Replacing Mirrors - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old Oct 14th, 2005, 12:49 pm Thread Starter

Replacing Mirrors

Finally knocked a mirror off in my garage. Before I try to beat it back on I thought I'd check and see if there is a magic technique for replacement.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old Oct 14th, 2005, 12:53 pm

Shouldn't have to beat it back on... It should just snap back into place..

If the gap around the mirror is inconsistent you might need to shim the ball ends a little.

Good Luck

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 25 Old Oct 14th, 2005, 12:55 pm

From I found, you just line-up the little balls to their sockets and rest it up aginst the mount and then give it a good whack with your hand. You might want to check and make sure the plastic is not cracked on the mirrior part next to the little ball. I had one that did that. Good luck.

post #4 of 25 Old Oct 14th, 2005, 1:02 pm

mirrors

don,t thrash it ,just be gentle and you should,nt have a problem.
post #5 of 25 Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 1:12 pm

Is there a way to secure the mirror to the bike, in case it decides to come off whilst riding ?.
post #6 of 25 Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 1:22 pm

Many here have. A quick search for mirrors should yield about a million hits on how others have done it. Some have used small plastic coated cables, and others have screwed them on.

I personally haven't had any problems with mine. I had a mirror that had a broken socket which left the ball loose and didn't hold very tight. I rode with it like that for about 20k. I finally replaced ALL of my trim plastic. If you lube the balls on the fairing side, and make sure that they are snapped into place, you shouldn't have to worry about them.

BMW (in their infinite wisdom) designed them to break away for a reason. In my opinion putting a tether or screwing them to the bike negates the design and may cause more problems in the short run.

YMMV tho
post #7 of 25 Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 1:49 pm

Like everyone says..."Don't beat it" However, it does take a significant "push". I used 150lb test saltwater fishing line to tether. I think I got 150 feet and 50 crimp sleeves for $10 from Bass Pro Shop online. If I need to remove tupperware it is a simple as a vasectomy....snip/snip and its done.

Personally, I like the mirrors tethered because my garage is full and I have bumped into the bike trying to get something and knocked a mirror off. Lucky no damage but now they don't hit the ground.
post #8 of 25 Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 2:33 pm

I used nylon covered stainless steel fishing leader also, but crimped the ends of an 18" long piece threaded through the housing into a "Ring tongue" electrical lug for 1/4" screw, and put that under the 6MM button head screw behind the mirror. To remove the mirror you only have to remove the screw, not cut the leader.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #9 of 25 Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 4:50 pm

Thumbs up Tethers - Do it now!

An unexpected jarring bump from the road can pop a mirror off. Many companies make little tether kits.(Cycle Gadgets?) Very inexpensive "insurance" on a $200+ part. As stated here, you can make them yourself with a couple dollars of fishing leader and #10 swivels utilizing the original fairing screws beneath the mirrors.

It can happen any time for a number of different reasons. A friend of mine had his 600 mile service done on his brand new R1200RT and one of the mirrors popped off on the way home because it was not put back on correctly by the dealer.

Bob Morrow #4204
2014 K1600GTLE "Firefly" GTL 4 Two
2002 K1200LTE "Green Hornet" LT 4 Two (history)
"Kyrie Eleison down the road that I must travel"
post #10 of 25 Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 5:13 pm

Question....When you teather the mirror and it pops off, does it damge the bike while it's flopping around? It seems to me it would be cheaper to replace the mirror than repainting the fairing.

Thanks

Airborne "Never Forget"
Vonore, TN

2003 LT-E "HLZ BNZ"
2004 Rune "PNS EXTN"
1970 ZA-50 "JR"

post #11 of 25 Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 5:26 pm

No issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by airborneod
Question....When you teather the mirror and it pops off, does it damge the bike while it's flopping around? It seems to me it would be cheaper to replace the mirror than repainting the fairing.

Thanks
Had mine pop off a couple of times at 70mph, only because I didn't get it on right, and NO DAMAGE to paint or mirror.

HTH

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #12 of 25 Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 6:56 pm

Same here - hit a set of railroad tracks that jarred my eyeteeth and the left mirror, and the tether saved the mirror with no damage to the mirror's or the tupperware's paint. Tethers are a good investment, in my opinion.

Gregg L.
'05 LT, Lt Metallic Yellow (of course)
Southeast PA
post #13 of 25 Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 8:08 pm

If your mirror is popping off, replace the three screw-in balls that the mirroe attaches to, then remove clean, rebend and lube the springs that go over the balls. My mirrors have never popped off since I did this. I use tethers though as it's still possible to strike something and knock one off (so, how do I know.....).

Paul Browne
Reston, VA

'06 BMW R1200RT
post #14 of 25 Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 8:23 pm

I use plastic tie ties to hold my mirrors on,, works good.......regards Pete
post #15 of 25 Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 10:51 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by airborneod

Thanks
I tethered my mirrors after spending $170.00 on a new one and waiting 10 days for it. I hit a pothole big time...

This morning, while splitting lane, a car came too close to me and knocked off my right mirror. Dangling off the wire did not scratch the fairing of the mirror paint.

$17.00 well spent IMHO...

Gilles
'99 "Red"
post #16 of 25 Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 11:39 pm

I knocked off mine a few times in the garage and pounded them back on and ended up breaking the plastic around the front spring area (both mirrows). I went to the dealer and he ordered the new parts I needed (he gave me them for 1/2 off) and then when they came in he showed me the correct way to put them on without hiting them and it works. First you line up the front ball and spring, with a little push it snaps on then you line up one of the back balls and with you hand on the front of the mirrow just put some pressure on the back ball and it snaps on then while holding the mirrow you leverage the last one on. It took a couple of times but now it seems very easy. Make sure the balls are lubed and the springs are in good shape and the plastic has cleareance. This bike should come with a video that shows this and how to pick it up the right way as both of these seem to happen to all of us.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #17 of 25 Old Nov 4th, 2005, 2:31 am

Thanks to everybody for their replies, especially the last one by Doug explaining the right way to put them back on.
I did not realise that the mirrors came off, untill I knocked one against a post.
I did several miles with the mirror shaking, not knowing that it was loose.
After stopping and checking it out, it just fell into my hands, which proves that a) the system works or b) I was lucky.
They are now secured with black plastic ties.
post #18 of 25 Old Nov 4th, 2005, 6:20 am

Good thread! I found out that by putting fresh lube on the balls it makes the mirrors go on real easy. Also, I have the mirror teathers from Bob's. I do find it difficult at times to try not to pinch the muth mirror wiring. What I now do when I remove the side panels is just let the mirrors hang from the teathers, this way I do not have to disconnect the wiring for the muth mirrors, or even disconnect the mirror teathers.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT - Sold December 2019
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #19 of 25 Old Nov 4th, 2005, 4:27 pm

I have had one of mine almost come off after hitting a pothole (Aussie backroads are full of them). Found out about the tethering hint and just used a couple of long zip-ties. Like someone said, cheap insurance on a very expensive part.

Orange, NSW
'99 K1200LT - Basalt Grey (traded in for)
2007 GL1800 - Dark Orange Metallic
Ulysses Member 32701
post #20 of 25 Old Nov 4th, 2005, 4:46 pm

No, it does not damage the paint that you can notice.

After my crash in Arkansas, I trucked the bike back home to San Diego, and the right mirror was hanging on the tether. The left one was crushed and gone. I knew everything would be replaced or the bike totaled, so I did not worry about it.

To my surprise, when I looked at the paint where the mirror had been swinging and banging against for 2,000 miles, it was only slightly blemished. Could have been polished out I think. That is some TOUGH paint!

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #21 of 25 Old Nov 4th, 2005, 6:35 pm

Lost mirrors

I had both of mine pop off while traveling I-81 in the dark early one morning. I'd hit a bump on the Interstate with enough force to jar them both loose. Fortunately, the thethers I'd purchased from Bob's BMW in Maryland saved the day. The mirrors flopped a bit (I was doing about 70 mph at the time) until I could pull over to the shoulder to pop them back on, but there wasn't any damage to either the mirrors or the bike's faring. Bob's thethers are the ticket!
post #22 of 25 Old Nov 4th, 2005, 10:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulcbrowne
If your mirror is popping off, replace the three screw-in balls that the mirroe attaches to, then remove clean, rebend and lube the springs that go over the balls. My mirrors have never popped off since I did this. I use tethers though as it's still possible to strike something and knock one off (so, how do I know.....).
There is a thread on the old site that talks about this maintenance and the proper gap between the mirrors and the tupperware. Following this procedure has eliminated my loose mirror problems.

The tethers can be done in a variety of ways, all with good results. I also have hit a pot hole and had a mirror come loose, with no paint damage.

Rich
Roseville, CA

'09 Kawasaki KLX250
'08 Honda Goldwing
'00 K1200LT -- sold

HDDC Posse

post #23 of 25 Old May 8th, 2011, 11:17 pm

Re: Replacing Mirrors

dmatson - - - Thanks for the directions. Your technique worked just fine. I was dissapointed that none of the LT manuals supplied with the bike addressed this issue. Larry
post #24 of 25 Old May 9th, 2011, 3:15 am

I'm one of the maroons that screwed them on. I bought a pair of nylon #6 black plastic bolts and used at triangular file to cut a small notch in them then tapped a hole and screwed them on. I feel that the bolt would break before the motor housing would break. They sure don't fall off anymore.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #25 of 25 Old May 9th, 2011, 7:09 am

Tethering has worked for me for the past 6 years. Nylon wire ties, steel leader, etc. all work well. Lubing the balls, adjusting the clearance between mirrors and faring all contribute to longevity. I know from experience that a good bump on a freeways bridge approach can be enough to have one or both hanging by the tether.

Good luck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in