Bad Valve Stem!! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Jul 16th, 2006, 5:41 pm Thread Starter
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Bad Valve Stem!!

Went for a ride out to the Hill Country here in Central Texas yesterday,I felt my rear tire going low .lucky I was closed to home .Pulled into the garage,and aired up the tire only to hear air leeking from the stem. Thinking the core had come loose somhow I went to tighten it when the whole center of the stem blew out!!! I now have a steel stim in the rim.My question is why don.t Bmw use GOOD stems on these $25000 to $35000 bikes

Stevie Shreeve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Jul 16th, 2006, 5:48 pm

Thats like asking why they don't make a comfortable seat, heavy duty clutch, no squeak brakes, ect. They don't have to. they still make one helluva bike for such a fat lady.

2Wheelroadtrip (Barney)
03 LTC
82 Aspencade
Time Out camper

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It's not where we go. It's that we go.

The information from this site and its members has proven to be invaluable again.
post #3 of 12 Old Jul 16th, 2006, 6:02 pm Thread Starter
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Talking

Well you got a piont there 2Wheel. I guess I just needed to vent a little .It always upsets me when I have to work on the ole girl before I can ride her

Stevie Shreeve

post #4 of 12 Old Jul 16th, 2006, 9:37 pm

Old news about BMW OEM valve stems....

http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/show...=&view=&sb=&o=

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
Went for a ride out to the Hill Country here in Central Texas yesterday,I felt my rear tire going low .lucky I was closed to home .Pulled into the garage,and aired up the tire only to hear air leeking from the stem. Thinking the core had come loose somhow I went to tighten it when the whole center of the stem blew out!!! I now have a steel stim in the rim.My question is why don.t Bmw use GOOD stems on these $25000 to $35000 bikes
post #5 of 12 Old Jul 16th, 2006, 10:31 pm

Yep, had the same thing happen to me at CCR Breckenridge. The whole inner core blew out and had to have it trailered back to Breck. The local dealers didn't have one in stock and had to hunt a new one down at a car dealer. I now change them every other tire change. By the way is there a new BMW out for $35,000 or is that just cause everything is bigger in Texas?

Tim Frederick
Woodbury, MN
post #6 of 12 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 11:06 am

Totally understand - the first flat I have ever had (over 7 bikes & 30 years) came 3 weeks ago. I was on a 70 mph stretch of highway going to a friends house when something just didn't "feel" right. I got off the highway and pulled into my friends driveway (lucky it was close) and could smell tire rubber. The bike would hardly turn into my friend's house (square tires don't want to turn!). I found that the bike was leaking air at the stem. Fortunately, I had just had a new centerstand (a gift from my wife for my birthday) installed at Engle's in KC. I then found out how very easy it is to remove the rear wheel and was able to go back to Engle's and have them mount a new tire and stem. I was about ready to replace the tire anyway. Just glad that it wasn't a catastrophic failure. I will have to look into replacing the stems with something better in the future. Also, I will be more careful when checking/airing the tires to not bend the stem over - I may have inadvertantly caused part of my own problem due to the difficulty of reaching the stems and the angle involved.
post #7 of 12 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 11:19 am

Quote:
Stems have a limited lifespan, and should be replaced with each tire change. If you go through 2 or 3 sets of tires per year, then at least replace them yearly.

-tom

Tom and Rosie Sperry
IBA 303, 304
Hanford, CA
post #8 of 12 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 11:47 am

Talking

Quote:
My question is why don.t Bmw use GOOD stems on these $25000 to $35000 bikes
They'd rather have you spend $800 for the new tire pressure monitoring system option.

-----------------------------------------

The word motorcycle is a verb.

2005 K1200LT "Rolf"
2007 Moto Guzzi Norge
post #9 of 12 Old Jul 20th, 2006, 4:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrosie
Stems have a limited lifespan, and should be replaced with each tire change. If you go through 2 or 3 sets of tires per year, then at least replace them yearly.

-tom
Why not just replace them with good quality steel stems and be done with it?

GB
post #10 of 12 Old Jul 20th, 2006, 4:17 pm

Quote:

steve that bike is a 2000?
have they ever been replaced before?

when changing tires always replace rubber stems
now that said do not miss a time, we have had a couple that wern't that old go bad same way,

I now have angled steel stems on my Lt WOW makes it much easier to check pressure!

here is my old thread
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...ght=valve+stem

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #11 of 12 Old Jul 20th, 2006, 4:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBarnes

GB
this is what I run now, angled they have worked great

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...ght=valve+stem

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #12 of 12 Old Jul 20th, 2006, 9:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBarnes

GB
Makes sense to me.

-tom

Tom and Rosie Sperry
IBA 303, 304
Hanford, CA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in