Soliciting opinions - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Jul 16th, 2006, 1:32 pm Thread Starter

Soliciting opinions

I have just crossed 90K miles on my '99 LTC. Bought it used at 21K and it's been bullet proof except for some radio problems.

This is my second LT. I totaled the 1st one at 18K miles. I'm pretty much committed to the LT because it's the best damn motorcycle ever and because my wife won't let me own anything else. I just replaced the final drive and am looking at doing the slave and clutch very soon. I've had other bikes with maintenance issues but I've never had one that cost $1500 to replace the clutch. (I'm going to have to do that one myself). The dealer wanted $2400 to replace the final drive + rotor and caliper. (did that myself and saved $1400).

So... here's my dilemma: I hate being without my ride when itís broken. I ride it every day to work and belong to 2 motorcycle clubs (day rides about every other weekend) not to mention extended riding vacations. Should I take this opportunity to offload the í99 and invest in a low mileage 2005 hoping that nothing goes catastrophically wrong for the next few miles or pick up a second high mileage Ď99-í00. If I had 2 of them I would be able to work on one while riding the other, as well as share parts if need be.

My biggest concern isÖ what kind of issues am I likely to encounter with the LT as I cross 100K and head for 200K. I donít see too many engine failures but I am concerned with the gearbox failures. Anytime I have to Ďhoistí the LT to fix it, well I will have to rent a cherry picker to do the clutch or a tranny. Most inconvenient.

Which ever path I take, Iíd like to tell you that one of the primary reasons Iím committed to the LT is because I feel that you all are at my back with info and advice via BMWLT.com. Thatís a service I have not seen in any other marque. And itís not just your vast knowledge of the mechanics of the bike, but your willingness to share that information. I attended one of eljeffeís tech days and was so impressed with the spirit of camaraderie. Many of the guys who came to the session were there to help those with problems, not to work on their own bikes.

I would value your input on this important decision.

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Jul 16th, 2006, 4:43 pm
Taz

Soliciting Opinions

Paul , I would find you a low cost 99 as a spare bike. Then I would use that bike as your pet project, new exhaust ( 11hp ) new shocks, and on and on until you make a hot rod of sorts...

We have seen LT's well over 300K with the same shocks they came with so they can last !!!!

You comment on dealer cost is most true as I just rolled over 118K on my 99LT and have left my wallet at the dealer several times. But hey they need new BMW cars etc...

good luck,
Taz
post #3 of 5 Old Jul 16th, 2006, 7:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwmac2005
--------------------------- I will have to rent a cherry picker to do the clutch or a tranny. Most inconvenient.-----------------
No need to do that. Here is how I did it.
http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/show...&Number=112870
If you dont' have a floor jack you could find a couple BIG boys to lift up on the 2X4 while you put the jack stands under it.

I also had the engine out of mine, here is how I did that (I already owned an engine hoist).
http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/show...&Number=173186

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

post #4 of 5 Old Jul 16th, 2006, 7:48 pm

PWMAC: I'm on my fourth LT. Needless to say we share the same opinion as to it being the best damn motorcycle for us! I've owned an 01,03 and two 05's. Deer totalled the first 05. Having owned both generations, I would dump the 99 and get a low mileage 05. The differences between the two generations sound minor on paper.......16 more hp, three degrees less rake on the front end, different rear suspension, vibration at 4500 gone, different cut tranny gears, etc., but they add up to a substantial difference when riding the bike. I put 103,000 miles on my 01 and 03 before my 05's so I have a base to compare it to. Just my 02.

Dick
post #5 of 5 Old Jul 19th, 2006, 9:56 pm Thread Starter

Smile

Thanks everyone for your input. Mr. Shealey, you have way more time, space, tools and patience than I. But I may give it a try. Clutch started slipping again today. I'm gonna try to get one more breakfast ride in and then start dismantling. Thanks for the jack instructions.

If I can make it into 2007 with this '99, I think I will move up to the '05. Don't really have room for 2 LT's anyway.

Wish me luck.

Later........... Pwmac

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in