I am now officially a member - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Jul 15th, 2006, 5:36 pm Thread Starter

I am now officially a member

of Droppers Anonymous.
On the first two drops I felt like a poser because I wasn't really good at it yet but last week I did an expert put-down in a service station parking lot with dozens of witnesses. While parking the bike,and travelling at app. 1 mph, I turned the wheel tight and tapped the brake ---and this was while on a good side-slope(duh). As she was going over I calmly stepped off and walked away, much to the amusement of the on-lookers who all complimented me on such a smooth maneuver. They were really impressed (but no applause) when I calmly turned around and walked her upright. They were amazed that there was no damage but I explained that BMW had built this in as an "auto-park" feature.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Jul 15th, 2006, 7:18 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

welcome aboard !!
I dropped mine in the church parking lot I was backing up on a gravel lot when my left foot found a hole and down she went likewise no damage

Stevie Shreeve
post #3 of 15 Old Jul 15th, 2006, 7:50 pm

" I explained that BMW had built this in as an "auto-park" feature."

ooooh... I like that... gotta remember that one...

It's amazing how much you learn in these forums....

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 Old Jul 15th, 2006, 8:26 pm

That's good we don't drop her we auto-park her on those little black plastic things (cushions) that BMW put on there. The last time I auto-parked her Cindy was on the back, and we both just stepped off, Cindy said is was the easiest dismount she had made the hole trip.

--Bo
2013 Magma Red R1200GSA
2012 Candy Apple Red R1200R
2007 (2006 Blue Panels) R1200GS (RIP Poteau, OK)
2006 Graphite K1200GT (sold)
2002 Titan Silver LT (sold)

Don't Panic!
Achtung! böse Eichhörnchen!
post #5 of 15 Old Jul 16th, 2006, 11:56 am

new paint job

Roy,

Glad it didn't scratch up your nice new paint job!
post #6 of 15 Old Jul 16th, 2006, 12:05 pm

Auto-Park...i LOVE IT

I'm waiting for my first "auto park" of the LT I bought a month ago.

My RT, however, was a different story, as Dick Rothermel--a frequent poster here--will attest.

I had ridden Harley Road Kings for 7 yrs, never had a bike with a center stand before. Bought the RT at Grand Rapids BMW, finished my paperwork, went out front on a perfect day, and the bike was on the centerstand.

Went out, had NO clue how to bring it down to the sidestand (no one told me that only a dumba**) would do such a thing without sitting on the thing), kicked out the sidestand, stood next to it, pushed it forward to rock it off the centerstand and then move it to the sidestand and watched in slow motion as it fell over, away from me.

crunch

Fortunately, there was a red light at the stoplight in front of the dealership and about 40 cars stopped, at least five of which honked and applauded. The dozen employees of the dealership all took advantage of the opportunity (keep in mind I had paid for it at this point) to enjoy my mistake, and Dick came around from the back and said "uh, what the hell did you do this time?"

Maybe if we work hard enough, Beemer will install an "electo-hydraulic prop stand" for the auto-park function for the 2008 LT?

cheers

Pete

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #7 of 15 Old Jul 16th, 2006, 3:56 pm

C'mon Roy, Jouko and myself want to see your bike and it's paint job in top notch condition in less than a month! Don't you go and mess it up before we've seen it and taken pics..

Welcome to the club anyway...

PS. Dick the Moderator sent me the BMW Anonymous Book already, thanks for your offer.

Regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

Pictures of various farkle projects:

post #8 of 15 Old Jul 16th, 2006, 11:05 pm Thread Starter

And now-------the rest of the story.
Just so that nobody out there gets the crazy idea that you can hold this thing up when it decides to "auto park".
The first year I owned the LT I was visiting a lady in Elmira NewYork who desperatly wanted to go for a ride (on the bike). As I was reversing in of her driveway, which consisted of rocks that can only be described as "near boulder" size, with my front wheel fully turned (duh) it started going over to the right. In an effort to save my pride I decided to hold it up. Keep in mind that my right wrist was already at a pretty good angle. When my wrist bones snapped it could be heard over the sound of the engine.That really freaked her out-----but now she tells everybody how tough I am -----she didn't know that I REALLY wanted to cry
A trip to the drug-store for a very stiff brace allowed me to ride the 3500 miles home but I can assure you that it was a very uncomfortable trip, even with cruise control.
It's far easier to "step off" and swallow your pride.
post #9 of 15 Old Jul 16th, 2006, 11:12 pm Thread Starter

It should be OK for the photo's Ari-----as long as Sturgis doesn't do it in. By the way, it looks like I am getting back from there about 6 hours before I pick you up in Calgary. Just gotta love this life .
post #10 of 15 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 6:04 am

Easy does it.

Congratulations Roy.

It's a good feeling to be a member of that not so exclusive club. I joined around 1 month ago. My only hope is that you lifted your beast up the correct way and didn't hurt yourself in any way during that clean and snatch. Those big side bumper strips sure work well hey!

Kindest regards
Paul Harrington
Australia
[email protected]

1999 K1200LT Champagne "Bismarck"
1983 base K100 "Bavarian Belle"
post #11 of 15 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 8:33 am

Congratulations

I own a '99 since last december and I'm a member too...

One morning in front of my private parking door, I put my leg on the bike, touched it with my butt a little too high so it fall just the opposite way... It happens real fast. I was on the LEFT of the bike, then over it (not touching it), then on the RIGHT side...

There's a video of someone showing how you can get the beast back to its tire... Impressive and very instructive. Bottom line is don't use your arm, it's too heavy, use your back.

BMW K1200LT '06 - SUZUKI V-STROM 650 '07
BMW K1200LT '99 (sold) - BMW R1150GS '02 (sold) - YAMAHA Roadliner '06 (sold) - BMW K1200LT '99 (sold) - BMW R1100RT (sold) - HONDA Shadow Aero (sold) - HONDA Shadow 125 (sold)
post #12 of 15 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 9:12 am

[QUOTE=Frenchy
There's a video of someone showing how you can get the beast back to its tire... Impressive and very instructive. Bottom line is don't use your arm, it's too heavy, use your back.[/QUOTE]

Please re-read previous threads about picking the beast up. DO NOT use your back, its in the legs !! If you try and use your back, you will hurt your back.

I KNOW !!

With your butt against the seat, you walk it up with your legs.

James Ranks
2008 BMW R1200RT 7200 miles
2005 BMW R1200GS 13000 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha FZ1 (Sold) 11000 miles
2002 BMW K1200LTC 29900 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha VSTAR-650 Silverado (Sold) 9100 miles
post #13 of 15 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 9:46 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranks
Please re-read previous threads about picking the beast up. DO NOT use your back, its in the legs !! If you try and use your back, you will hurt your back.

I KNOW !!

With your butt against the seat, you walk it up with your legs.
My fault
French guy here so it's not always simple to explain what I have in mind. As you say, the guy use his legs and not his back.

BMW K1200LT '06 - SUZUKI V-STROM 650 '07
BMW K1200LT '99 (sold) - BMW R1150GS '02 (sold) - YAMAHA Roadliner '06 (sold) - BMW K1200LT '99 (sold) - BMW R1100RT (sold) - HONDA Shadow Aero (sold) - HONDA Shadow 125 (sold)
post #14 of 15 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 10:19 am

Me Too

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevandyke
I'm waiting for my first "auto park" of the LT I bought a month ago.

My RT, however, was a different story, as Dick Rothermel--a frequent poster here--will attest.

I had ridden Harley Road Kings for 7 yrs, never had a bike with a center stand before. Bought the RT at Grand Rapids BMW, finished my paperwork, went out front on a perfect day, and the bike was on the centerstand.

Pete

I too have now joined the club. Mine was in my garage on the center stand parked NEXT TO my Harley Road King. You guessed it....when I took the BMW off the center stand for the first time, it was like a very expensive game of dominoes. The K1200LT hit the Road King and the Road King hit the wall.
post #15 of 15 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 10:36 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorawro
.............................As I was reversing in of her driveway, which consisted of rocks that can only be described as "near boulder" size, with my front wheel fully turned (duh) it started going over to the right. In an effort to save my pride I decided to hold it up. Keep in mind that my right wrist was already at a pretty good angle. When my wrist bones snapped it could be heard over the sound of the engine.T.........................
It's far easier to "step off" and swallow your pride.

Same here - with my previous big bike I tried to stop her, till she caught my thumb and took me with her - just before hitting the ground, my thumb broke.
********* Always let it fall !!!! ************

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in