Windshield Fog Woes / Meguiar's - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 10:27 pm Thread Starter

Windshield Fog Woes / Meguiar's

I purchased the Meguiar's cleaner/polish combination advertised to do wonders for motorcycle windshields. So, like a dope, I applied it to my '04 LT. I followed directions, used clean microfiber towels for each process and "let the fog begin." Not only does it always fog, it looks greasy and the windshield always looks like it needs to be cleaned. At night, the view through it is blurry. I tried using Tide (as mentioned in a similar post earlier) to clean it off, not much better. Will purchase denatured alcohol and give that a shot. Meguiar's has a return policy (I bought it through their website) and I sent them an email; expressing my woes and requesting info on their return policy and process. And, guess what? No response from them. I guess when you sell a lackluster product there is little chance you'll stand behind it. Another costly lesson; in cash, hassle, and efforts to remove it. Buyer beware! Looks like a Cee Bailey is in my future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 10:49 pm

From what I understand with the factory shield, the coating is the problem. If you seal the coating with a waxy topping, you get condensation or fog trapped between the windshield and the factory coating because the coating can no longer breathe. I'm pretty sure the McGuires product would work on other, non-coated shields. Denatured alcohol should safely remove the McGuires and let the coating "breathe" again. I've seen similar products that don't work on the factory BMW shield do a great job on other motorcycle shields.

So many toys out there, so little time!
2015 BMW K1600GTLE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Piaggio 250 Betty's toy
2001 HD FLSTSI
1957 BMW R60
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IBA #26695
RA #39456
MOA #150880

Always looking for more...
post #3 of 11 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 10:51 pm

Meguiar's is for acrylic shields . . . NOT polycarbonate shields. The alcohol should do the trick, if you haven't ruined the coating of the OEM shield too badly.

Good luck.

post #4 of 11 Old Jul 18th, 2006, 7:21 am

I've tried several products on my 99LT windshield. Denatured alcohol worked each time to get the offending stuff off. Now, finally, I have learned to just use soap and water to clean it and give up on the fancy stuff.

Ray Rau
Brewster, NY
'99 LT - Champagne
post #5 of 11 Old Jul 18th, 2006, 10:20 am

Paint Ball Masks

Go to a hobby show (HobbyTown USA) or any around where you are, ask for the Paint Ball Masks specific Anti-Fog stuff, is what I use and I have NEVER had the problem again, it will take a couple of applications, a couple of weeks apart but it works awsome.

Darcy Bastos
2007 FJR1300
2007 Ducati GT1000 Sport Classic
Atlanta, GA
post #6 of 11 Old Jul 18th, 2006, 7:22 pm

I haven't put any denatured alcohol on my bike. But, if moisture is a concern, I would get 99% denatured alcohol instead of rubbing alcohol which contains 20-40% water, and try it on a small, spot.

Bob, 00LT
post #7 of 11 Old Jul 18th, 2006, 7:50 pm

Sam, I don't know what BMW's current policy is, but since your '04 is still under warranty, you can ask the dealer to replace your fogged windshield. Back a few years ago, they would do this for you. The replacement BMW shields (here in the US) are made by National Cycle in the US of A (unlike the made-in-Germany shields that come on new LTs), and they do NOT fog up. This also leaves you riding behind a polycarbonate shield, a benefit (some of us believe) over the Cee Bailey's shields.

- Bob

Cowboy Bob Menton

Greenville SC USA
'07 K1200GT, '83 R80S (nee '83 R80RT)
'86 Honda CH-250 scooter (original owner)
"You can never escape the FOG (Fast Old Guys)"
post #8 of 11 Old Jul 18th, 2006, 9:08 pm Thread Starter

Thanks, Mr. Menton, and everyone else for their direction and advice. I'll try the warranty request with another dealer than where the bike was originally bought .... BMW of the place where NASCAR races are near Cape Canaveral charged me a good buck to clean and adjust my rear brakes ... something that I thought would have been warrantied with all of the non stop squealing. "New" shop only an hour or so away, will see what they have to say. Have appt. for Friday morning. Thanks again, all!
post #9 of 11 Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 12:25 pm

Re: Windshield Fog Woes / Meguiar's

Quote:
Originally Posted by NascaLT
I purchased the Meguiar's cleaner/polish combination advertised to do wonders for motorcycle windshields. So, like a dope, I applied it to my '04 LT. I followed directions, used clean microfiber towels for each process and "let the fog begin." Not only does it always fog, it looks greasy and the windshield always looks like it needs to be cleaned. At night, the view through it is blurry. I tried using Tide (as mentioned in a similar post earlier) to clean it off, not much better. Will purchase denatured alcohol and give that a shot. Meguiar's has a return policy (I bought it through their website) and I sent them an email; expressing my woes and requesting info on their return policy and process. And, guess what? No response from them. I guess when you sell a lackluster product there is little chance you'll stand behind it. Another costly lesson; in cash, hassle, and efforts to remove it. Buyer beware! Looks like a Cee Bailey is in my future.
I've used Plexus, and only Plexus, on my three K1200LTs (two 2000s and a 2005) over the past seven years and have been very pleased with the results.
post #10 of 11 Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 11:36 pm

I Agree. I Us Plexus, My Dealer Uses Plexus, Aircraft Companies Use Plexus, Helmet Dealers On Visors Etc. Great Non Abrasive Cleaner And Polish/sealer. No Fogging After Application. And Its So Easy To Apply!
post #11 of 11 Old Jul 24th, 2008, 3:24 pm

First, go with Bobs suggestion and see if you can have it covered under warranty. Even with a replacement windshield fogging may continue to be a problem. My best advice to you is to clean it only with mild soap and water and then give it a wipe off with alcohol. I have read assorted threads on why the fogging happens and what the problems may be, but the bottom line is wiping it with some rubbing alcohol.

Jim in GA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in