Can I find a male plug for this? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 11:27 pm Thread Starter

Question Can I find a male plug for this?

I have a standard 2000 K1200LT (no frills) with a radio and cassette player. The buttons on top of the tank include one button for the CD player, but I don't have a cd player or changer or any wiring harness to plug into.

But, look what I found right behind the radio, a 10 pin female plug that I assume is for the cd player.

Can someone confirm this? I would like to plug my iPod into this but I need the male counter part; any ideas where I can find a male plug? I can make the cable.

Thanks,
Gary
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6047.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	535.6 KB
ID:	5176  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 11:45 pm

This is just an assumption, but I think it's a good one. It doesn't matter if you can find the right connector or not. I'm betting that that input from the CD changer to the head unit is looking for a digital source...and NOT an analog signal. That is the way most (if not all) OEM CD changers work.

I hope for your sake that I am wrong.
post #3 of 8 Old Jul 18th, 2006, 9:14 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

That is the connector that LEADs back to the 6- CD player in the side case. There are two 10 pin male connectors on the back of the unit. The left one is for the 6-CD connector the right one is a connector for the V.O.I.C.E. II input and can be used as an AUX input. They are standard dual row header pins spaced 0.100" apart.

Oops! Missed the part of this being a cassette unit. There will be no right side connector for AUX.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jzeiler; Jul 18th, 2006 at 1:10 pm.

post #4 of 8 Old Jul 18th, 2006, 9:55 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryEdgar
I have a standard 2000 K1200LT (no frills) with a radio and cassette player. The buttons on top of the tank include one button for the CD player, but I don't have a cd player or changer or any wiring harness to plug into.

But, look what I found right behind the radio, a 10 pin female plug that I assume is for the cd player.

Can someone confirm this? I would like to plug my iPod into this but I need the male counter part; any ideas where I can find a male plug? I can make the cable.

Thanks,
Gary
Just get a cassette adapter and plug your Ipod into that. They're $20 for a good one. The audio from this system isn't good enough that you'll notice a difference.

It's what I used to do before they changed my head unit to a CD player.

NOW I have to figure out where the AUX input goes which I bet requires buying something else and having to take all the tupperware off to install it.

A plug on the face of the CD head unit would have made too much sense.
post #5 of 8 Old Jul 18th, 2006, 7:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryEdgar

Thanks,
Gary
Gary,

If you decide you really want one I would try www.jameco.com

Tim

2005 Graphite
The only way to live is in the wind....
post #6 of 8 Old Jul 19th, 2006, 3:19 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Don't assume that plug is for the missing CD changer. It's been a while since I had mine apart, but I remember that the CD changer harness plugs directly into the back of the radio itself. I think that little white plug is for an unused intercom connection. If I had my wiring diagram I could tell for sure, but that is what I remember.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #7 of 8 Old Jul 19th, 2006, 4:48 pm
Bob

CD connector...

Yes that is the CD Connector, Yes it has an analog stereo input in it, No you can't use it. When the Radio polls the CD player digitally, it asks if it is there, how many CDs it has and what the last status was. Without the reply from the CD player it won't turn on the inputs for the audio. Bummer Eh?
There are other options, some not as pretty but functional. I have modified a few so that a stereo input is available but it is a hack and takes a while.

Bob Weir KC6VHS
99 K1200LTC Canyon Red "Thank god I didn't sell her!"
06 K1200lt Magnesium Black Metallic. YEAH! Baby got new legs,
Plastic will be a bit crunchy, but... She will be road worthy soon!
MAXbmwmotorcycles.com Great price on parts and free shipping!
Saved me about $560.00+ on local parts! Thanks Max!

82 Yamaha Seca ZZzzapp (converting to electric)
Where is Bob? click here!

post #8 of 8 Old Jul 19th, 2006, 11:09 pm Thread Starter

Thank you all for your input.

It sounds like Bob has a very good understanding of the technical specifics and how the radio and cd changer interface with each other. I think the idea of pluging my ipod into the cd interface isn't going to work.

However, Petre's idea is a low tech idea that will work with the cassette adaptor (and it turns out he's right in my back yard; about 12 miles away).

Thanks again,
Gary

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in