha Virago 920 (sold)
Honda CB750 Custom (sold...good riddins!)
2003 K1200LT - Black (for sale)
2005 K1200LT - Ocean Blue Metallic

post #5 of 8 Old Nov 19th, 2014, 7:08 pm Thread Starter
cws

Garage

Well, EBC UK were good to their word.
Package arrived this morning with 2 x new discs and 2 sets of FA294HH pads
Guess I got some (more) work to do this weekend.

BTW, if you are looking at buying new EBC fronts you want the ones with the YELLOW MD616 sticker (the new heat-treated type), not a white sticker.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3056.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	962.2 KB
ID:	69217   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3057.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	850.6 KB
ID:	69225  

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #6 of 8 Old Dec 7th, 2014, 6:30 pm Thread Starter
cws

Garage

Installed the new front rotors and pads yesterday.... quick ride with about a dozen "panic stops" to bed them in .... no sign of a shudder, pulled up as she should have done all along.
Problem solved... thx to Jon Wright from EBC UK!

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #7 of 8 Old Dec 7th, 2014, 6:34 pm

It is sad that when a company stands behind their product and does the right thing, that it strikes us all as a remarkable feat.

Still, kudos to EBC (UK) for stepping up and raising the bar for the others. Goodonya, Chris, for getting it all sorted out.
cws likes this.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #8 of 8 Old Dec 7th, 2014, 6:45 pm Thread Starter
cws

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211 View Post
It is sad that when a company stands behind their product and does the right thing, that it strikes us all as a remarkable feat.
I think it's only remarkable due to distance, Tony. If I were in your neck of the woods (or at least Calif ) I would have gone straight back to JM to at least get the same style disc pattern, but that may not have provided as good an outcome as they probably would still have been the older style non heat treated discs.
Also noticed that new pads were stamped 29/2014 (made in USA)... where the ones JM shipped were stamped with a 2012 date. They must have had trouble moving LT related stock.

Chris
Sydney, NSW

(sold 2019)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in