Canisersctomy? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Jul 18th, 2006, 1:24 am Thread Starter

Canisersctomy?

Overfilled my gas tank and bike started running bad (surge, stall at stops). Also when I open the gas cap there is a air rush sound. I also see a small amount of gas dripping out of the vent hose in the back of the bike. So will this problem clear up on it's own since the vent hose is getting rid of the excess gas? Or will I need to remove or replace the canister.

Thanks
Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Jul 18th, 2006, 1:27 am

I'd remove the cannister. There are very detailed posts here to guide you through it. PM me if you can't find them. Either way, don't wait. You can damage the fuel level sender when the vacumn causes the tank to start to collapse.
post #3 of 21 Old Jul 18th, 2006, 1:55 am
Super Moderator

You should remove the canister, the sooner the better. Once fuel gets into the canister it clogs up and the pressure buildup can collapse the fuel cell, which along with being expensive to replace, can damage the fuel pump and fuel gauge. There are instructions posted in the Hall of Wisdom, and I've attached instructions I wrote up a while back with the help of some fellow LTers.
Attached Files
File Type: doc LT Canisterectomy.doc (19.5 KB, 252 views)

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 21 Old Jul 18th, 2006, 2:22 am Thread Starter

Canisersctomy

Thanks Dave,

Just one question. What is the purpose of putting a screw in the intake hose? Do I want to block the hose from sucking in any air? If so why?

Thanks
post #5 of 21 Old Jul 18th, 2006, 7:05 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovero
Thanks Dave,

Just one question. What is the purpose of putting a screw in the intake hose? Do I want to block the hose from sucking in any air? If so why?

Thanks
Yeppir, to keep from sucking air. That hose goes to a valve, which in turn goes to the fuel rail. So, if you don't block it, when the valve opens it'll be sucking air causing a lean condition.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
post #6 of 21 Old Jul 18th, 2006, 7:10 am

Just a guess, but the hose mentioned goes to the 'intake' for the engine... I think it is called the "purge" line...probably part of why your engine is running poorly is that it is allowing fuel to be pulled into the engine from the cannister rather than "vapor". You would want to plug that... not the fuel Cell vent line.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #7 of 21 Old Jul 18th, 2006, 9:46 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovero
Overfilled my gas tank and bike started running bad (surge, stall at stops). Also when I open the gas cap there is a air rush sound. I also see a small amount of gas dripping out of the vent hose in the back of the bike. So will this problem clear up on it's own since the vent hose is getting rid of the excess gas? Or will I need to remove or replace the canister.

Thanks
Joe

I had this happen on mine once, it did clear up, I do not want to remove my canister, the one thing I do NOT miss at all is the smell of gas in my garage. when I owned all hd's you could smell gas , since we own bmw's you don't at all. it's great!

Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #8 of 21 Old Jul 18th, 2006, 10:45 am

I only smelled fuel one time with the cannister removed. Don't worry about it Joe...just do it.
post #9 of 21 Old Jul 18th, 2006, 2:22 pm Thread Starter

Caniserstomy Operation Complete Patient Doing Great!

Well I removed the cannister and all is well. No more stalling or surging. I also installed a inline fuel filter $2.48 on the vent hose, no smell of gas. Just for fun I blew air into the cannister and sure enough out comes lots of raw gas. Thanks again for the wisdom of this board.
post #10 of 21 Old Jul 18th, 2006, 2:27 pm

Cannister's been removed from mine for a while Tom. I have no, repeat NO, gas smell at all from the bike. It is one less problem to have creep up on ones self. YMMV.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."

Last edited by Steve_R; Jul 18th, 2006 at 2:44 pm.
post #11 of 21 Old Jul 18th, 2006, 3:01 pm

now do that to 4 or 5 bikes in the garage then quick light a match!

<g>

Tom

post #12 of 21 Old Jul 18th, 2006, 3:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
Cannister's been removed from mine for a while Tom. I have no, repeat NO, gas smell at all from the bike. It is one less problem to have creep up on ones self. YMMV.
Problem? sure if you dump the bike and fill the hose with gas it could be a problem, but outside of that there is absolutly no performance or mileage gain by removing it, and trust me if you had a few bikes that vented direct to your garage you would smell gas

Tom

post #13 of 21 Old Jul 18th, 2006, 3:09 pm

I have a newbie question about this issue.

I do not think I have overfilled my Gas tank but I am not sure how I would know. I have never had gas poor out over the tank if that is the issue.

I do however have the surging issue. Should I remove this canister as well?
post #14 of 21 Old Jul 18th, 2006, 4:19 pm

After a ride with our Daveh, I started having symptoms so I did the canisterectomy last Saturday. It is the first time I ever disassembled any part of my bike so I was nervous. It went without a hitch. The bike is running smooth and powerfully with 44 mpg at 70mph, two up, loaded cases and Cee Baileys #2 up all the way, just like SWMBO likes it. No gas smell at all.

If you are concerned about not having a canister, you can replace it with a new one, BMW part number 16131464924, about $38 from the dealer. You need a new cable strap to hold it in because you must cut the old one to get it out.

Dave
Monkton, MD
and Pawleys Island, SC
2002 K1200LTC

Last edited by Daman858; Jul 18th, 2006 at 4:46 pm. Reason: spellin, what elze?
post #15 of 21 Old Jul 18th, 2006, 4:29 pm
Rider Journeyman

Howdy Rovero,

Please fill in your profile so we know what model year we're discussing,
though it's not important in this case since you've eliminated your problem with the canisterectomy.

Since you had the "whooshing" sound of a the vacuum created by the clogged cannister, I would recommend keeping a close eye on your fuel gauge for a fill-up, or two. This is in the unlikely event that the vacuum that was created caused the float tube to collapse and impede the float ball travel.

If your fuel gauge is working okay, then you probably don't have any damage.

For those that are wondering why most everyone is so insistent on removing an emissions control device: This canister can become clogged by fuel overfilling, spilling over if the bike is dropped and by "sucking up" rain water while riding. The clog can cause the fuel gauge to give a faulty reading due the collapsing float tube and, worst case can actually collapse the fuel tank.

I am personally adamant about it's removal after sitting on the side of road in the deserts of Nevada with an incorrectly reading fuel gauge showing 1/4 tank when it was in fact, bone dry.

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05

RCB AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
CCR: '04 Breckenridge CO, '05 Jackson Lake Lodge WY, '06 Chateau Elan GA, '08 Midway UT

Last edited by BillyOmaha; Jul 18th, 2006 at 4:36 pm.
post #16 of 21 Old Jul 18th, 2006, 4:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowoc
I have a newbie question about this issue.

I do not think I have overfilled my Gas tank but I am not sure how I would know. I have never had gas poor out over the tank if that is the issue.

I do however have the surging issue. Should I remove this canister as well?
What year is your bike? There could be several other reasons for your surging, depending on year and a couple of fixes.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #17 of 21 Old Jul 19th, 2006, 2:24 am

I don't know if there are warranty issues if you remove the cannister from a bike still under warranty. What I did was disconnect the cannister, plug the line running to the intake, sealed the intake to the cannister and ran the rubber line from the fuel cell down toward the ground.

Now, when I go in for a service, I simply reconnect everything, and no one is the wiser. Maybe what I'm doing is needless, but I don't want to take any chances.

Ride with Pride,

Capt John
Tracy, CA

post #18 of 21 Old Jul 19th, 2006, 11:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
What year is your bike? There could be several other reasons for your surging, depending on year and a couple of fixes.
Sorry, I have a 2005.

I was also wondering about the fueling procedures. I fill the tank till the pump cuts out, but that does not fill the tank completely. I do not think I have ever gotten the tank full (at least on the gauge). Should I look out for something?
post #19 of 21 Old Jul 19th, 2006, 11:58 am

Fill er up when it's on the sidestand. I would rock my bike back & forth gently until it was truly full. It takes patience more than anything.
post #20 of 21 Old Jul 19th, 2006, 12:40 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowoc
Sorry, I have a 2005.

Should I look out for something?
Never stick the nozzle in like you do on the cage - could hit the fuel sending tube. I put the very tip "just" past the ring at the bottom of the filler and go for it (on the side stand of course). Never had an over fill problem. And always get it topped right off.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #21 of 21 Old Jul 19th, 2006, 3:19 pm

What about the surging? It seems it is worse when it is warm. The dealer told me not to worry about it.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in