GS911 Pros or Cons - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old Nov 4th, 2014, 7:13 pm Thread Starter

GS911 Pros or Cons

I learned in another thread "For earlier K1200 equipped with ABSII unit (also called ABS2), faults will need to be cleared from ABS unit once cause is fixed as it stays in a static memory. This can be done either by: (1) dealers computer (2) GS911 (3) a manual method using Pin 21 on ABS connector." (from John in Montreal) I have an ABS fault indication on my 2000LT that I believe requires a simple reset. The ABS fault indication came on after a rough railroad crossing at highway speeds. In addition to the reset feature, the information provided by the GS911 appears useful. I'm leaning towards purchasing a GS911, but I'm not sure if I would utilize the GS911 enough to justify the cost. Any pros or cons from you folks that own a GS911?

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old Nov 4th, 2014, 7:23 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: GS911 Pros or Cons

If you're planning on keeping the bike, find yourself a used one and go for it. Pretty useful tool. It's the BMW equivalent of an OBDII code reader. If you are mechanically inclined and like to tinker, they are well worth the money. That and if you're a BMWMOA member, it's a nice option to have if someone gives you a call for assistance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 26 Old Nov 4th, 2014, 7:39 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I bought my first one (just USB) back in 2007 direct from South Africa. Used it quite a bit on other peoples bikes. Never really needed it for my LT (05) but then they started adding functionality. Then I sold it and bought a Blue Tooth version so I could read and clear faults with my Android phone. Now I use it for the bleed test after every flush and resetting the service indicators on the GS and now GT. I guess I don't leave home without it in the pannier.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 26 Old Nov 4th, 2014, 7:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun Bobby View Post
I learned in another thread "For earlier K1200 equipped with ABSII unit (also called ABS2), faults will need to be cleared from ABS unit once cause is fixed as it stays in a static memory. This can be done either by: (1) dealers computer (2) GS911 (3) a manual method using Pin 21 on ABS connector." (from John in Montreal) I have an ABS fault indication on my 2000LT that I believe requires a simple reset. The ABS fault indication came on after a rough railroad crossing at highway speeds. In addition to the reset feature, the information provided by the GS911 appears useful. I'm leaning towards purchasing a GS911, but I'm not sure if I would utilize the GS911 enough to justify the cost. Any pros or cons from you folks that own a GS911?

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL
Rob,
If you are handy with basic electrical stuff, you might want to try the "Pin 21" reset method on the ABSII modulator here:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/...eset-long.html
Make sure to read all the thread (2 pages) as you will find good pictures on 2nd page.

About GS911: They recently came out with a 2nd generation GS911 that wll use WiFi to communicate with your PC (these device are RED). Earlier generation of GS911 like I have are Yellow and need a PC that is windows based (basic version) or can also communicate using Bluetooth for many high-end phone to display interface (a bit more expensive for Bluetooth support).

The Yellow 1st generation GS911 are a bit cheaper than recent ones and are a bit easier to find on used market. Be careful with EBAY as there are some clone copy from China that do not work well when HexCode does a software upgrade (3 to 4 times every year).

Keep in mind that GS911 will also help you (or friends) for many other BMW models and also to help make a diagnostic for certain engine and EFI problem (like Oxygen-Sensor).
See their web site for pricing and infos: The Home of GS-911 ? HEX Code

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."
post #5 of 26 Old Nov 4th, 2014, 7:56 pm

Garage

I would recommend buying new. Be sure not to get the cheap Chinese knock off.
You don't need one for one bike. But if you have friends, or ride with others, or ride where others are, it can be one good item.
I have used mine on many bikes. Some my own.
dc

2008 R1200 RT
post #6 of 26 Old Nov 5th, 2014, 7:54 am

Does the newest "red" GS911 work with older BMW's?

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #7 of 26 Old Nov 5th, 2014, 8:01 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrevelino View Post
YES it does. According to the 1st paragraph of their "Products" web page, it does everything the older version (yellow) did, PLUS the Wifi, PLUS the newer protocol of recent bikes (K1600 and all R1200 water cooled). See this page (1st paragraph): products ? HEX Code

John (Montreal, CANADA)
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."

Last edited by sailor; Nov 5th, 2014 at 8:51 am.
post #8 of 26 Old Nov 5th, 2014, 8:44 am

Quote:
Yes it does, works on my 2006 K1200LT and with the new software update my 2014 R1200RTW.

Bill Dowdy
2014 RT
2006 LT
2000 HD Ultra Classic
post #9 of 26 Old Nov 5th, 2014, 8:58 am

Thanks Bill and John. I thought that BMW changed the pins on the connector so that a new GS911 was needed.
If the pin-outs (connector) is the same, I do not see why the older "yellow" GS911 units cannot be "flashed" (firmware update) to work with the new bikes.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT

post #10 of 26 Old Nov 5th, 2014, 9:55 am

Keep in mind if you buy use, that if the unit is an enthusiast model it will only allow 10 different V.I.N. numbers to ever be used by it. Once those ten are used up it wont allow you to add anymore. If you buy it new at least you know you start out with the full ten. Keep this in mind also if you have a bunch of friends with BMW bikes or want to help a stranded BMW bike on the side of the road. 10 V.I.N. is all you get.

If it's the professional model, then you are free to use it on as many BMW bikes as you like, but expect to pay about $200.00-$250.00 more compared to the enthusiast models.

I have a GS911 enthusiast USB model. It is a nice tool to have and works great on my R1150RT and K1200LT.

Current Bikes

2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2013 Suzuki Burgman 650, Ya it's a scooter but it will do over 100 MPH
2005 BMW K1200LT
2004 BMW R1150RT
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
post #11 of 26 Old Nov 5th, 2014, 10:17 am Thread Starter

Is the basic GS911 enthusiast USB model fine for the individual that doesn't anticipate exceeding 10 VINs, or is the Blue Tooth / WiFi features of the newer GS911s worth the additional money?

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL
post #12 of 26 Old Nov 5th, 2014, 10:28 am

Quote:
Thanks Bill and John. I thought that BMW changed the pins on the connector so that a new GS911 was needed.
If the pin-outs (connector) is the same, I do not see why the older "yellow" GS911 units cannot be "flashed" (firmware update) to work with the new bikes.
You would have to ask the folks at HexCode (GS911 creators). They have a nice forum for such questions. My assumptions are either one or many of these reasons:
(1) Suggestion / complaint on improvements to support other method of connection like Wifi (than USB) and also to support Apple in future.

(2) On newer K1600 (and R1200) BMW may have used some of the unused pins from that 10 pins connectors. Not all pins were used in the past interface by BMW, so Yellow GS911 does not have them all.

I suspect all that that stuff could not be achieved with old hardware / firmware of GS911.

John (Montreal, CANADA)
post #13 of 26 Old Nov 5th, 2014, 5:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by azccj View Post
Keep in mind if you buy use, that if the unit is an enthusiast model it will only allow 10 different V.I.N. numbers to ever be used by it. Once those ten are used up it wont allow you to add anymore. If you buy it new at least you know you start out with the full ten. Keep this in mind also if you have a bunch of friends with BMW bikes or want to help a stranded BMW bike on the side of the road. 10 V.I.N. is all you get.

If it's the professional model, then you are free to use it on as many BMW bikes as you like, but expect to pay about $200.00-$250.00 more compared to the enthusiast models.

I have a GS911 enthusiast USB model. It is a nice tool to have and works great on my R1150RT and K1200LT.
If I'm not mistaken, when the ownership of the GS-911 is transferred and then subsequently re-registered with HexCode, the VIN count begins anew for the new owner. After all, the GS-911 is only an interface between the actual computer / smart phone program that you're using and the motorcycle, and has no memory of its own. The various VINs are scored against the 911 in the registry at HexCode and subsequently stored in you computer / smart phone / device and scored against your account with them.

I'm the 3rd owner of my GS-911 and when I registered it with HexCode there were no VINs registered against the unit.
post #14 of 26 Old Nov 5th, 2014, 6:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jusbill1 View Post
If I'm not mistaken, when the ownership of the GS-911 is transferred and then subsequently re-registered with HexCode, the VIN count begins anew for the new owner. After all, the GS-911 is only an interface between the actual computer / smart phone program that you're using and the motorcycle, and has no memory of its own. The various VINs are scored against the 911 in the registry at HexCode and subsequently stored in you computer / smart phone / device and scored against your account with them.

I'm the 3rd owner of my GS-911 and when I registered it with HexCode there were no VINs registered against the unit.
That is not my understanding how it works. But I have never asked Hexcode about this so it is possible I could be wrong. I have sent them a message to find out the answer. When they reply, I'll post the answer here.

Current Bikes

2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2013 Suzuki Burgman 650, Ya it's a scooter but it will do over 100 MPH
2005 BMW K1200LT
2004 BMW R1150RT
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
post #15 of 26 Old Nov 5th, 2014, 6:31 pm

Mea culpa, mea culpa.

You are correct sir. Just got off the phone with Ted Porter and he confirms that the VINs cannot be removed.

Wonder why mine didn't have any scored against it, as I am the 3rd owner? Must have just been used on older bikes with ECUs that could not produce the VIN, i.e., MA2 series ECUs and older.

Thanks for setting me straight.

Bill Edwards
post #16 of 26 Old Nov 5th, 2014, 7:22 pm
Lifetime Supporter

The previous owners may have not ever used it for service.
If you only use it to read and clear codes etc. (emergency functions) no VIN is required.
post #17 of 26 Old Nov 5th, 2014, 7:30 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff8stuff View Post
The previous owners may have not ever used it for service.
If you only use it to read and clear codes etc. (emergency functions) no VIN is required.
Correct. The only time it stores a VIN is when you reset a service interval counter on the bike (most older bikes did not have one). Even though it is stored on the 911 unit, it disregards that count when used with the upgraded professional software that allows unlimited VINs.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #18 of 26 Old Nov 7th, 2014, 6:26 am

Garage

Does the computer need to be near the bike? I don't have a laptop as my home computer is pretty far from my garage.
post #19 of 26 Old Nov 7th, 2014, 7:09 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by reg26 View Post
Does the computer need to be near the bike? I don't have a laptop as my home computer is pretty far from my garage.
For the most recent Wifi version (RED), you only need to be able to reach an access point signal (Wifi device / router). Distance depends on signal strength of Wifi router/device and buiding contruction. Check their web site for various options that would be compatible with your home Wifi setup. If you are not a techie, you may want to show this page to your favorite techie: gs-911wifi-setup ? HEX Code

With the previous version (YELLOW), you need either a USB cable -OR- a bluetooth device/phone nearby for wireless. However, my understanding is that certain features/options of this Yellow GS911 will work only when plugged in (USB cable). The most common version implemented in the PC industry is "USB 2.0" and the cable length limit in such case is 16 feet (5 meters).

John (Montreal, CANADA)

Last edited by sailor; Nov 7th, 2014 at 8:09 am.
post #20 of 26 Old Nov 7th, 2014, 9:39 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
From the Hexcode website. "GS-911wifi - is compatible with the GS-911 Windows PC software for Windows XP and Vista (32 & 64bit), Windows 7 (32 & 64bit) and Windows 8 (32 & 64bit). It can also connect to ANY device with a browser and wifi to deliver Emergency Functionality (ECU information, reading & clearing of Fault Codes, Engine real-time (live) data) - typically Android, iPads, iPhones, Windows Phone 7 & 8 etc..."

Basically, you press a button on the GS911wifi, and put it in server mode. But you do need a device such as a smartphone, tablet, or laptop.

Motor On ,/'

post #21 of 26 Old Nov 7th, 2014, 9:45 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I picked up a MS notebook pretty cheap that is now dedicated to the GS911. I'm a Mac user, so I had no other choice.

HTH,
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #22 of 26 Old Nov 7th, 2014, 12:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jers99lt View Post
I picked up a MS notebook pretty cheap that is now dedicated to the GS911. I'm a Mac user, so I had no other choice.
Jer
Can I ask what model notebook you picked up? I am looking for something to run the GS911 software and Garmin Basecamp.

Over the holiday's I will be getting my wife the new iPad Air 2, and will be getting her older iPad, but that does no good with the GS911 or with Basecamp.

I currently have a Acer 532h-2588 and loaded Windows 8 on it. It boots fast but due to its limited screen pixels, does not run any Win 8 apps, it will default into desktop mode (if that makes sense!).

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT

post #23 of 26 Old Nov 7th, 2014, 12:22 pm

Quote:
Can I ask what model notebook you picked up? I am looking for something to run the GS911 software and Garmin Basecamp.

Over the holiday's I will be getting my wife the new iPad Air 2, and will be getting her older iPad, but that does no good with the GS911 or with Basecamp.

I currently have a Acer 532h-2588 and loaded Windows 8 on it. It boots fast but due to its limited screen pixels, does not run any Win 8 apps, it will default into desktop mode (if that makes sense!).
if you use the gs-911 wifi app for windows pc with any pc, when the app is opened it opens your browser in the desktop mode. Your pc will not stay in the windows app mode, if that makes sense. I use a Dell Venture Pro notebook with windows 8.1 and a touch screen.

Bill Dowdy
2014 RT
2006 LT
2000 HD Ultra Classic
post #24 of 26 Old Nov 7th, 2014, 12:39 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:

I really couldn't tell you right now (I'm not home and will be riding in MI over the next 4-days), but it's probably 4-5 years old and has never had a software upgrade. I'm not much of a MS/Windows user, so not much time has been spent on the machine. Which is a good thing that the GS911 doesn't see much action, either! I would think any Windows device will work for you. I think Bill (above) has a good solution.

Have fun,
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #25 of 26 Old Nov 7th, 2014, 5:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jusbill1 View Post

1jusbill1, Did you have to pay Hexcode for any software updates when you registered your used gs911?
post #26 of 26 Old Nov 7th, 2014, 6:30 pm

No, I didn't. It's been quite some time since I registered the unit, but If memory serves, I just went to the website, entered some identity information, entered some data from the device itself (IIRC), and I was off and running. Real easy to do, and didn't cost me anything.

Bill Edwards

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in