Oil Leak - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Jul 16th, 2006, 11:17 pm Thread Starter

Talking Oil Leak

Well, I've just completed the cleanup and repairs on the '02 LT after successfully completing my trip to Alaska in May/June '06. Rode the LT as far north as the Arctic Circle (200mi north of Fairbanks) on the road to Prudhoe Bay. 250 of that 400 mile loop was dirt, gravel and ChipSeal and very hard on the LT. I had to have the exhaust system welded back together when I returned home and now notice I have a very, very minor engine oil leak. This did not exist prior to the Alaska trip. The oil appears to be coming from between the engine and clutch housing. If it were a car I'd suspect the rear main seal on the engine. The odd thing is it seem to leak sitting on the centerstand and not running. Main seal leaks usually are run type of leaks from the oil pressure on the rear main bearing?

What's the collective experience with rear main seal leaks? The bike currently has 56K miles. I don't even want to think about having to pull the tranny and clutch to fix that seal. At the moment it's a very minor thing. Anybody ever played with engine oil stop leak conditioners on a motorcycle???
My doomsday side wonders if the engine block could have a crack from all the shocks the bile took? I sure hope not. There is no evidence of stone damage to the oil pan area.

FYI. Alaska is Awesome on two wheels. But be warned, you will be riding in GS type conditions due to road construction and the jaunts like the one to the Arctic Circle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	088-I Made It.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	627.4 KB
ID:	5163   Click image for larger version

Name:	089-I Have Proof.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	509.7 KB
ID:	5164   Click image for larger version

Name:	038-Grizly Bear.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	5165   Click image for larger version

Name:	129-Floating McKinley.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	201.4 KB
ID:	5166  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Jul 16th, 2006, 11:52 pm

Thumbs up Amazing!

Vern,

You da man! I would never ever think about taking my LT to the arctic circle. I'm afraid I'd have to rent a GS or some other dirt bike. Congratulations on a great achievement.

Dick Wood
2014 R1200RTW Quartz Blue Metallic
Previous2008 Aventurin Silver Metallic K1200GT
Previous 2002 Toscana Green LTE
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 4:57 am

Not to post bad news to you, but I think that it is the rear main seal. Mine went out at approximately 60k. My understanding is that is is the type of rubber used. It gets hard and solidifies and will just crumple. What I do not understand is that this seal has another seal directly behind it. Attached is the parts used to repair my LT. Good luck!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Clutch_Replacement_Parts.pdf (7.6 KB, 79 views)

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #4 of 5 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 6:05 am

There is also a small O-ring used in the process that will definitely get hard and crack up. I wouldn't worry about the block.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #5 of 5 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 10:14 am

Vern,
I am in envy of your trip. Would love to see more pictures if you get them posted.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in