wiring harness - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Jul 16th, 2006, 6:01 pm Thread Starter

wiring harness

Hi to all I'm new to forum. My question has any one out there ever fried their wiring harness? I have 03 LT and built a trailer to tow and wired it into the lighting system. Used wiring harness provided by hitch manufacturer. It came with one micro relay for brake lights. It all worked fine for about 200 miles then turn signals quit, turn key to on and engine would start, pull in clutch and headlight would go off. Checked fuses and panic alarm would go off. Took it to dealer and he said I smoked the wiring harness and it never blew a fuse! Wonder if any else has had any experience close to this? Dealer blamed it on me. But I'm wondering if BMW has a wiring harness problem in the 03's?
TIA Gerard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Jul 16th, 2006, 6:06 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

Are you using an isolator? Who is the manufacturer hitch? Can't help with little info you provided.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #3 of 6 Old Jul 16th, 2006, 6:10 pm

You definitely should use an isolation wiring harness on the LT. This type of harness will give you extra protection (of BMW's expensive brake components) if you happen to have a short to ground in the trailer wiring. It will also allow your trailer lights to work with the BMW braking system without any issues.

Last edited by Dean_BMW; Jul 16th, 2006 at 6:11 pm. Reason: Added info

post #4 of 6 Old Jul 16th, 2006, 9:35 pm Thread Starter

It is a Dauntles hitch. Hitch wiring came with an isolator for brake system.
post #5 of 6 Old Jul 16th, 2006, 10:12 pm

The Dauntless 4 relay isolator is an excellent product IMO. If properly installed, I don't see how you could have had a problem, but I guess things happen.
post #6 of 6 Old Jul 16th, 2006, 10:19 pm

I just tool a gander at the dauntless site. If you bought their single relay harness, you would have no isolation of any circuits except the brake light circuit. With the single relay harness, if you have a short to ground in the trailer wiring, the high current would run through the factory wiring harness for those circuits that are not isolated. With that said, the factory supplied circuit protection should have protected the wiring harness. Hopefully, you had the correct size fuses installed for those circuits.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in