Towing - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Nov 1st, 2014, 7:23 pm Thread Starter

Towing

I was curious as to what you guys use for towing in the event of a break down. I was stranded last week without a back up plan, I was able to rent a U-haul to get me and my LT home but I am thinking of AAA towing. Thanks, Ed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Nov 1st, 2014, 7:35 pm

Re: Towing

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmann View Post
I was curious as to what you guys use for towing in the event of a break down. I was stranded last week without a back up plan, I was able to rent a U-haul to get me and my LT home but I am thinking of AAA towing. Thanks, Ed
Well during my recent episode near the NM border on my way back to Florida I used AAA towing. You have to get the "extra" motorcycle tow coverage and it will ONLY cover the first 100 miles. Generally if you don't have the motorcycle coverage they will pay for the hook up fee and the first 5 miles only on a scoot. Caveat: This can vary state to state by club I was told!

That being said...... After I got a new rear tire put on in NM my ABS and Center stand were MIA Guess something got cut during the tow. I was short on time so I shipped my scoot home via Allied Van lines. I did look at the Uhaul/trailer/Penske but the most cost effective solution was ship the scoot and rent a car......Still waiting for my K1200LT to be delivered but for the cost I won't complain. Got the R1200RTP I bought on my trip to Cali wednesday and it came from farther away!

Good luck

Tom
post #3 of 6 Old Nov 1st, 2014, 7:53 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Bottom line is anything is better then nothing... BUT you really need to know what is covered & for how long. Miles , dollar amount, how many time it can be used in a time period ( some only cover 1 tow per month or even year)

I tow motorcycles for a living & work with most of the big roadside companies.
From my experience Good Sam RV is the best for the money.

Click Here for a few threads on this subject.

Stevie Shreeve

post #4 of 6 Old Nov 1st, 2014, 8:26 pm

Be a bit careful about AAA - they cover you in some states but not all. For example, I was covered in NY but not in MA (MA AAA won't tow or cover motorcycles).

After a bunch of digging I ended up joining the AMA and will use their nationwide towing if need be.

BMWMOA member

Current rides:
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic BMW K1200LT
2002 Pearl Orange Honda VTX1800 Retro

Prior rides:
Suzuki GS425E (Australia)
Suzuki T250R (Australia)
post #5 of 6 Old Nov 2nd, 2014, 1:45 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I have Good Sam and they picked me up in Tuba City and took me to Flagstaff Az. 80 miles no problem. Also Barstow to Riverside BMW dealer no charge. Great coverage. Jim
post #6 of 6 Old Nov 2nd, 2014, 4:29 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowie View Post
Be a bit careful about AAA - they cover you in some states but not all. For example, I was covered in NY but not in MA (MA AAA won't tow or cover motorcycles).

After a bunch of digging I ended up joining the AMA and will use their nationwide towing if need be.
Be careful as every time I've towed for an AMA customer there was a 35 mile limit. The customers had to pay for all miles after the first 35. One time the tow was about 70 miles so the extra miles cost about $85.00.

Stevie Shreeve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in