How to change transmission lube - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Jul 18th, 2006, 8:29 pm Thread Starter

Red face How do you change transmission lube on K1200 LT???

I'm new to the site but have had my K1200 LT since it was new in 2000.
I like to do my own service work but cannot figure out how to change the transmission lube. Can anyone tell me where I can find step by step instructions?

Last edited by papabiker; Jul 18th, 2006 at 9:25 pm. Reason: Making it an obvious question
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Jul 18th, 2006, 8:44 pm

Thumbs up Here you go.

http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php

Dick Wood
2014 R1200RTW Quartz Blue Metallic
Previous2008 Aventurin Silver Metallic K1200GT
Previous 2002 Toscana Green LTE
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old Jul 18th, 2006, 8:49 pm

Hey Papa, welcome to the club-house.

You may or may not have noticed the "Technical" link up there near the top of these here pages. In there are such things as the 'hall of wisedom' (HOW) and a set of Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ). Poke'n 'round in there you'll find a section under maintenance called 'gearbox'. That'll take you to this post by our very own dshealey:
Clicky Link

He describes how he drains tranny fluid and even shares a couple pictures.

Now, what he don't show there (and may well be someplace else on this site) is how to re-fill the gearbox. If you remove the bike's RIGHT side passenger peg foot plate, you'll see a hex plug on the side of the tranny. Using a funnel you can re-fill the thing from there. (now, that's assuming my grey matter ain't fool'n me on my remembering).

For definative 'how to do stuff' - get yourself the service manual on CD. It's enough of an asset, I printed my own completely and then put it in a 3 ring binder. It lives very near my LT. If you're already a bit of a wrench, it'll suite you well. There're also a set of Video Tapes out there that go into even more detail on the basics. Just in case you're not as 'tool inclined' as others may be.

Good luck to ya!

(EDIT: Grey matter failed me - I said the fill plug was behind the driver's LEFT side peg plate, but I gotta PM from a VERY reliable source that I'd been let down by my remembering. Thanks Dick!)

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

Last edited by Zotter; Jul 18th, 2006 at 9:01 pm.

post #4 of 5 Old Jul 18th, 2006, 9:29 pm

Uh - actually I think we're both wrong. Though I was wronger. Looked it up in the book - yea, that one I printed out earlier.

Here's the 'abriged' version:

Only drain the gearbox oil when the gearbox is at operating temps. (this ensures you get all the bad stuff out when you drain it)

Cut a rubber mat as shown (in the drawing I won't reproduce here. See Dave's post about using the oil bottle - it's better).

Place bike on center stand
Remove engine spoiler
Remove the front, right footrest (Yup Right side - but driver, not pax)
Remove the exhaust bracket on the center stand mounting bracket (you'll see pics of this beast in this thread
Unscrew the oil filler plug
Drain oil completely as Dave shows in the post I linked to above there
Re-install drain plug
Fill gearbox with oil
Reinstall filler plug with a new crush ring
Reinstall exhaust bracket

Initial filling of tranny takes aprox 0.6L(0.63US Qt)
Oil to use? "Brand name SAE 90 hypoid gear oil, API Class GL5"

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #5 of 5 Old Jul 19th, 2006, 12:09 am

Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by papabiker
I'm new to the site but have had my K1200 LT since it was new in 2000.
I like to do my own service work but cannot figure out how to change the transmission lube. Can anyone tell me where I can find step by step instructions?
Welcome to the best place to find information about your LT, this site and the people here are great, but I'm new here too.

--Bo
2013 Magma Red R1200GSA
2012 Candy Apple Red R1200R
2007 (2006 Blue Panels) R1200GS (RIP Poteau, OK)
2006 Graphite K1200GT (sold)
2002 Titan Silver LT (sold)

Don't Panic!
Achtung! böse Eichhörnchen!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in