The skip-o-matic 6 disc changer ... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 10:36 am Thread Starter

Unhappy The skip-o-matic 6 disc changer ...

Anyone else have this problem ? This darn thing skips over cracks in the pavement.

I know I've read a couple threads where people complained about the CD changer ...

The stingray player ? .. Forget it. That thing is a useless POS.

It amazes me with todays technologies ... I had players 10 years ago that you could run straight down train tracks with and they wouldn't skip.

I checked to see if mine was loose at all ... it's solidly padded in a case that holds the changer.

Any suggestions besides ripping it out and smashing it to pieces on my driveway?

Last edited by Petre; Jul 17th, 2006 at 10:42 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 11:13 am

I had moved to using solely an iPod about 2 years ago...but for the first 2-1/2 years, I used nothing but my 6-disc changer. In all of that time, it might have skipped once or twice. I have to believe that yours it TOO tight, if anything. I vaguely recall a screw, or a set of screws that would loosen the unit if it was too tight, or skipped too much. Hopefully, someone will chime in soon.
post #3 of 17 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 11:36 am

Petre,

I don't know what year LT you've got, but some of the earlier years had incorrectly sized screws holding the changer together. If they are too long, they don't work properly and can cause excessive skipping. There is also a 'setup' screw on the unit that is marked for vertical (car) or horizontal (bike) installation. These have been known to be incorrectly installed. These procedures are in the Hall of Wisdom Troubleshooting - Radio and Optional extras section.

What else I found:

1. Clean the unit with an inexpensive CD cleaner disc regularly. The LT environment is not as dust free as an automobile. This is especially true on the stingray unit.
2. Check your suspension settings and wear. My skipping went to almost 0 when I replaced the stock shocks and set up my suspension settings correctly.
3. As Joe said, check out an MP3 player to replace the changer. You get a sizeable amount of bag space back by removing the changer, they don't skip, and many more tunes will be available. Personally, I went to XM radio on my bike and don't miss the CDs at all.

Good Luck!

Brett

Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'!

2003 BMW K1200LTC "El Gato Grande"
1993 Suzuki GSXR1100W
1978 Suzuki GS1000C 'Project'

post #4 of 17 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 12:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petre
Anyone else have this problem ? This darn thing skips over cracks in the pavement.

I know I've read a couple threads where people complained about the CD changer ...

The stingray player ? .. Forget it. That thing is a useless POS.

It amazes me with todays technologies ... I had players 10 years ago that you could run straight down train tracks with and they wouldn't skip.

I checked to see if mine was loose at all ... it's solidly padded in a case that holds the changer.

Any suggestions besides ripping it out and smashing it to pieces on my driveway?
There have been several cases of the factory installing mounting screws that are too long. Pull out the changer and then the screws holding the brackets to the side of the changer. It is stamped right into the case that the max. screw length is supposed to be 4MM, if I remember correctly. Many were installed with 10MM long screws. If the screws are longer than 4MM, get shorter ones and your problem will go away. Mine was one that had the problem, after replacing the 4 screws it took a really hard hit to make it skip at all.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #5 of 17 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 12:41 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions guys ... will look into all suggestions and report back.

Mine is installed in a box that has padding that the changer is slipped into. Not sure what the fastening method is. It looks factory.

The bike is a 2002 with 23,000 miles on it. The head unit is BRAND NEW ... replaced because the casstte unit had the bad amp. Got the CD unit in it's place. Which they would have put another cassette unit in as that CD unit is useless and I can't put a cassette adapter in anymore that will allow me to plug in my Ipod.

On the new units , where the heck is the AUX plug ?
post #6 of 17 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 12:53 pm

Quote:
---------Mine is installed in a box that has padding that the changer is slipped into. Not sure what the fastening method is. It looks factory.
--------------- ?
You have to remove the housing that the foam is in, then remove the CD changer itself. There are two brackets fastened to the sides of the changer that just sit in the foam. The screws holding these brackets to the side of the changer are the likely culprits. Also, as someone else posted, be sure the position selector is set on "H", and not "V".

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #7 of 17 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 1:22 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
You have to remove the housing that the foam is in, then remove the CD changer itself. There are two brackets fastened to the sides of the changer that just sit in the foam. The screws holding these brackets to the side of the changer are the likely culprits. Also, as someone else posted, be sure the position selector is set on "H", and not "V".
Thanks ... will do !
post #8 of 17 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 9:37 pm

I recently removed the four screws holding brackets on the end of the player inside the foam. There is a detailed link in hall of wisdom someone has posted,

The factory were as stated too long, replaced with the 4mm, and it is vastly improved. Rode almost 500 miles last sunday (including Deal's gap), and it might have skipped twice.

Only takes about ten minutes to fix.

Chris

Hiddenite NC

'99 LTi Champagne

GTHC
post #9 of 17 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 9:42 pm

Mine is 2002 as well....skipped on EVERY CD on EVERY crack in the road...heck, I think it even skipped in a gust of wind.

The screws were correct as well as the "H/V" selection.....I pulled it and went the I-Pod route....VERY happy I did.

Mike
post #10 of 17 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 10:01 pm

cd skip

If you remove the side brakets you will see an adjustable pin that can be moved along a continuum from top to bottom. It looks like moving the pin moves the internals of the CD player from top to bottom. Mine was adjusted so that the internals were very close to the bottom of the CD case and, eveytime I hit a small bump, the impact caused a skip. I slid it to the top and again, got skipping. When I moved it to the middle of the adjustment range, it worked well and only skips if I hit a hard bump. It seems that the player must be positioned with as much space as possible above and below the casing. Lou
post #11 of 17 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 11:51 pm

I had the same problem... skipped all the time. So I took to my closest dealer while it was still under warranty. They told me they replaced the CD changer under warranty. But no change in the skipping.

After several bad experiences with my closest dealer, I took the bike to another dealer. Turns out, there was never any of the warranty work the nearby dealer performed claimed under warranty with BMW, so I now believe that almost everything that I was told at my nearest dealer was a lie.

The second dealer replaced the CD player... hasn't skipped once since! No more skip-o-matic for me!

Just for the record, I think BMW has a terrible dealer base (there is a few exceptions). I had much more respect for the BMW name BEFORE I purchased a BMW.
post #12 of 17 Old Jul 18th, 2006, 6:12 am

skippy

Greetings all.

Sorry to butt in Pete, but a person wrote above how much of an improvement it is to replace our problematic cd changer/players with MP3 systems. Can someone point me in the right direction to splice these tiny units into the existing system of a '99 LT?

Kindest regards
Paul Harrington
Australia
[email protected]

1999 K1200LT Champagne "Bismarck"
1983 base K100 "Bavarian Belle"
post #13 of 17 Old Jul 18th, 2006, 9:58 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan2703
Mine is 2002 as well....skipped on EVERY CD on EVERY crack in the road...heck, I think it even skipped in a gust of wind.

The screws were correct as well as the "H/V" selection.....I pulled it and went the I-Pod route....VERY happy I did.

Mike
Mine is set up correctly

SO ... The Unit basically just SUCKS or is bad.
post #14 of 17 Old Jul 18th, 2006, 10:01 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by louatlvc
If you remove the side brakets you will see an adjustable pin that can be moved along a continuum from top to bottom. It looks like moving the pin moves the internals of the CD player from top to bottom. Mine was adjusted so that the internals were very close to the bottom of the CD case and, eveytime I hit a small bump, the impact caused a skip. I slid it to the top and again, got skipping. When I moved it to the middle of the adjustment range, it worked well and only skips if I hit a hard bump. It seems that the player must be positioned with as much space as possible above and below the casing. Lou
Mine is set up in the H position ... will try the midway position.
post #15 of 17 Old Jul 18th, 2006, 7:09 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Petre
I have a 2000 LT w/6 dics changer had same problem i did evey thing that I could put in shorter screws,changed fom padding,changed out magazine.BUT nothing helped,so i pulled it out and installed Sirius sat.easy install and more room in right side case now

Stevie Shreeve
post #16 of 17 Old Jul 19th, 2006, 3:29 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
On the new units, where the heck is the AUX plug ?
There is an Aux socket at the back of the radio, but not a normal external audio input like you might expect. You can buy a cable to adapt this socket to a standard 3.5mm stereo plug, but you have to remove the entire radio to do so. Look through the iPod/MP3 forum to get details.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #17 of 17 Old Jul 19th, 2006, 3:32 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrowbmw
Can someone point me in the right direction to splice these tiny units into the existing system of a '99 LT?
Your options are a wireless FM transmitter, a wired-in FM transmitter, a cassette adapter, or using an Ice>Link or Blitzsafe CD changer adapter box. Look through the iPod/MP3 forum to get details.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in