Delayed Power to Headset and Detector - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Oct 14th, 2005, 8:37 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs down Delayed Power to Headset and Detector

For the past 2 days, I've noticed that when I start the engine there is no power to my radar detector and there is no sound in my headset even though the radio comes on right away and I can hear sound through the external speakers. I have not noticed any other parts of the bike missing power (yet).

After 10 or 20 seconds or perhaps after hitting a bump, power suddenly comes on to the detector and sound comes through the headset. No further problem until I power off. I tested this evening when I got home and same problem happens if I immediately turn the engine back on after having just turned if off.

I don't remember where I pick up power for the detector but I guess that I will have to open a little plastic and check it out. I fiddled the headset/external speaker button on my com system 3 but to no avail. The bike is a 99.

Any ideas on what could be causing this?

Regards...Barry

99 K1200LT LTC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Oct 14th, 2005, 8:46 pm
Enthusiast - KI6CDF

My bet is that its a relay that is slow to "pick". I'm interested to hear what others say.

Tom Becker
Rancho Mirage, CA 92270

2003 Titan Silver LTE "Cantabile"
2001 Black R 1150 GS

BMWMOA
AMA
IBA (SS1000, B2B-36)

KI6CDF
post #3 of 9 Old Oct 15th, 2005, 12:25 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_Becker
My bet is that its a relay that is slow to "pick". I'm interested to hear what others say.
Possible -- Another possibility: IIRC, Ralph Gray had a bunch of corrosion "grow" in his Valentine One power supply connections under the rider seat which gave him flaky power to the V1 for a while. Cured by replacement, as I recall.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA

post #4 of 9 Old Oct 15th, 2005, 5:35 am

Realy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canabarry
I don't remember where I pick up power for the detector but I guess that I will have to open a little plastic and check it out. I fiddled the headset/external speaker button on my com system 3 but to no avail. The bike is a 99.

Any ideas on what could be causing this?

Yeah. This relay was bad on my bike. I had to actually tap it to get it to pick up until the new ones arrived. Its in the comm system's power harness that's located under the seat.

Ordered the relays through these guys. You can find the part number on the relay.

Ride On!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Goodyear, AZ
"Yeah but its a warm heat!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'13 SILVA K1600GTL
post #5 of 9 Old Oct 15th, 2005, 9:58 am Thread Starter

Smile You Nailed It

Thanks Harry. A little tap on that relay brings my power on instantly. I will order the replacement part 0332011007 as you suggested.

Much appreciated.

Regards...Barry

99 K1200LT LTC
post #6 of 9 Old Oct 15th, 2005, 4:29 pm

I just have to comment. It never ceases to amaze me the wealth of knowledge on this site. From the trivial and insignificant to mission critical stuff. What a great site!

Adversity builds character.

BMW MOA #: 115771
My rides: '01 K1200LT Black (of course)
'00 BMW 540i (also black)
'76 Toyota Landcruiser FJ40 (not black)
'06 Toyota Landcruiser (black again)
post #7 of 9 Old Oct 15th, 2005, 5:05 pm
Old Dawg

Funny you mention that problem because I dropped mine off (still under warranty) for just about the same thing. No comm system, headlights, blinkers, dash lights or flashers. It was taking about 20 to 30 seconds on my bike also but then got to where it would take up to five minutes unless I hit the horn, then remarkably everything would come on.
I will let you know what the dealer says about mine.

Scott
Sacramento CA
HDDC Posse

''03 Ducati ST4S with ABS - '12 KTM 500EXC - '19 BMW GS/A
(Jessica Focker's) '15 BMW S1000RR - '17 KTM 350EXC-F - '09 Yamaha XT250

Some of the most asinine things people do are typically preceded by the two words "Watch this."
post #8 of 9 Old Oct 15th, 2005, 8:48 pm

You can buy relays functionally equivalent at any auto parts store. Very common, and very inexpensive.

Don Ferrario
2004 K1200LT
2002 ST1100A

post #9 of 9 Old Oct 15th, 2005, 10:20 pm

But Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarSalesman
You can buy relays functionally equivalent at any auto parts store. Very common, and very inexpensive.
I considered this route, briefly. Are you suggesting a generic relay and then adapting it to the power harness? Seems like a lot of extra work and the part replacement is a mere $2.80. Do you know of an exact (male) replacement available @ AutoZone, CheckerAuto, etc.?

Ride On!

Goodyear, AZ
"Yeah but its a warm heat!"

'13 SILVA K1600GTL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in