Best riding body position ??? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 8:00 am Thread Starter

Question Best riding body position ???

Hey all,

I may be stupid but here's my situation :

I first ride an 125cc Honda Shadow, then a 1100 Honda Shadow Aero, a BMW 1100RT and now the K12LT since last december

I don't have car license and drive motorcycles daily for about 8 years now, but after 60k+ miles, I'm always pissed off with BACK problems. Not really Back problems indeed it's more like if I can't find the ideal position to place my body on the bike... It happens on every bike I used to drove.

I tried several methods : Resting my back by putting a little more pressure on the feet, Riding with my back as straight as it can be, Riding with my chest slighty tilt forward with arm resting my chest... Aside of riding with back real straight, nothing's really helpfull.

Does anybody feels like this ?

BMW K1200LT '06 - SUZUKI V-STROM 650 '07
BMW K1200LT '99 (sold) - BMW R1150GS '02 (sold) - YAMAHA Roadliner '06 (sold) - BMW K1200LT '99 (sold) - BMW R1100RT (sold) - HONDA Shadow Aero (sold) - HONDA Shadow 125 (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 8:12 am

Yep. I've found that a backrest helps. You also might want to try a sheepskin cover or an AirHawk. Or, a custom seat.

But, to me, the most comfortable position is slightly leaned over, which is hard to do on an LT. What I've found with my other bike (which is the more leaned over position) is that I actually have MORE seating position options. I can lean forward for a while, then sit back in a more upright position, sit kinda of sideways with one knee kicked out drawing air into my body. Just can't seem to do that on the LT.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 8:19 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsdad
I've found that a backrest helps.
I had one on my Aero and it seems I'm pretty much a "must not have" guy. I've found that it gets my back more and more lazy...

BMW K1200LT '99 (sold) - BMW R1150GS '02 (sold) - YAMAHA Roadliner '06 (sold) - BMW K1200LT '99 (sold) - BMW R1100RT (sold) - HONDA Shadow Aero (sold) - HONDA Shadow 125 (sold)

post #4 of 12 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 12:25 pm

I ride straight up 95%+ of the time, so do virtually all motorcops that last more than a year.
Any other way your back takes a beating, if your back is already beat from other things then items like backrest may help.
Think of it in terms of mechanics, your backbone and muscles either have an advantage or disadvantage. Structurally the bones will support you over a longer time with less fatique, than the muscles. However the stabilizer muscles need to be trained to hold you in that position.
Rock
post #5 of 12 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 7:07 pm

I ride straight up, have to, had 4 discs fused. I found out that a 'double' gel pad helps relieve a little stress on the back (butt busters). I do not use a back rest.
~Huggs~
post #6 of 12 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 7:36 pm

I find the forward lean position the most comfortable and easiest on the back for the 12 hour day trips. The only way I can replicate that position on the LT is use the passenger pegs. That gives me the right tilt to take the pressure off the small of my back and help keep my spine aligned. Unfortunately, that isn't the safest position since I have to move my feet to get to controls, but on long stretches where I'm not fighting through traffic, it doesn't seem like that big of risk.

Joel
'02 K1200LTC
"Mauve Mile-Eater"
post #7 of 12 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 7:56 pm
Gold Supporter

Gotta go with Uncle Rock on this one. After working motors for years this is the only position that will protect your back and support your weight. I use a backrest when I throw my legs out to the J-pegs but that is just for a change of position on the highway during a long run. In town though it is straight up.

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #8 of 12 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 7:59 pm

Back tenderness

Greetings Frenchy.

I found something similar to what you're describing when I purchased my LT after riding my faithful old "83 K100. The old K100 riding position puts a lovely slight curve in your spine, much better at absorbing bumps than the much upright spine position the LT tends to put you in. Both my wife and I noticed this when we first leapt onto the LT. I find myself now when I ride the LT, I tend to change and wriggle around in the saddle quite a bit and eventually tend to attempt to ride with a slight curve in my back to assist in bump absorbtion.
Put some miles on your LT and try a few positions and you'll get your head or rather your back into it. What Tarheel wrote above is good advice too.

Time will tell, see how you go. Perhaps a kidney belt my be of some help to you.

Kindest regards
Paul Harrington
Australia
[email protected]

1999 K1200LT Champagne "Bismarck"
1983 base K100 "Bavarian Belle"
post #9 of 12 Old Jul 18th, 2006, 2:26 am

I've rode on the back seat leaning forward feet on back pegs. On the back seat not leaning over back against the back rest hands folded (not sugested). Front seat feet on jpegs, feet on back pegs, feet just dangling (also not sugested). But mostly I sit up. Sometimes I lean forward and rest my wrists on the grips. When I put on Illium foot boards and set the seat in the up postion I thought this feels right. The Illium foot boards sit lower and more forward. However they tend to drag in corners if you get a little aggresive.
post #10 of 12 Old Jul 18th, 2006, 5:35 am Thread Starter

Thanks Guys for the answers

I'll look to the Backrest and/or lowered footpeg solution I guess (I'm 1,75m tall - that's 5.7" I guess)

I'll be trying to straight up that damn back a little + I'll seek some body training too to muscle it.

Straight up back improves rideability for sure and it improves shocks absorption too, but for now, it still hurts a little. Things will be better for sure...

Thanks

post #11 of 12 Old Jul 18th, 2006, 9:41 am
NM99K12LT

Thumbs up Highly recommend using a Back-A-Line support belt

I have used a BAL support belt for about 4 years and have had no lower back pain when riding since using it. I bought it from CycleGadgets.com for about $40. It's a good cheap solution, but I still lust for a custom seat and Highway Ottomans.
post #12 of 12 Old Jul 19th, 2006, 3:42 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel_rider
Unfortunately, that isn't the safest position since I have to move my feet to get to controls, but on long stretches where I'm not fighting through traffic, it doesn't seem like that big of risk.
Remember that you have pretty much full braking control from the hand lever alone on your '02. it's one of the advantages of the Integral brakes. That doesn't help with sudden downshifts, but it is something to consider.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in