New Owner - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Nov 6th, 2014, 9:58 pm Thread Starter

New Owner

well my co-worker who has been riding only BMW bikes finally talked me into getting one after he got his K1600GT. After test ride was hooked on nice 2006 K1200LT being delivered tomorrow. Have been reading up and already know some upgrades I will be doing this winter (i.e., replace brake lines, and original fuel connectors). One upgrade though want to do sooner than later is fix the radio. Bike was being sold as is and noticed that shortly after radio turned on all the speakers cut out except for right rear one. Dealer says it needs new one but have been reading on possibility of sending it out for repair. Just wasn't sure if this is a becker unit or who manufacturer is. Any leads would be greatly appreciated. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Nov 6th, 2014, 10:02 pm
cws

Garage
Re: New Owner

welcome to the site!

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #3 of 13 Old Nov 7th, 2014, 1:52 am

Welcome aboard to the best motorcycle touring forum there is. Lots of help from very intelligent motorcycle enthusiast. If you need help ask here first and get the best answers fast and save your money for the road. Hope you get some riding time on your new toy.

2000 Lt
800 Kawasaki
25 yrs. without
750 Suzuki
550 Suzuki
160 Honda

The ride is fresh under diamond skies, makes me glad to be alive.

post #4 of 13 Old Nov 7th, 2014, 8:29 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejoseph01701 View Post
One upgrade though want to do sooner than later is fix the radio. Bike was being sold as is and noticed that shortly after radio turned on all the speakers cut out except for right rear one. Dealer says it needs new one but have been reading on possibility of sending it out for repair. Just wasn't sure if this is a becker unit or who manufacturer is. Any leads would be greatly appreciated. thanks
Like other have said, Welcome.

All radios in the Lt's are Becker the early years have different firmware. So you can send it out for repair. There is a guy in England that has repaired a number of radios with good results. (Baris) HTH

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #5 of 13 Old Nov 7th, 2014, 9:19 am

You can send it to Becker better in the US(New Jersey I think) and they will rebuild for a flat rate of $400. My friend had the identical problem as you and they fixed his. Fast turn around also.
post #6 of 13 Old Nov 7th, 2014, 9:27 am

Welcome. You will enjoy the LT. It's an 870 pound luxury touring motorcycle that can masquerade as a sport motorcycle.

When I took my LT to a dealer with a FD issue while on the road, they actually found an open recall on the bike for the fuel connectors. It was to change only the male connector from plastic to metal.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

post #7 of 13 Old Nov 7th, 2014, 3:47 pm

This guy is good, and can repair just about any radio. He repaired a Becker radio from one of my BMW cars when I lived in San Diego.

Radioman provides car audio radio repairs for Mercedes BOSE Lexus BMW Becker Alpine Honda Nissan Jaguar Porsche VW Toyota Audi Mazda Chrysler Ford Volvo in San Diego

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #8 of 13 Old Nov 7th, 2014, 5:42 pm

congrats and welcome

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #9 of 13 Old Nov 7th, 2014, 11:49 pm

I got my radio fixed through a guy named Baris in the UK. WWW.car phonics.com He puts bigger amps in. 45watts instead of the 20 like Becker does. And can install an array of outputs for you. From RCA outputs to Bluetooth or 3.5 Aux jack. My radio sounds great.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.

Last edited by james216; Nov 7th, 2014 at 11:58 pm.
post #10 of 13 Old Nov 8th, 2014, 12:16 am Thread Starter

Smile Re: New Owner

thanks for all the welcomes and tips. Never seen such response or more help in other forums. Just got it today and cant seem to h time on it. looking forward to more tomorrow. as for the radio, now have front and rear right side only. so trying the battery trick. if no luck will look into the two references given. now just up late playing with the new Nav 5 i got installed as an upgrade to the package. couldnt stand thought of staring at the empty clamp in the handlebars.

thanks again. greatly appreciated
post #11 of 13 Old Nov 8th, 2014, 12:35 pm

How about filling in some of the things on your info page so we know where you are? Helps sometime when you need more eyes on a problem.

But never-the-less... you have made a move in a direction that only will bring you joy - mostly!! I smile now every time I ride the Black Lady, but now at present only when I hobble out to the shop and give her a pat and crank her up. A great piece of riding machinery. Maybe a bit over engineered, but to me better over than under in that department .

I'm just about at then end of recouping from an accident on Sept 26 on I-75 about 18 miles from home on my KLR-650 when a front tire blew out at 72 mph. I had just noted the speed on the Zumo 650 and bam, I heard then felt the jerk just as I went down on the pavement. I also felt the pavement. The pain on a 76 year old body spinning around and then rolling over and over across 3 lanes of interstate in the blackness of night is embedded in my memory.

Broken finger, really badly broken ankle and 3 ribbs. But the HJC full helmet and riding gear sacrificed itself and did the job and I have no facial scrapes at all. Elbows and knees were beat up pretty good bit and the new right hand glove was totally eaten off my hand. I evidently rolled across 3 lanes and into the grassy median. Gods Angles were riding with me that night and there was no traffic behind me at 1:30am.

I was very close to emergency help and within about 15 minutes I was being placed in and EMT truck. I almost laughed when I heard the EMT's saying this was an unusual run as the biker was still alive! Yeah I am a tough old bastard... I'm still alive.

I'm about a week away from the cast coming off the right ankle and I have already gotten the few parts needed to put the KLR back right. It was really just lightly damaged because of the Wolfman saddlebags that were packed with clothes and the front SW Motec crash bars up front. The right saddlebag is just a rag but only a right mirror and signal light and upper fairing were damaged. And a set of new 80/20 tires and tubes are in too.

But the first thing I plan on doing next week is pulling out the LT and doing a ride around the area to be sure she is satisfied first.

So Joseph, I feel about like you are probably feeling with a new LT. I can't wait until I can get back to riding it. Good luck with all your plans on you LT!!!

Be Safe. Check your tire pressure all the time. 42 front and 48 in the rear if you are running the Metzelers or Stones.

Tommy
77 years old and gittin' younger
__________________________________________________ __
'07 K1200LT Black w/color matched Hannigan Europa II Trailer
'09 KLR650 heavily modified for the TAT

IBA #48786
MOA #164466

post #12 of 13 Old Nov 8th, 2014, 4:39 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tconnell View Post
How about filling in some of the things on your info page so we know where you are? Helps sometime when you need more eyes on a problem.

But never-the-less... you have made a move in a direction that only will bring you joy - mostly!! I smile now every time I ride the Black Lady, but now at present only when I hobble out to the shop and give her a pat and crank her up. A great piece of riding machinery. Maybe a bit over engineered, but to me better over than under in that department .

I'm just about at then end of recouping from an accident on Sept 26 on I-75 about 18 miles from home on my KLR-650 when a front tire blew out at 72 mph. I had just noted the speed on the Zumo 650 and bam, I heard then felt the jerk just as I went down on the pavement. I also felt the pavement. The pain on a 76 year old body spinning around and then rolling over and over across 3 lanes of interstate in the blackness of night is embedded in my memory.

Broken finger, really badly broken ankle and 3 ribbs. But the HJC full helmet and riding gear sacrificed itself and did the job and I have no facial scrapes at all. Elbows and knees were beat up pretty good bit and the new right hand glove was totally eaten off my hand. I evidently rolled across 3 lanes and into the grassy median. Gods Angles were riding with me that night and there was no traffic behind me at 1:30am.

I was very close to emergency help and within about 15 minutes I was being placed in and EMT truck. I almost laughed when I heard the EMT's saying this was an unusual run as the biker was still alive! Yeah I am a tough old bastard... I'm still alive.

I'm about a week away from the cast coming off the right ankle and I have already gotten the few parts needed to put the KLR back right. It was really just lightly damaged because of the Wolfman saddlebags that were packed with clothes and the front SW Motec crash bars up front. The right saddlebag is just a rag but only a right mirror and signal light and upper fairing were damaged. And a set of new 80/20 tires and tubes are in too.

But the first thing I plan on doing next week is pulling out the LT and doing a ride around the area to be sure she is satisfied first.

So Joseph, I feel about like you are probably feeling with a new LT. I can't wait until I can get back to riding it. Good luck with all your plans on you LT!!!

Be Safe. Check your tire pressure all the time. 42 front and 48 in the rear if you are running the Metzelers or Stones.
Wow! Glad you survived. Broken ankle is a bad deal, but good to hear that the gear did its job.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #13 of 13 Old Nov 9th, 2014, 12:15 am Thread Starter

Tom

Glad to hear you are on the mend and hoping to ride soon. Like you said, was anxious to get on and ride and now wanting to ride everywhere. Yeah its 40 degrees here in lovely New England, but 6 years in Syracuse and those heated grips and seat make it bearable and enjoyable. Love the looks though from the others riders all bundled up...

Get well soon!!

Tags
radio

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in