Shift linkage lube - it's a sinch! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Jul 16th, 2006, 11:56 pm Thread Starter

Shift linkage lube - it's a sinch!

Being slightly boored and remembering I'd not done the ball-socket lube on my shift linkage at the 12K service, I decided this afternoon to simply dive in. I've been hesitant, as I'd read several had problems with the 'ball socket wires'. Only problem I've got is one of the wires was missing.

I pulled both rods, the pivot and the shift lever itself. Cleaed all bearing surfaces, lubed with some mobil sythetic general purpose grease, re-assembled and took 'er for a test drive. I even pulled and lubed the pillion pegs. Total time, 47 minutes.

I did find the 2 balls screwed into the pivot were only 'finger tight'. Simply snugged 'em up again.

WOW!! what a diff!! I can only encourage anyone who has been hesitant to do this to "git 'er done!". MUCH smoother, easy and simple to do. I'd guess I was setting myself up for a broken linkage and didn't even know it.

Anyone got a spare retention wire? May not be 'needed', but I'd like the 'piece of mind'.

Tate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 6:07 am

I've got one, pm with your addy. You do the tranny one, too?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #3 of 15 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 9:03 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I'll have to look back but I think David S posted that these are available through McMaster Carr in a bag of 10 for the price of one from the dealer. Best part is no minimum order. I'll see if I can find the PN.

McMaster-Carr pn 9416K77 pk of 10 $2.63. OEM 0.50 each.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

Last edited by jzeiler; Jul 17th, 2006 at 9:16 am. Reason: Added Info

post #4 of 15 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 10:44 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
I've got one, pm with your addy. You do the tranny one, too?

Shore did - top ball of the tranny linkage is the one that's missing the retention wire clip pin thingy.

PM on the way! Thanks!

Tate

post #5 of 15 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 11:56 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zotter
-----------Anyone got a spare retention wire? May not be 'needed', but I'd like the 'piece of mind'.
I bought 10 of them, will gladly send you a one.

Or you can order them yourself. McMaster Carr has a package of 10 for $2.63
www.mcmaster.com
part number 9416K77

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #6 of 15 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 12:02 pm Thread Starter

Thanks John, Dave - Grif has one a come'n to cover me. But I do think it's a good idea to have a bag on hand for 'spares'. It's cheap enough insurance.

Plus, if I get the odd traveler or two through town now and then...

Mmm, may haffta get me a spare of Phil's linkage kit too...

We may not have a dealer, but I may well end up building me a depot here in Wyoming.

Tate

post #7 of 15 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 10:03 pm

Funny thing, I was comming home from a ride on Saturday and was about 5 km from home went to shift from first to second and nothing happened. Had a look and couldnt find anything just asumed I had broken a linkage and rode home in 1st gear. Embarassing the Battlestar in limp home mode. When i stripped it down I too had a loose ball on the gearbox linkage, so loose it had fallen out. Undid it, cleaned it and applied locktite and put it back. Is this a known problem or is it going to be?
post #8 of 15 Old Jul 18th, 2006, 12:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigo
Funny thing, I was comming home from a ride on Saturday and was about 5 km from home went to shift from first to second and nothing happened. Had a look and couldnt find anything just asumed I had broken a linkage and rode home in 1st gear. Embarassing the Battlestar in limp home mode. When i stripped it down I too had a loose ball on the gearbox linkage, so loose it had fallen out. Undid it, cleaned it and applied locktite and put it back. Is this a known problem or is it going to be?
Oh yeah, it's known. You did the right thing. A little loctite and snug her up. Be sure to clean and lube the ball. When the joint gets stiff the ball is more prone to loosen up.
post #9 of 15 Old Jul 18th, 2006, 9:04 am

Another Question

Quote:
Anyone got a spare retention wire? May not be 'needed', but I'd like the 'piece of mind'.
When I took mine apart I could not get the wire out without holding the ball and socket tightly together so the retainer could slide out. On assembly the joint would barely stay together. I had to clamp it in order to put the retainer in. No way the assembly would stay together long enough to shift, let alone assemble, without the retainer in. Is there something I need to look at here? Thanks.

Dan
2005 K1200LT - Ocean Blue

; Nolan 103 Helmet w/Bluetooth;
;
;
and
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Secures gear/luggage);
; Droid X (Replaces
and factory radio);
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Not installed);
(Currently unistalled),
; Clymer Manual; BMW Service DVD
post #10 of 15 Old Jul 18th, 2006, 12:04 pm Thread Starter

When I took mine all apart I only used a very small set of needle nose pliers and a rubber padded socket drive handle as a wedge.

There're two wire retention pieces to these ball joints. An external and an internal. You may not even notice the internal - but I'm wondering if folks are getting the two confused here.

The external has a straight part the goes INTO the socket part of the ball/socket joint. It wraps around the shaft and clips into the groove that's at the margin of the socket - were it transistions into the straight. To remove, you rotate that away from the shaft and pull it out (pulling parallel to the threaded rod) of the socket and then the socket can be pulled off the ball.

The internal is a 'spring ring' inside the socket. Going about %85 of the way around the internal circumference of the socket. The ball pushes past this when it's all assembled or disassembled. Think of a 'snap', like on your jeans.

On mine, that internal ring is all that's holding the upper tranny linkage ball in place - but then apparently that's all that's been holding it since I got it.

On disassembly I did use the rubber padded handle of my socket set to push the sockets off the balls of the tranny linkage - after removing the external retainers. But that was only because I couldn't get a grip on it. The ones I could reach I simply pulled off bare handed.

Re-assembly was all bare-handed. Squeezed 'em on, inserted the retention clips and rotated them into the circular part around the shaft - holding it in position. I'd think you shouldn't have to exert any more force than a strong hand shake to press the sockets on to the balls. Presses, vice-grips, etc are an indicator that something isn't right.

When I get this one clip from Grif, I'll tear it all down again and get picys. In the mean time - here's a draw up:

and yea - if I've made a bad assumption - no probs. Wouldn't be my first

Tate

post #11 of 15 Old Jul 18th, 2006, 2:23 pm

I'm thinkin' what you're thinkin' Tate. Sounds like he's missing the retainer inside the cup. The only way to get one of those is to order a replacement set of rods.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #12 of 15 Old Jul 18th, 2006, 4:22 pm

No Confusion ...

Quote:
There're two wire retention pieces to these ball joints. An external and an internal. You may not even notice the internal - but I'm wondering if folks are getting the two confused here.
Wow, great illustration and explanation. I'm familiar with both clips. I'll tear it apart again as I'm thinking of removing my peg lowering kit and readjusting the linkage again. I have to apply pressure to the joint in order to remove the pin (let's call the external clip a pin) and I did not play with the internal clip, but I did see that it was there. I'll look again and confirm what I think I'm seeing. Thanks for the help.

Dan
2005 K1200LT - Ocean Blue

; Nolan 103 Helmet w/Bluetooth;
;
;
and
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Secures gear/luggage);
; Droid X (Replaces
and factory radio);
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Not installed);
(Currently unistalled),
; Clymer Manual; BMW Service DVD
post #13 of 15 Old Jul 18th, 2006, 6:04 pm Thread Starter

Ya know Dan - I can imagine a situation where that internal clip gets knocked out of it's groove. If it got back into the socket - between the socket and the ball - well yea. That'd sure put some 'extrea' pressure on the pin (good call on the word choice!) as well as make it a real PIA to get the ball far enough into the socket to get the pin in.

Good luck with it - whatever ya find.

Tate

post #14 of 15 Old Aug 12th, 2006, 10:18 am

Question

is there a posted "step by step" direction for this?
post #15 of 15 Old Jun 20th, 2008, 2:26 pm

Re: Shift linkage lube - it's a sinch!

Quote:
Being slightly boored and remembering I'd not done the ball-socket lube on my shift linkage at the 12K service, I decided this afternoon to simply dive in. I've been hesitant, as I'd read several had problems with the 'ball socket wires'. Only problem I've got is one of the wires was missing.

I pulled both rods, the pivot and the shift lever itself. Cleaed all bearing surfaces, lubed with some mobil sythetic general purpose grease, re-assembled and took 'er for a test drive. I even pulled and lubed the pillion pegs. Total time, 47 minutes.

I did find the 2 balls screwed into the pivot were only 'finger tight'. Simply snugged 'em up again.

WOW!! what a diff!! I can only encourage anyone who has been hesitant to do this to "git 'er done!". MUCH smoother, easy and simple to do. I'd guess I was setting myself up for a broken linkage and didn't even know it.

"Anyone got a spare retention wire?" Dropped it, huh? Don't feel bad, you aren't the first.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in