Top Box Removal - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Jul 16th, 2006, 8:27 pm Thread Starter

Top Box Removal

I have searched the "Hall of Wisdom" and related folders but cannot find any info on how to remove the top box. I did find articles on moving it (to make more passenger room), to replace the locking pins, etc., ... but not how to remove the box. I have a general idea of how to remove the felt liner and the mounting bolts, but I need a suggestion on how (and which) to disconnect the electrical connections, speaker wires, etc.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Bob Wood
Oceanside, CA
2000 LTI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Jul 16th, 2006, 8:55 pm

It's a Snap

Bob,

You are in luck. I removed mine a few weeks ago and, it's very easy. The electrical connectors are under the passenger seat.

Remove the rear seat and the inner liner of the top box. You need to disconnect the restraining strap that keeps the lid of the top box from falling forward when it's open. It's a good idea to have a second pair of hands to hold the lid from flopping over when you remove the restraining strap. Or, put something in front of the top box for the lid to rest on. There are tabs down in the slot where the locking lugs come out of the inner liner. They are directly behind the locking lugs - toward the rear of the bike. They can be disengaged by sliding a slim - flat - screwdriver down in the slot and prying them as you pull up on the inner liner. The front and side lips of the inner liner are held in place by Velcro - just pull up to release it, after disengaging the rear tabs.

Remove the four screws in the bottom of the box - exposed after removal of the inner liner.

When you pull the top box back, you can see the wires that run to the two connectors. The connectors are just twisted to disengage anf pull apart. It's a good idea to seal the ends of the connectors on the bike side to keep moisture and dirt out. It's been suggested to spray the inside of the connector with dielectric spray. I slipped a small desicant bag in mine and put them in zip-loc bags before pressing the connectors back in their retaining clips.

Replace the rear seat and that's it. If you are able to get a Fort Worth Rack, it finishes off the area behind the rear seat very nicely.

Good Luck

Les
post #3 of 4 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 12:33 am

I love the difference it has made in handling and i love the looks

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350

post #4 of 4 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 10:06 am

The hardest part is removing the felt liner. You need to disengage two clips and it will lift right out. If you're forcing, you ain't doing it right. Use an thin, flat tool. (butter knife?) See pic below.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in