Dyna Beads? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Nov 9th, 2014, 8:59 am Thread Starter

Dyna Beads?

How many oz. of Dyna Beads do I need for the front and rear tire on my LT? If I understand chart it should be 2 oz front and 2 oz rear. Are the Dyna Beads as good as they advertise? Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Nov 9th, 2014, 9:14 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Dyna Beads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notahog View Post
How many oz. of Dyna Beads do I need for the front and rear tire on my LT? If I understand chart it should be 2 oz front and 2 oz rear. Are the Dyna Beads as good as they advertise? Thanks for your help.
You will get as many different opinions here as you get responses.

I've looked at them from my perspective as an engineer with 32 years of experience and I've read tests such as conducted many years ago by MCN. I think they are in the snake oil category.

However, I understand two other things:

1. Modern alloy wheels and tires often need little balance weight. I had one tire mounted by a car tire shop that was not equipped to balance the rear wheel. I planned to have it balanced later but never did as it was smooth as silk to 100 mph. So if nothing at all works at times, the beads probably won't hurt.

2. The placebo effect. If you believe the beads will work, then you will think they did. Look at the placebo results from drug tests. Often the placebo success rate is half as high as the drug itself! The human mind is an amazing thing.

As for me, I bought a No-Mar balancer with my No-Mar changer, and balance my own statically. Not as good as a dynamic balance, but for the relatively narrow LT wheels, more than adequate for typical LT speeds.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Voyager; Nov 9th, 2014 at 10:59 am.
post #3 of 10 Old Nov 9th, 2014, 9:29 am

I have used them in a few different motorcycles as well as others and have had great results. I was not a believer until I tried them. I had one bike they always had trouble getting the front tire balanced but with the beads it was always silky-smooth. I would try them for yourself.

post #4 of 10 Old Nov 9th, 2014, 10:24 am

I tried them on my front tire. Always needed weights and difficult to balance to the point where I can never ride vibration free at 70 mph and up. The dyna beads was worse. I used two ounces per the recommendations and chart listed by dyna beads. I checked the run out on the rotors and rim. No issues there. I tried two different dynamic balancing machines and still no help. Nothing wrong with the bike. Last shot was at another bike shop. He only balances using a static balancer. He does not believe in the dynamic machines because they do not spin the tires up fast enough to real world speeds. So after he found the heavy spot on the rim only and the tire he balanced the tire using good old gravity and the bike is vibration free. I hit speeds of 95 mph on the highway passing traffic and no vibrations. Sometimes old school is better. My rear tire never took weights since I owned the bike. So in conclusion to most users of the dyna beads if you really do not have a balancing issue the dyna beads probably work. I may invest in a tire changer and a static balancer for future use.

2012 R1200RT
1985 T5 Vespa
2007 Piaggio X9 500 EVO
post #5 of 10 Old Nov 9th, 2014, 6:41 pm

I started using them after a friend told me about them. I use them in both my K1200LT and the K1200RS. In the LT, I use 2 oz. both front and rear. The dyna beads really smooths out the ride and I even have new Olins on the bike. I am really impressed with their performance but like the manufacturer says, they are not for race conditions. Will not have dealers balance with weights ever again. Makes changing tires much easier. I don't put them in at the stem. I pour them in while one bead is still open. Works great. The bike is even much smoother which the beads than with the dealer balancing them. Of course, this is just MHO.
post #6 of 10 Old Nov 9th, 2014, 7:37 pm

Yes 2 and 2, some use 3 in the back, I havenít. About 75K miles with them in 2 bikes over 7 years. Just wrote in a different post that I also recycle them. After using them for awhile in the 2 bikes I bought another 5 oz as reserve. I weigh them on my reloading scale and 2 oz fits nicely in a 35mm film canister, you can mark the canister for future fills. When I change tires when the one side is mounted I drop in the 2oz. Then from the old tire with a piece of paper I scoop out the old beads and put them in the canister for the next change, add some if I don't get all of them or drop some. I just keep recycling them. I'm right there when the local shop mounts the tires so I drop them in myself. But you can also add them after the fact thru the valve stem, or have the mounter put them in. First time I used them I put them in thru the stem.

Most people that use them stay with them or transition to the liquid Ride On. I like the Ride On idea but it is expensive compared to the beads and of course itís not re-usable. There are also other less expensive balance beads than dyna beads but I don't think they are ceramic, not sure if they are re-usable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
04 K1200LT, 05 F650GS
post #7 of 10 Old Nov 10th, 2014, 12:41 am

I burned up the rear tire on my LT on a trip in July. Found a shop with a tire.But couldn't balance on their machine. The tech said the only thing he had was Dyna beads. I like static weights. But have to say. The Dyna beads seem to be doing fine. I don't know how much he used. 2oz? I notice no wobble,vibration or anything.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.

Last edited by james216; Nov 10th, 2014 at 1:00 am.
post #8 of 10 Old Nov 10th, 2014, 8:14 am

I'm a believer, used them on my Gold Wing. Was going to put them in when I had my new Michelins installed, but the tech said to wait until the bike was out of warranty, as BMW wouldn't stand behind a TPMS issue if they were installed. Feel free to call the company, very helpful and friendly on how much to use etc. By the way, the beads for ATV and Off Road use, you find when googling online - that show in like a 5 or 10oz pack for sale at Grainger, are not the same as road bike beads.
post #9 of 10 Old Nov 10th, 2014, 1:08 pm

I have been using 1 oz in the front and 2 oz in the rear. For me they work great. I have no complaints about them and I think my tire life has improved. Some may call them snake oil but I'll stick with them.

Marty Blok

99 LT
post #10 of 10 Old Nov 11th, 2014, 1:50 am

Just a note for everyone on installing Dyna Beads. On some tires, the inside of the tire should be washed because there is sometimes a casting release film left behind that can make the beads stick together and negate there balancing performance.

Regards, Honda2BMW

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in