YOU KNOW WHAT REALLY STINKS??? If I read the earlier posts right, then the mechanic (certainly a misnomer!), said the following:
QUOTE FROM POST #27
Originally Posted by dshealey
Sure looks like a coolant leak into the right cylinder to me too! The wetness can be from the glycol in the antifreeze. I agree that that looks like a head gasket leak at 11:00 on the right cylinder.
I would also be concerned with the white valves on the center cylinders. White is normally a sign of running too lean. could be that the O2 sensor is getting fooled, or has been contaminated with antifreeze and is setting the mixture wrong. But that makes me wonder why the left cylinder seems to be running better. I also wonder why the rear valves on the left three cylinders are greatly different from the front ones. That is a little strange also.
Something really wrong with the insides of that engine. When I pulled the head off mine, all the exhaust valves were the same light tan color, which is normal. Intakes are normally gray/black, exhausts light tan.
"BMW agreed that the bike should be disassembled and the following pics show the guts of the beast. The bottom line is that they saw no evidence of a leak path!! It is going back together now and this leaves me with an unresolved problem.
It may still be a porosity flaw in the block that is letting coolant directly into the crankcase??
This is what the dealer did:
- removed body and tank, made close visual inspection of engine, oil/water pump, and cooling system- no leaks, cracks or signs of damage/malfunction
- removed exhaust system- no sign of leakage from head gasket
- disassembled to accommodate removal of cylinder head
- after removing cylinder head, inspected head gasket for evidence of leakage- no visual evidence found
- inspected mating surfaces on both cylinder head and cylinder casting for signs of damage/leakage- no evidence found
- carefully reassembled engine- let sit overnight to allow sealant to set."
END OF QUOTE
HOW IN THE WORLD CAN A CERTIFIED BMW TECH NOT SEE THE OBVIOUS????
I am new
to the BMW community, miles away
from the components
AND the shop
, looking at PHOTOS
for crying out loud and this engine is screaming at me, "HEAD GASKET LEAK!"
I just hope it WAS the head Gasket and NOT the Head itself, or you'll have a repeat! Do you know if they checked the head for any warping, etc. Did they at least lay a straight edge on the surface to check for flatness??? Wow...
Makes me want to work on my own bike even more than ever!