Update on the 888 rear tire for the LT. - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By BMW_forever
  • 1 Post By rattler50

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old Nov 5th, 2014, 12:15 am Thread Starter

Update on the 888 rear tire for the LT.

Hello everyone,

So in a previous threat I asked about which tires to get and said that the Metz 888 rear tire rubs on the right side on the KLT.

So I bought an 880 replacement out of Canada, they are getting harder to find.

The tire finally arrived yesterday, of course bike shops are closed on Monday.

Today I went to 3 shops & they could not balance the wheel since they don't have the center adapter for the BMW wheel.

The joys of being in a relatively small town in CA.

There is one more local shop I shall try tomorrow, otherwise I have to go to Chico or Sacramento.

This has proven to be a pain in the ass and a huge waster of time.

Metzeler has been unresponsive to my complaints, today I sent them an email full of foul language as I was really pissed off, told them where to stick their tires and that this is the first and last time I will ever buy their tires.

The 880 is visibly smaller than the 888 and they knew that the 888 has rubbing issues (as they told me on the phone last time I spoke with them) yet they continue to recommend it.

A LOT of time, gas and effort has been wasted just to replace a stupid tire. Everything about this bike it seems sometime as a royal pain in the ass.

So that is where things stand.

Cheers,
AJ
jojo57 and Honda2BMW like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old Nov 5th, 2014, 12:46 am

Re: Update on the 888 rear tire for the LT.

Yeah, its a bummer that you have had to invest so much energy into the Metz's. It can be so frustrating when you think something so simple becomes so complicated. I'm a little curious about the "local" shops not being able to balance the tire, my neighbor who does track racing has a simple balancer that just uses a couple of cones on a rod to capture the wheel, and he was easily able to balance my BMW wheel, and it is a pretty generic balancer...
On the tire note, just get a bridgestone and put it on the back, they are less expensive, and have good grip. I quit riding the metz's because they were too slippery here in the pacific northwest with all the rain.

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 28 Old Nov 5th, 2014, 2:16 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualemt View Post
Yeah, its a bummer that you have had to invest so much energy into the Metz's. It can be so frustrating when you think something so simple becomes so complicated. I'm a little curious about the "local" shops not being able to balance the tire, my neighbor who does track racing has a simple balancer that just uses a couple of cones on a rod to capture the wheel, and he was easily able to balance my BMW wheel, and it is a pretty generic balancer...
On the tire note, just get a bridgestone and put it on the back, they are less expensive, and have good grip. I quit riding the metz's because they were too slippery here in the pacific northwest with all the rain.
That is what I had on before..bridgestones front and rear. The front didn't last very long thus decided to try the Metz. At these prices these tires should last a bit longer than they do.

I asked about the manual balancer, they still need the cone that fits into the center of the hub in the wheel so they can balance it. And they didn't have it.

They could mount the tire but not balance it. Hopefully this shop tomorrow will have the right part to balance the wheel.

One shop was a Honda dealer so he had fittings for Japanese bikes, another was for mostly Harleys and another was for those 4 wheel quads...can't remember the brand now but they are well known. And another I called said he didn't have it for a beemer.

post #4 of 28 Old Nov 5th, 2014, 2:18 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualemt View Post
Oh, I've ridden through WA before on the Bridgestones and it was raining and I was cruising at 95 mph w/cruise control while the rain is coming down and didn't have a problem.

The front bridgestone tire sucks royally though...does not last.
post #5 of 28 Old Nov 5th, 2014, 3:02 am

Many on this forum run the Bridgestone on the rear and the Metz on the front.
This doesn't cause any problems and provides the best mileage/cost combo IMHO.

Jesse Kriner
Hope Mills, NC

2014 K1600 GTL Damask Red
2005 K1200 LT "Gray Ghost" 148,000+ miles
2014 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (wife's)
2012 Honda NC700X DCT ABS
2002 Shadow Sabre
1985 K100 RS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 28 Old Nov 5th, 2014, 4:29 am
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkriner View Post
Many on this forum run the Bridgestone on the rear and the Metz on the front.
This doesn't cause any problems and provides the best mileage/cost combo IMHO.
Almost 200,000 LT miles with the front ME880 & rear BT020 combination.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #7 of 28 Old Nov 5th, 2014, 5:59 am

Marc Parnes wheel balancer, $135, works a treat, even here in Australia. Forget the Metz ME880 on the rear, fine on the front (my last 2 rears split the carcase at approx 2/3 life). BS BT020 is fine, it was original equipment on my '05.
95 mph in the rain .............. Hmmmmm

Dennis
1987 Yamaha TY250R
1991 Aprilia Climber 280
1988 K100RT (the pack horse)
2005 K1200LTE Light yellow metallic
post #8 of 28 Old Nov 5th, 2014, 6:44 am

As said above, next time move to a Bridgestone BT020 on the rear. I also have one on the front because I like the extra grip, but I'm under no illusions that it will last a long time...

But since you have the Metz, one option is to get it mounted without balancing, get some ride-on self balancing tire sealant, install and ride. The VTX guys, who also use ME880s and BT020s, swear by this stuff. I haven't tried it yet but I am changing tires on my VTX and I will be trying it soon. If you really want to stick with weights, also as stated above, the Marc Parnes balancer is well worth the investment and would likely sell easily if you decided to get out of it later as it's a very well made and popular item.

In my case, because I have 2 bikes, I easily justified a harbor freight tire mounting system, modifying it and adding mojoblocks and a mojolever so that it's very easy to dismount and mount tires myself. I've got about $500 into the tire changing setup with the Marc Parnes balancer. It will take a while to break even (looks like about 5 years for me), but I get to change and balance tires on my own schedule (and I am super careful so I know it's done right).

Hope this helps.

BMWMOA member

Current rides:
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic BMW K1200LT
2002 Pearl Orange Honda VTX1800 Retro

Prior rides:
Suzuki GS425E (Australia)
Suzuki T250R (Australia)
post #9 of 28 Old Nov 5th, 2014, 7:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_forever View Post
Hello everyone,

So in a previous threat I asked about which tires to get and said that the Metz 888 rear tire rubs on the right side on the KLT.

So I bought an 880 replacement out of Canada, they are getting harder to find.

The tire finally arrived yesterday, of course bike shops are closed on Monday.

Today I went to 3 shops & they could not balance the wheel since they don't have the center adapter for the BMW wheel.

The joys of being in a relatively small town in CA.

There is one more local shop I shall try tomorrow, otherwise I have to go to Chico or Sacramento.

This has proven to be a pain in the ass and a huge waster of time.

Metzeler has been unresponsive to my complaints, today I sent them an email full of foul language as I was really pissed off, told them where to stick their tires and that this is the first and last time I will ever buy their tires.

The 880 is visibly smaller than the 888 and they knew that the 888 has rubbing issues (as they told me on the phone last time I spoke with them) yet they continue to recommend it.

A LOT of time, gas and effort has been wasted just to replace a stupid tire. Everything about this bike it seems sometime as a royal pain in the ass.

So that is where things stand.

Cheers,
AJ
Mount the 880. Then next time. Go with the avon s or the BT020's. I personally hate Metzelers. There crappy in wet condition IMHO. I got one mounted on my spare rear rim and can't wait to burn it up just to get rid of it. Hell. I would have given you a deal on the one I got. Its practically new. But its paid for so I'll mount it when my Avon wears out and burn it it up.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #10 of 28 Old Nov 5th, 2014, 8:12 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman View Post
Almost 200,000 LT miles with the front ME880 & rear BT020 combination.
How in the world you get 200K miles on a set of tires ?

My bike has a bit over 25K miles and I've already replaced the front bridgestone with another and now with a Metzeler and the rear bridgestone is replaced with a Metz. And I don't know how many tires the previous owner had replaced on the bike before I bought it.

So I don't see how 200k is even possible.
post #11 of 28 Old Nov 5th, 2014, 8:28 pm
cws

Garage

He said "combination", not individual tyres.

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #12 of 28 Old Nov 5th, 2014, 9:28 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_forever View Post
How in the world you get 200K miles on a set of tires ?

My bike has a bit over 25K miles and I've already replaced the front bridgestone with another and now with a Metzeler and the rear bridgestone is replaced with a Metz. And I don't know how many tires the previous owner had replaced on the bike before I bought it.

So I don't see how 200k is even possible.
Dave was saying using that tire combination....not 200k on ONE set of tires.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #13 of 28 Old Nov 5th, 2014, 9:46 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbaker15 View Post
Dave was saying using that tire combination....not 200k on ONE set of tires.
Oh, I see. So 200K on several sets of that combination of tires ?
post #14 of 28 Old Nov 5th, 2014, 10:52 pm

AJ

I have a manual balancer and wheel adapter, done my tires many times.
In Brentwood if you would like your tire balanced.

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else
post #15 of 28 Old Nov 6th, 2014, 9:43 am

Why worry about balancing just get the balancing beads. They work great and the tire stays balanced all the time. I am running a rear bridgestone and a front metzler. Bike handles great. Love the rear bridgestone.

09 K1200LT
05K1200LT totaled
08 GL1800 Roadsmith trike
89 GL1500 sold with 205K still going
post #16 of 28 Old Nov 9th, 2014, 7:18 am

I have been using balancing beads for about 3 years now. I have had no problems with them what so ever.
post #17 of 28 Old Nov 9th, 2014, 7:46 am

Been using Dyna Beads in 880's for 7 seasons. I like the concept of the Ride On but its expensive compared to the beads. I recycle the beads, I started with a few oz. in reserve, put them in the new tires, scoop out the old and use them in the next set, just keep recycling them. Must be at least 5 years since I bought any but I've gone thru a fair number of 880's on the LT and VTX.

04 K1200LT, 05 F650GS
post #18 of 28 Old Nov 9th, 2014, 8:45 am

95mph in the rain with the cruise on? You a thrillseeker?......
vernvernvern likes this.

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #19 of 28 Old Nov 9th, 2014, 6:35 pm

I am not seeing any comments on the 888 ?

Eric von Laue

3Cyl Kawa ( a long time ago)
450 Yamaha Seca ( maybe it was a Maxim )
1100 Honda Magna
650 Honda XR ( to Guatemala and back)
1990 Honda PC800 ( Mountain Mama )
2000 BMW 1200LT ( Maxamillion )

Keep the rubber side down
post #20 of 28 Old Nov 10th, 2014, 12:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountianMama View Post
I am not seeing any comments on the 888 ?
I agree. Can we please get back to our regularly scheduled program? We know there are other, though limited, options out there and we don't *need* the 888, but it sure would be nice if this tire at least fit it's intended purpose and performed up to the hype.

'15 GTLE

post #21 of 28 Old Nov 10th, 2014, 5:41 pm

HeySteve,

Put the ME888 on the LT before CCR/ Dragon and it has been a great tire thus far. Spirited ride on the Dragon and never felt them even come close to releasing. Rain up to about 80 or so, no issues. So far about 3500 miles on it. Also running Counteract beads and no issues with them either.

AJ,

Still have the BT rear with 250 miles on it if you want to swap for the ME888 if you still have it.

Chris

2002 K1200LTC Pacific -Blue moon Beemer

2007 VFR800 RWB Interceptor -current
84 Yamaha Venture Royal -departed
84 Honda 750 Interceptor- departed
76 Honda 750 four-departed
65 Pan head (gone)
72 Rickman 6 day Enduro

Too many farkles to list, if you can thinkem they maybe on it

BMWMOA # 189093
BMWBMW LOCAL CHAPTER Member
BMW MARS CHAPTER Member
BMWRA # 41568
post #22 of 28 Old Feb 12th, 2016, 8:23 pm Thread Starter

Hi,

Once again I need a rear tire (front soon too), do you still have that almost new metz that you want to give me a deal on ?

Thanks,
AJ
post #23 of 28 Old Feb 13th, 2016, 9:46 pm

You could go with the BT020 on the rear. And a Metz up front. Just use dynabeads. I was on a trip summer b4 last. I found myself in need of a tire in the middle of WV. They didn't have an adaptor for the rear wheel. All they had was dynabeads. Well. No choice, Yep. Go ahead and put em in. It's the best wearing rear tire I've ever had on this bike. I kinda like them.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #24 of 28 Old Feb 13th, 2016, 10:34 pm

Can someone tell me what dyna beads are ? I am fixing to replace my BTO20 on the front. I have the same frustrations with tires. Are we SOL for options ? I am fairly new to the Lt, is there any way to change rims and be able to use Michelin tires or are we limited due to the weight of the bike?
post #25 of 28 Old Feb 14th, 2016, 10:04 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knot-my-fault View Post
Can someone tell me what dyna beads are ? I am fixing to replace my BTO20 on the front. I have the same frustrations with tires. Are we SOL for options ? I am fairly new to the Lt, is there any way to change rims and be able to use Michelin tires or are we limited due to the weight of the bike?
Dynabeads are a product that goes inside the tire and dynamically balances it as you ride. Several people on this site swear by them. Myself, I've never used them, but I like the concept.

Since this thread was first started, I did put a Metz 888 on the rear and rode on it all last year. Still has good tread life left and this season will be the real test as I have trips planned to both coasts, including CCR in Monterey, CA and Ashville, NC to build a house with Habitat for Humanity and Thrivent Financial.

'15 GTLE

post #26 of 28 Old Feb 14th, 2016, 5:32 pm

What and when is CCR, I am in Northern Cali, very date dependant, as I will be OOS getting a Knee replacement next week.
post #27 of 28 Old Feb 20th, 2016, 9:20 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knot-my-fault View Post
What and when is CCR, I am in Northern Cali, very date dependant, as I will be OOS getting a Knee replacement next week.
CCR is the Curve Cowboy Reunion, a rally for the LT crowd. This year, it is in the Monterrey, Ca. area the week before Labor Day.
Check out the CCR section of this site. You asked this question in a tire thread.
post #28 of 28 Old Feb 21st, 2016, 1:28 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk610lt View Post
CCR is the Curve Cowboy Reunion, a rally for the LT crowd. This year, it is in the Monterrey, Ca. area the week before Labor Day.
Check out the CCR section of this site. You asked this question in a tire thread.
CCR also welcomes RT, GT, GTL, and GS riders, and has also been known to have Goldwing, HD, and other brand riders in attendance. Non-LT riders shouldn't assume they are unwelcome, as a good time can be had by all!

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in