Stupid question about rear tire removal. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Jul 18th, 2006, 6:08 pm Thread Starter

Stupid question about rear tire removal.

The manual says roll it out the back of the bike. Only problem is that there is not enough clearance between the left sidecase and ABS gear ring to get the rim and tire by the ABS gear ring without scratching the rim. I've put some scratches on the rim trying to get it out. Is there a trick, or am I just stupid?

Dick Wood
2014 R1200RTW Quartz Blue Metallic
Previous2008 Aventurin Silver Metallic K1200GT
Previous 2002 Toscana Green LTE
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Jul 18th, 2006, 6:13 pm

I've only taken mine off once to replace the disk, no problems, plenty of room. You did remove the license plate holder, didn't you?

Malcolm McGee
Little Rock, AR
'00 K1200LTC Canyon Red
'09 Kawasaki KLR 650
'96 Bunkhouse
IBA #24557
BMWMOA #117769

post #3 of 8 Old Jul 18th, 2006, 6:16 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod
I've only taken mine off once to replace the disk, no problems, plenty of room. You did remove the license plate holder, didn't you?
Yep, just can't seem to roll it out the back without hitting the ABS gear ring. The dealer changed the tire once already, sos I know the sucker will come out of there.

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #4 of 8 Old Jul 18th, 2006, 6:44 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

I had mine off this weekend had to lean it over a little .Just kick the bottom over to the lrft a little and it should roll out

Stevie Shreeve
post #5 of 8 Old Jul 18th, 2006, 6:50 pm

Try angling the tire; rear of the tire slanted to touch the indentation in the exhaust pipe; middle of the rim close to the caliper/ring. It should roll out at that angle. Tire might be close to caliper/ring as it exits the bike.

If that doesn't work. can you post a picture?

Bob
post #6 of 8 Old Jul 18th, 2006, 7:01 pm

I did it couple weeks ago to change tires on the weel.
remove the 5 screws
pull the weel towards you (you are on the left side of the bike, sitting on the floor )
it will drop down.
if the license plate are removed, you should be able to roll it back with almost no twist on the weel.

--------------------------------
Elton 'StrsOut' Marks '02 Silver-Member #337 (or 287?)

2002 LT - 62,394 miles as of 08/05/2007
2003 GS - 20,960 miles as of 07/11/2008
Loma Linda - CA
IBA#14,458 - AMA

post #7 of 8 Old Jul 18th, 2006, 8:11 pm

I just did it to put new tires on, tilt it a little and turn it (toward your right hand) as you roll it out, it will curve around the rotor and caliper.

I also have the jack under the bike to lift it up a bit so that rear tire just touches, make it easier to put the new one back on.

--Bo
2013 Magma Red R1200GSA
2012 Candy Apple Red R1200R
2007 (2006 Blue Panels) R1200GS (RIP Poteau, OK)
2006 Graphite K1200GT (sold)
2002 Titan Silver LT (sold)

Don't Panic!
Achtung! böse Eichhörnchen!
post #8 of 8 Old Jul 18th, 2006, 8:42 pm Thread Starter

Red face I figured it out!

2 years ago, about two months after I had just had a new tire put on in Denver, I laid the bike down due to sand in the road. I replaced the heat shield (and other things), but didn't realize that it bent the muffler bracket and pushed the muffler in toward the wheel about 1/2 inch. I was able to bend the bracket back almost straight (with long screw driver and a lot of effort) which moved the muffler outward about 3/8 of an inch. I let the air out of the tire and was able to roll it out with about 1/8 inch clearance between the rim and the ABS gear. Tomorrow, Mickey (see below) and I going to get a bigger pry bar and see if I can move it out a little bit more. I works now, but you have to be really really careful not the scratch the rim.

Mickey, who owns a collision center and races late model auto dirt track, is going to sand and retouch the rim tomorrow, after I get the new tire installed. Sos, I'll be good as new, but will have to be very careful in the future removing the rear tire, especially if someone else does it. Also, putting duct tape on the ABS gear helped protect the rim. Those little teeth are really sharp.

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in