Safety Lighting Ghetto Mods - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Jul 16th, 2006, 5:41 pm Thread Starter

Wink Safety Lighting Ghetto Mods

This is my first time trying to upload a pic so, if it doesnt work I won't be shocked. I converted the front signals to running lights first. I have been a fan of LED's for many years so I added some to help me be more visible. The first pic is of the ones that I found for $4.00 each plus $2.00 for the chrome trim rings at a truck repair shop. I mounted the outer ones on a small bracket to the bottom of the saddle bags. These are wired in with the running lights so they are on all the time with the key on. I then installed some amber ones into the vent in the front of the mirrors. They just snapped in like they were designed to fit there. I secured them with a zip tie just to be sure they wouldn't fall out. They are wired so that they are on all the time and flash opposite of the regular signals. I then installed the Kisan tailblazer on the brake light. (thanks again Raffy) I installed some extra signal lights under the mirrors and under the trunk luggage rack. These only flash with the signals. They are what are called step lights for trucks. The rear ones are of the 5 LED design and the ones under the mirrors are the 3 LED type. $5.70 each for the 3s and $9.00 each for the 5s. My S.O. had said that the silver bike tends to hide the factory signals on the back when the light is just right. She has followed me since I installed the new lights and she said it is much better. I hope this is cheap enough to qualify for a ghetto mod.

Kissan tailblazer=priceless
6 oval LEDS = $24.00
2 chrome rings = $4.00
Front sockets = $12.00
Rear signals = $18.00
Front signals = $10.40

Total = $68.40

Don't kill me on the math
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0290.JPG
Views:	341
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	5156   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0293.JPG
Views:	279
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	5157   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0292.JPG
Views:	261
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	5158   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0297.JPG
Views:	234
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	5159   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0298.JPG
Views:	240
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	5160  

2Wheelroadtrip (Barney)
03 LTC
82 Aspencade
Time Out camper

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It's not where we go. It's that we go.

The information from this site and its members has proven to be invaluable again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 9:43 am

Well done! I like the ones in the mirrors, I should do that.. can you see that from strait on?

Adam
post #3 of 4 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 5:04 pm

Garage
Looks great! Nice Job!

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #4 of 4 Old Jul 18th, 2006, 7:42 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopos
Well done! I like the ones in the mirrors, I should do that.. can you see that from strait on?

Adam
Thanks. Yes you can see the front mirror ones from straight to 90 degrees to the side. The rear ones are visable up to 45 degrees to the side due to the angle of the LEDs in their housing

2Wheelroadtrip (Barney)
03 LTC
82 Aspencade
Time Out camper

It's not where we go. It's that we go.

The information from this site and its members has proven to be invaluable again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in