3Likes
  • 1 Post By jkersh1
  • 1 Post By Buff8stuff
  • 1 Post By rugguy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old Nov 9th, 2014, 11:01 pm Thread Starter

Thinking of a 2001 LT

Hello all,

I've owned two GWs (1200 and 1500) and two Venture Royales. While I've rented bikes over the last few years, I have not owned one. And I'm getting the urge! I started looking at the Valkyrie and Royal Star, as well as the 1800. A good friend of mine sold his LT and purchased a 1600LT. He said, "You'd love the LT."

So I started researching after looking at his new one. I know *nothing* about these bikes and can't really find much about the standard comfort items. Is there a site that lists all these items (e.g., cruise, plug helmet to helmet communications, etc.)

I've read the first three pages of posts on the forum and frankly was a bit frightened. I've also owned two Range Rovers and did all the work on these myself. Doing the work is not my concern. Getting stuck on a 1,500 mile one-way trip is my concern. My 04 RR was basically a BMW (as many of you no doubt already know). I was stranded too many time, searching the forum to find a workaround to get me going again.

This was never a concern with my Japanese bikes. I road them every day and I was never stranded, putting hundreds of thousands on these bikes.

Do I really need to be concerned?

Thanks, and if I move forward with an LT I'll be on the forum often as I enjoy the company.

Larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old Nov 9th, 2014, 11:17 pm

Re: Thinking of a 2001 LT

I had an 03 LT bought used in 05 put 97K miles on it. Never left me stranded. Worse thing on mine was a slipping clutch that gave me plenty of warning.

I remember Lurking here before I decided to buy. I almost didn't because of the posts. But had I let it deter me I would have missed out on 8 great touring years. In the mean time I have been stranded twice in two different cars in New Mexico on two different trips. Remember people tend to post problems not I rode and nothing happened today. Also note the community's willingness to help out.

Stop thinking and buy it.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #3 of 31 Old Nov 10th, 2014, 2:03 am

No bike is immune to breakdowns. No bike I've ever ridden makes me feel the way I do on my LT. It's not like getting married, no life long commitment, no ugly divorce if you decide you don't like it, its a motorcycle, you buy it, you ride it, you sell it if you decide it isn't for you. If you have the opportunity to experience the LT, don't pass it up. If you are looking at an 2001, see if it has brembo on the disk calipers, means it is an early model, and doesn't have the linked brake system, which I prefer. There are so many features on the LT, that it just takes a bit to figure them all out. Just imagine your (ex) goldwing with all the extra features you could add to it, thats the LT standard stuff. I had a GL1800, not a bad bike, but to me kind of boring. so I "divorced" it, and got the LT, made me realize the excitment I had been missing on a motorcycle.

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 31 Old Nov 10th, 2014, 2:20 am

This site makes owning a LT doable even with the inherent problems but I'd have to admit I wouldn't have owned one if I'd read this forum first. Lucky for me that I hadn't. With your wrenching skills and the support of these guys you'll be fine and you'll enjoy the LT a lot. Welcome aboard.

2000 Lt
800 Kawasaki
25 yrs. without
750 Suzuki
550 Suzuki
160 Honda

The ride is fresh under diamond skies, makes me glad to be alive.
post #5 of 31 Old Nov 10th, 2014, 7:09 am

Bought my 05 new. 45,000 miles. No problems.
post #6 of 31 Old Nov 10th, 2014, 8:23 am Thread Starter

Thanks guys. All this is reassuring.

Do they have the aux port for the iPhone? I assume it has helmet-to-helmet communications (wired?).

I see some with GPS. Is this a BMW GPS system or something else? Easy to update maps (I live in a very fast growing area)?

Are there specific recalls that I need to check?

Again, thanks!
post #7 of 31 Old Nov 10th, 2014, 8:45 am

Buying an LT is similar to buying Festool Tools.
They are twice as expensive as anything else.
I have never looked back.
The biggest pain was making the decision to spend the money, after that I was an instant convert.

Eric von Laue

3Cyl Kawa ( a long time ago)
450 Yamaha Seca ( maybe it was a Maxim )
1100 Honda Magna
650 Honda XR ( to Guatemala and back)
1990 Honda PC800 ( Mountain Mama )
2000 BMW 1200LT ( Maxamillion )

Keep the rubber side down
post #8 of 31 Old Nov 10th, 2014, 9:20 am

[QUOTE=Moogie;1142457]This site makes owning a LT doable...QUOTE]

Ditto. I bought my '01 one year ago today with 73k miles. Today I rolled over 101k and have never been stranded, nor do I worry about it. This is a complicated bike in some ways, but compared to the GW and VR that you're familiar with, this is way more fun, and way more comfortable at the same time... Just do it!

Kevin Sawatsky, Kingston, TX
IBA #487 (IBR 2013, 48 Plus!, B2B Insanity, 10 Tenths, SS5000, 50CC, BBG, SS1000...)
'12 Yamaha Super Tenere
'05 BMW K1200LT
'03 Yamaha FJR
'01 BMW K1200LT (early version) - Sold
'99 BMW K1200LT - Sold
post #9 of 31 Old Nov 10th, 2014, 10:27 am

We retired my 2002 K1200LT with 85,391 miles on the odometer because we bought a new R1200RT. I bought the LT with 40,000 miles on the odometer in the fall of 2008. So far as I know the previous owner had no problems and he kept meticulous records (and is a member here, which I found out AFTER I bought it from the dealer). I performed my own services and learned A LOT. I did have 2 brake hoses leak at two different times and I replaced them and bled the system. I am no mechanic or engineer. But in the big scheme of things I can deal with that with rubber lines exposed to the elements for 10+ years. Last month the large bearing failed in the final drive but I was near a dealer and had just arrived at my Dad's in FL. Again, a bike with 85,000 miles. Because I noticed the issue and took care of it, the repair (even at a dealer) was relatively quick and inexpensive with a $400 estimate with parts and labor.

I have never regretted owning the K1200LT. We put many worthwhile miles on her.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

Last edited by blueknightga6; Nov 10th, 2014 at 11:12 am.
post #10 of 31 Old Nov 10th, 2014, 10:39 am
Lifetime Supporter

I bought a used '02 with 3K miles in 2004. In 150,000 miles it never left me stranded. Trouble-free? No, a leaky engine main seal ruined the clutch, and a leaky brake hose were inconveniences, but not "park-it-now" problems. (Stainless steel brake hoses should be a priority.)
gggGary likes this.

Motor On ,/'

post #11 of 31 Old Nov 10th, 2014, 3:23 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for all the comments.

Here are two dumb questions:

Do the trunks of these bikes have a quick release or something to remove them?
Similarly, do the side bags?

Larry
post #12 of 31 Old Nov 10th, 2014, 3:58 pm

Talking Re: Thinking of a 2001 LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leboyd View Post

Larry
Nope!

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #13 of 31 Old Nov 10th, 2014, 4:06 pm

Quote:

Larry
The trunk can be removed with some light wrenching. But there is also wiring involved for the speakers, audio controls, powerlet plug, heated back rest and brake light in luggage rack (if equipped). But there's no rack underneath it. So far as I know there is no easy way to remove the side cases and they are part of the body work.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

post #14 of 31 Old Nov 10th, 2014, 4:11 pm
Lifetime Supporter

The Top box (trunk) is fairly easy to remove. the liner is held in with Velcro, pull it out and then remove the four bolts holding it on. Slide it back a bit and undo the electrical connections. The downside is the pillar backrest and rear speakers go with it.

As far as the saddle bags go your pretty much stuck with them unless you like the look of bare frame, wires, tubes, etc.

Would the kind of be steam-punk?
Leboyd likes this.
post #15 of 31 Old Nov 10th, 2014, 4:14 pm

Took a nice ride today on the LT...actually still on the ride. Sitting at the Coffee Cottage right now. 50,000 miles, no stranded ... No big issues. I had to fix the cruise control once. Every thing else I've ever done was preventive Maint (tires & fluids). Best bike I have ever had.

Rand & Susan Hawksworth
2000 K1200LT
post #16 of 31 Old Nov 10th, 2014, 4:22 pm

The LT looks terrible with the side cases removed... However the top case is doable.
Sorry about the crappy picture.
(The wiring disconnects are under the Pillion seat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	1.68 MB
ID:	68825  

Rand & Susan Hawksworth
2000 K1200LT
post #17 of 31 Old Nov 10th, 2014, 5:23 pm

If you are not into any wrenching, buying an older LT might be an expensive proposition. If you don't have a BMW dealer close it will also be frustrating.

If you want to do your own maintenance the '01 LT will probably be a good investment. All the features on that '01 are what new M/C riders are looking for today in most of the touring or high end models.

All the info you will need to do your own maintenance is here on this site. There are lots of people that want to help and more importantly they are just jammed with expertise for every repair. They are available for consult with just a few clicks of the keyboard....

I've owned a Venture Royal and a GL1500 and IMHO they can't hold a candle to the LT. I owned each, the Royal for 7 years , the GL for 10 and the LT for 12 years. The riding experience is much much better on the LT. With both the Royal and the GL a repeating 400+ mile day was a task. With the LT, I can repeat 500+ mile days for a month and be disappointed the trip was over.... The LT is much more like the Venture than the GL. The only thing the LT lacks is the low speed grunt. Fortunately the LT likes to dance in the twisties and shifting and throttle twisting adds to the fun.

As far as getting stuck there is no way you can predict wether or not you will get stuck on a trip. However, if you do the wrenching yourself, do the required maintenance when needed, you will know the machine and more importantly know what to look out for so you don't start on a trip with a problem that could sideline you.

You have a distinct advantage because you have a good 'BMW' friend that owned an LT that can help you with your choices.

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #18 of 31 Old Nov 11th, 2014, 7:30 am Thread Starter

The owner of the bike I'm looking at (has 69k on it) says, "I bought the bike a little over a year ago in Illinois. We rode it from Decatur to Green Bay and back. Then I had it shipped down to our home in Houston."

He has no maintenance records, doesn't know how many other owners of the bike there were and only changed the oil and rear brake line.

The price seems good, but it seems I would need to change all the fluids, the fuel/AC filter, probably do the springs/shocks (and steering damper) when I have the tank off, replace the rest of the brake lines, rear diff fluid, the weep hole and upgrade the headlight to HID.

Obviously, that's a lot of time and and about $3,000 in parts (if I'm researching right).

Would you guys agree with what should be done?

What do you give for a bike like this?
post #19 of 31 Old Nov 11th, 2014, 11:01 am

My advice is to stop reading and start riding. I own an '00 Valk Interstate and love the torque and power. The looks at a red light don't hurt either. But for handling and one/two up cruising I don't think you can beat the K.

If I had paid attention to all the Valk forums and their postings about CV and rear spline problems, leaking fuel shut-offs that lead to hydrolock, ignition switch failures, etc., I would never owned one of the best bikes ever made.

I have only owned my K for about three months but I love it. And regardless of what fails or how expensive it is to maintain/repair.....it's still a lot more fun, far less trouble and a boat-load less money than any of my ex-wives.

Hope you buy and ride one.......
Leboyd likes this.

2006 Ultra FLHTCU
2002 K1200 LTE (selling)
2000 Valkyrie 1500CF Interstate
2005 Bully (sold)

"Sand.....I HATE sand! And gravel too!"
post #20 of 31 Old Nov 11th, 2014, 3:32 pm

Garage

Just get one, best bike ever made. I had a GW and sold it to get my 2000LT. mine had 60K on it and I put 8K on it in the last 4 months. Did my first SS1000.
The way they ride, cornering, the comfort on the long long rides, etc. They are just a great bike. I have not regretted my purchase for one single second.
I need to do the oil seal this winter, new rear tire, I want new brake lines (SS), and I am going to do new filters and in tank hose just because. All bikes need love, I am happy to love on this LT.
post #21 of 31 Old Nov 11th, 2014, 5:43 pm

I bought my 2000 LT in April 2014 with 96,000 miles; however, it had a documented service history which made purchasing a 14 year old motorcycle easier. Without a well documented service history, I may be leery of purchasing the LT even with a great sales price. In my case, the LT experience has been fantastic, and the small problems I have encountered in my 10,000 miles of ownership were easily corrected with advice from this great forum. Good luck with the decision.

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL
post #22 of 31 Old Nov 11th, 2014, 6:02 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
The owner of the bike I'm looking at (has 69k on it) says, "I bought the bike a little over a year ago in Illinois. We rode it from Decatur to Green Bay and back. Then I had it shipped down to our home in Houston."

He has no maintenance records, doesn't know how many other owners of the bike there were and only changed the oil and rear brake line.

The price seems good, but it seems I would need to change all the fluids, the fuel/AC filter, probably do the springs/shocks (and steering damper) when I have the tank off, replace the rest of the brake lines, rear diff fluid, the weep hole and upgrade the headlight to HID.

Obviously, that's a lot of time and and about $3,000 in parts (if I'm researching right).

Would you guys agree with what should be done?

What do you give for a bike like this?
Where do you live?

Price sounds like you are getting a dealer to do it.
DIY:
Fluids $50
Brake lines $280
Filters $80
Damper $50-150
HID $35
Put Hyperpro springs on your shocks $300
Weep hole $0
Slave cyl while you are in there $80

Total $900 give/take

Dan M
post #23 of 31 Old Nov 12th, 2014, 1:15 am

LARRY, I HAVE A 2001 AND JUST TURNED 46,000 TODAY AFTER A 600 MILE TWO DAY RIDE. HAVE NEVER BEEN STRANDED ON THE ROAD! DONT LET WHAT YOU READ HERE DETER YOU, ALL THIS IS GOOD INFO FOR THE DIY AND THE WORST CASE STUFF. THESE ARE ONE OF THE GREATEST BIKE MADE, WOULD BUY ONE AGAIN IF NEED. YES NOT FOR THE FAINT HEART, COSTS CAN TO ON THE HIGH SIDE BUT FOR THE DIY'ER IT WORKS.

SORRY FOR THE CAPS, WORKS BETTER WITH MY CARPAL TUNNEL

Eddee P
Bronze God on a Steel Stallion

2001 K1200LT, Champagne with all the STUFF, and R1100RT ft fender, cool
2008 R1200 RTP (retired)
2002 R1150 RTP (retired)
2007 Honda Silverwing
2007 Suzuki Burgman AN650ex
2001 Ducati ST4
1997 KZ1100 (totaled) Motors are cool,

CMTO 8 yrs

We sleep peacefully in our beds at night because rough men stand at the ready to visit violence on our behalf....George Orwell
post #24 of 31 Old Nov 12th, 2014, 9:07 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMartin View Post
Where do you live?

Put Hyperpro springs on your shocks $300

Dan M
I was looking at the Ohlins springs. From what I saw they were a couple of thousand (can't remember if this included the steering damper). That was most of the cost.
post #25 of 31 Old Nov 12th, 2014, 1:07 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I was looking at the Ohlins springs. From what I saw they were a couple of thousand (can't remember if this included the steering damper). That was most of the cost.
Ohlins are a great suspension that is wasted on most of us. I do have them on my LT
but I got them used off ebay.
post #26 of 31 Old Nov 12th, 2014, 5:44 pm

Hi, just my two cents about the LT.

I decided I wanted a large touring bike and was focused on ElectraGlides and Goldwings. I would search Craigslist daily and it seemed like I was going to end up spending somewhere in the neighborhood of $12,000-14,000 for what I wanted.

At some point, I started looking at the LT's because I liked the look and the features on the bike. I also liked the fact that they are not as common as the HD's and Hondas. Plus, I have always liked BMW's.

I realized I could get much more for my money if I bought an older BMW. I found a 2003 LT for a good price and started looking on this site. My biggest concern was how much it would cost for dealer service and repairs. I learned what to be concerned with as well as how to perform my own work on the bike using this site.

No service records or receipts, but I still bought it with just under 50,000 miles. Using what I learned here, I was able to easily change the oil in the engine, transmission and final drive. I also learned how to change the rear rotor and brake pads (had the "cowbell" issue). A few weeks ago I serviced my steering stabilizer and removed both wheels and had new tires installed.

So, I have a bike I really enjoy riding for a decent price and I am able to do most (if not all) work on it myself. So far, no issues at all and I ride it almost daily.
post #27 of 31 Old Nov 12th, 2014, 6:30 pm

I've got a 2001 I bought used in 2005 or so. It had 5K miles at the time, and about 40K now. It has the old style ABS (ABSII the calipers read Brembo), which is OK with me as it's simpler and may be easier to flush and maintain. There is no intercom built into the sound system, but there are aftermarket systems available. I no longer use the on-board audio system. Since my wife rides her own bike, I have gone to a Sena bike-to-bike intercom which allows me to use bluetooth from my mp3 player and phone.

My former bike was a Suzuki Cavalcade. Nice bike, very Gold Wing-like. The Cavalcade was a Lincoln or Caddy on two wheels. The BMW is a BMW on two wheels. The BMW is a much better motorcycle, though it's not as comfortable.

I've never been stranded by the BMW, but I was once on the Suzuki. As far as I'm concerned, they're equally reliable and built to last. Dealer service is expensive no matter the brand, and I do my own service.

Hope you get it and like it. I sure like mine.
post #28 of 31 Old Nov 12th, 2014, 8:55 pm

I bought an 03 LT and it stranded me in Grand Junction with a final drive failure. I hauled it home and fixed it and put another 30K on it before I totaled it and bought another. I never get so far from home I can't make it back with a credit card.....

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #29 of 31 Old Nov 14th, 2014, 8:48 pm

I picked up a 02 lt 2 weeks ago with only 12,000 miles on it. So far I put 300 miles on it and I'm loving it. I had a 05 VTX 1800R but the LT makes me smile every time I'm in the saddle. I took it to work yesterday 36 deg. in the am and I was nice and toasty
post #30 of 31 Old Nov 14th, 2014, 9:04 pm

Larry, it's probably been posted here already, but... you have to remember that those of us that post problems are mostly just a few here at a time. Those of us that are having no problems like I have for the three years I've ridden the '99LT and now the past 14 months on the 'new' 2007 LT, are out riding somewhere.

I have also had 3 Wings - a '75 which was the very first year, an '82 and then a 2002. They all were great. The 2002 is still in the family as the youngest son has it. And the '99 LT is now in Athens, GA as my oldest son got it.

So go for it and have some fun on a great riding machine.

Tommy
77 years old and gittin' younger
__________________________________________________ __
'07 K1200LT Black w/color matched Hannigan Europa II Trailer
'09 KLR650 heavily modified for the TAT

IBA #48786
MOA #164466

post #31 of 31 Old Nov 15th, 2014, 3:31 pm

You will love the LT. If you work on all your own bikes, not a problem since dealer work can be expensive. I've owned my 2004 LT for 2+ years now. It is the most comfortable bike you will ever plant yourself on. It really is what they say. The ultimate riding machine. It has done several road trips and never left me stranded.It had the left channel on the radio burnt out when I bought it. I sent it to the UK to be upgraded with bigger amps and upgraded with an output jack. My final drive went out. I sent it to Saddleman to be rebuilt. It has good power and is very good in the twisties for how big it is. I'm glad I didn't read up on LT's before I got it. I would have been scared off from buying the best 2 up tourer out there. What you don't read about is the hundreds of owners that have these and are riding them with no troubles. Go for it.. Buy it. I'm Warning you though.You will find out. As far as touring machines are concerned. You will find anything else just isn't going to do. There is nothing like an LT. The things that need addressed on these bikes are... Quick fuel disconnects, get metal ones. Replace brake lines with braided Spieglers. And you have to flush the brake fluids every 2 years.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.

Last edited by james216; Nov 15th, 2014 at 4:05 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in