No brake pad wear . . . - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 12:01 am Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Cool No brake pad wear . . .

Have 21,000 miles on an '02 - yea I know not a high mileage rig. I drive everyday to work in traffic and on highways. Replaced the rear brake pads (about 1/3 pad left) but the fronts only have worn only .030" from original specs . . . didn't expect that!!

Dan Finazzo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 1:46 am

Hey, s'long as she's stop'n for ya - take your blessings where ya can.

I put the EBC pads on my rear about a year ago - less than 10K on 'em and they're down to the metal. Thankfully I kept the OEM pads - they got some life left in 'em.

And yea - the squeel is back - in spades.

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #3 of 14 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 4:49 am

I always thought that I used my front brake more than the rear brake. My rear pads last between 10k and 15k, while my front pads lasted close to 60k.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #4 of 14 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 9:06 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrevelino
I always thought that I used my front brake more than the rear brake. My rear pads last between 10k and 15k, while my front pads lasted close to 60k.
I too use the front brake LEVER more than the pedal, but thanks to linked brakes we always use both brakes. Must be the dual fronts v. the single rear that causes faster wear in the back.
post #5 of 14 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 11:50 am

Opposite trend

'02 LT, 37K miles - at a tire change, service tech said I needed new front pads soon, but rear pads are still OK. Go figger.

This is the first time the LT has needed brake pads. Put new BMW front pads on. Easy to do yourself - "BMW" front calipers came off easier than the Brembo calipers on my old '99 LT.

The torque spec for the newer "BMW" calipers is different than the older Brembo calipers - it's lower. I over-torqued mine, and may need Heli-coils at the next front brake pad change. Beware!

- Bob

Cowboy Bob Menton

Greenville SC USA
'07 K1200GT, '83 R80S (nee '83 R80RT)
'86 Honda CH-250 scooter (original owner)
"You can never escape the FOG (Fast Old Guys)"
post #6 of 14 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 12:09 pm

I had to have my front pads changed about a year ago, at 12k, because they were worn right down. I was shown the pads and they couldn't have had more than a few hundred miles left in them. I had to change both tyres a month ago, as I couldn't get a replacement ME880 front anywhere in the UK, and asked my dealer to check the pads while they were at it as we were going on a trip. The rears are still the originals and the new fronts - with a good 8k on - had plenty left.

Perhaps the only logical explanation is that the various batches of pad aren't all that similar. It might explain the problems some folk have with squealing while I've never heard mine make any noise at all.

Keith

UK 2004 K1200LT Lux - Katie

post #7 of 14 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 12:36 pm

Replaced my rear OEM pads at 5K due to noise. At 40K, the rear EBC sintered pads were TOAST! The fronts still had 1/3 life at 45K.
post #8 of 14 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 12:58 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_menton
"BMW" front calipers came off easier than the Brembo calipers on my old '99 LT.
You do know that you can change the front pads on the Integral brakes (the ones marked BMW, not Brembo) without removing the calipers? Just pull the retaining pins and the pads slip right out the top.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #9 of 14 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 1:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
You do know that you can change the front pads on the Integral brakes (the ones marked BMW, not Brembo) without removing the calipers? Just pull the retaining pins and the pads slip right out the top.
Yep...and the rear come out of the bottom sans caliper removal.
post #10 of 14 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 2:23 pm

Thanks, Ken & Joe - I knew that the rear pads on the old Brembo calipers could be changed without removing the calipers. Now that you tell me the pads can be changed, front and rear, on the newer BMW calipers without removing the caliper, I may get away with the fact that I partially stripped the mounting screws on the front calipers. I may never have to remove them again! Thanx.

- Bob (95 deg. F in Wilkes-Barre, PA)

Cowboy Bob Menton

Greenville SC USA
post #11 of 14 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 5:15 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_menton
Thanks, Ken & Joe - I knew that the rear pads on the old Brembo calipers could be changed without removing the calipers. Now that you tell me the pads can be changed, front and rear, on the newer BMW calipers without removing the caliper, I may get away with the fact that I partially stripped the mounting screws on the front calipers. I may never have to remove them again! Thanx.

- Bob (95 deg. F in Wilkes-Barre, PA)
Unless you need a new tire

-Brian Louw
Arroyo Grande, CA.

2013 K1600GT - Light Grey Metallic
2016 R1200GSA
post #12 of 14 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 6:29 pm

Foiled again. Forgot about that. Back to the Helicoils ...

- Bob

Cowboy Bob Menton

Greenville SC USA
post #13 of 14 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 6:39 pm

Suprised

All those years of sportbikes, and pads didn't last that long - sometimes 10K on a front. Forget the rear, it almost never got used (I know...)
I was thinking about the pads on my LT, and thinking at 10K they would be gone due to all that extra weight, but I guess it doesn't eat em like the sport bikes....(I know that sportbikes have softer pads too).
post #14 of 14 Old Jul 18th, 2006, 1:08 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfinazzo
Have 21,000 miles on an '02 - yea I know not a high mileage rig. I drive everyday to work in traffic and on highways. Replaced the rear brake pads (about 1/3 pad left) but the fronts only have worn only .030" from original specs . . . didn't expect that!!
I've always gotten more life out of the front than the rear inspite of what seems to be even application of both brakes in all but special situations. Perhaps the applied pressure is between the hand lever and foot lever isn't as equal as it feels on my '99. One thing to watch for though is sticky caliper pistons. I just replaced the rear caliper when the pad wear became extreme and the rotor started to blue.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in