Had to lay her down this morning - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old Jul 14th, 2006, 2:34 pm Thread Starter

Angry Had to lay her down this morning

(Now THERE's a troll of a thread title for ya!)

Hello, my name is Ron and I have dropped my LT.

I really did "have to lay it down", once she started to go over there was nothing I could do but try to make it as gentle as possible. It happened exactly where and how I always knew it would, if it was ever going to.

It was a pretty typical scenario, the side exit from the 7-11 where I get my morning coffee is a down-hill ramp which meets a road that is also down-hill...with the two slopes 90 degrees from each other. I have always been careful there...careful to stay toward the center of the exit, careful to keep the front wheel straight until I make the transition, careful to never let the bike lean to the downhill side when I did have to stop there.
Not today, today I violated all 3 of those carefully designed anti-dropping rules.
There where several cars coming in that crowded me to the right side.
I had to move right in response as I started down the exit .
I had to make a low speed turn to the right to do so, so the bars were over too far.
There was traffic turning onto the road as I rolled down the ramp...I had to stop.
The inertia of the stop with the bars over to the right started the lean-over.
I put my foot out and the ground wasn't there.
By the time I had slid off the seat enough to get my foot planted she was overbalanced.
Once she was overbalanced...well, you know the rest already.

The truly ugly (and now a bit comical) part is that the bike went over to the right onto a fairly significant downslope. This meant a particularly difficult angle to lift her from, when I tried the butt-into-the-seat trick I found I couldn't get any traction to start the lift...she was down as solid as an 800lb block of granite!! YIKES! Luckily a couple of samaritans showed up after about 30 seconds and helped me get her to her feet. Now I found myself standing on the right side of the bike, downhill, with the seat about waist high! Even if I had been able to get her up by myself I doubt I could have gotten back on...and, I don't know if you are aware of this, there is no kickstand on the right side! My only option would have been to try to walk it down the hill and around the corner to where it would have been pointing downhill on otherwise flat ground. Then I MIGHT have been able to get on without dropping it again...this was decidedly not good. Fortunately one of the guys who helped me get it up stuck around long enough to keep her stable while I re-mounted...a big hearty thank-you to both of those guys!

So, that's 2.5 years without incident until now...that top-heavy b#^ch finally got me. I was going to take my Vulcan to work this morning but I had the bikes parked in the wrong order in the garage and didn't feel like playing musical motorcycles at the time...too much bother . Had I been on the Vulcan this whole story would have been about how I had to plant my leg out a tad further and wrench the bars back...it would have been about why my shoulder was a little sore instead of my back...instead it's about the only things about the LT that I really, truly, don't like...the high CG and the seat that's just too damn far from the ground.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old Jul 14th, 2006, 2:40 pm

Welcome to the club !

I've only dropped mine three times so far.

First two times in the first month of ownership..

Third time in the "box" at the ERC. The wind was blowing about 40 mph and a gust just slammed me to the ground...

Oh well. That's the price you pay for having one of the coolest bikes on the planet..

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 23 Old Jul 14th, 2006, 2:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpspen
I've only dropped mine three times so far.

First two times in the first month of ownership..

Third time in the "box" at the ERC. The wind was blowing about 40 mph and a gust just slammed me to the ground...

Oh well. That's the price you pay for having one of the coolest bikes on the planet..

John
Three times for me as well...

First time after 1 hour of ownership.

Second time after 1,5 years, jerking it off the centerstand on a soft gravel

And third time (after 2 years) which really could have been good food for the candid camera:
I was opening my electrical wrought iron gates with my remote control, got them opened and drove between them and I was going to open my garage door. Pressed the wrong button on the remote and the gate started to close and pushed me down...

Regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

Pictures of various farkle projects:

post #4 of 23 Old Jul 14th, 2006, 3:00 pm

find a new spot to get coffee. that sounds trecherous.
post #5 of 23 Old Jul 14th, 2006, 3:04 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYchris02
find a new spot to get coffee. that sounds trecherous.
Actually they have a front entrance/exit that I will now use whenever I'm on the LT. It involves an extra right turn at a traffic light. The side exit opens onto the road to my neighborhood and avoids the main street and lights...clearly the better choice when astride the black beast!
post #6 of 23 Old Jul 14th, 2006, 3:18 pm

Now you can ride it without worrying about it. She is no longer a virgin
Rock
post #7 of 23 Old Jul 14th, 2006, 3:50 pm

1st thing to do after she drops on the right side is to extend the kickstand, place her in first gear (If at all possible).

The kickstand is obvious, 1st gear helps keep her from rolling away from you if your hand slips off the front break, or don't have enough brake pressure built up.

BTW, welcome to the club !!

James Ranks
2008 BMW R1200RT 7200 miles
2005 BMW R1200GS 13000 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha FZ1 (Sold) 11000 miles
2002 BMW K1200LTC 29900 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha VSTAR-650 Silverado (Sold) 9100 miles
post #8 of 23 Old Jul 14th, 2006, 4:12 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranks
1st thing to do after she drops on the right side is to extend the kickstand, place her in first gear (If at all possible).

The kickstand is obvious, 1st gear helps keep her from rolling away from you if your hand slips off the front break, or don't have enough brake pressure built up.

BTW, welcome to the club !!
Clearly I am not a master of the obvious!!! What a brilliantly simple thing, it never even occured to me...doh! Of course it has been over 12 years since I've put a bike on the ground! That time it was a gen1 Yama Venture 1200, very similar to an LT...but lighter . Almost the same circumstances except in front of a bunch of girl scouts, I was so embarassed that when I picked it up I literally tossed it right over onto the other side! I guess I just wanted matching sratches!
post #9 of 23 Old Jul 14th, 2006, 4:24 pm

3 times myself also..still come close occasionally when I don't pay attention to the situation..all on the right side and I remembered the sidestand and 1st gear trick after the 1st time..
It's still the best bike I've ridden..
post #10 of 23 Old Jul 14th, 2006, 4:35 pm

Ron,

Thanks, man. I'm amazed you held out this long. I've had my LT for 7 weeks and she's been down...ouch...3 times. And like Ari, one of those drops was in the first hour of ownership. Hard to admit it, but it's reality. I guess there's a little consolation for me in knowing that, having performed with no style or grace the infamous "850 lb. drop", I'm in company with many of you experienced and respected LT'ers who've also had the misfortune of doing it...and I'm not ever gonna let it discourage me 'cause she's too danged much fun when she's upright. I'll just learn from the mistake, pick er up, yell at her for being so stinking overweight, apologize for the drop, re-mount and GO! Yeehaww!!!

(BTW, BMW, I'm grateful for the crash bars.)

Bob Darkey
post #11 of 23 Old Jul 14th, 2006, 4:41 pm

What kind of damage is typical from a "drop"?

My '04 LT is 'in the mail', so a new-owner-to-be is just curious!
post #12 of 23 Old Jul 14th, 2006, 4:51 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safedog
What kind of damage is typical from a "drop"?

My '04 LT is 'in the mail', so a new-owner-to-be is just curious!
This morning's fiasco resulted in a very minor scuff on the underside of the front right "tip-over-wing", it is also popped slightly out of place so I have to loosen a couple of screws and push that pesky front tang back in it's slot.
It also caused a somewhat more disturbing ugliness to the chrome-like saddle bag guard (also the right side)...as luck would have it there is another thread from this morning that pointed me to those nifty rubber-baby-buggy-bumpers...a $30 fix that saves me from doing an R&R on that shiny plastic doo-hicky!
post #13 of 23 Old Jul 14th, 2006, 5:03 pm

Talking 32oz Big Gulp was the deciding factor

I had a zero mph drop in a hotel parking lot. Also on a steep incline. I'm convinced that the 32oz drink in the cup holder was the straw that broke my back. Had that thing not been there I probably could have held it.
post #14 of 23 Old Jul 14th, 2006, 5:12 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruivis
I had a zero mph drop in a hotel parking lot. Also on a steep incline. I'm convinced that the 32oz drink in the cup holder was the straw that broke my back. Had that thing not been there I probably could have held it.
Sounds perfectly reasonable to me. I had a spare FF helmet in the right bag, the left was empty...that HAD to be it!
post #15 of 23 Old Jul 14th, 2006, 5:23 pm

Hi Everyone
Haven't owned a bike for 23 years. The last one was a 1961 BSA Rocket Gold Star. So I thought time is running out, it's time to get back on a bike. So I liked the look of the LT and my wife kept saying that I was to old. I thought that if I bought something as big as an LT I couldn’t possible have a mishap. Within 2 days I had dropped it at a slip road. It took me and three bystanders to pick it up. I went into work the next day joking with my colleagues that I had joined an exclusive club; little knowing that one actually existed. So hello from the UK. Any handling tips welcome.

Regards

Dave
post #16 of 23 Old Jul 14th, 2006, 6:06 pm

Actually I think the LT world is made up of two types of people. Those who admit they have laid it down and those that don't admit it. Welcome to the club. You drop it a couple of times and you learn fast. It is not to often that you want to have to pick it up. It is a heavy sucker.
post #17 of 23 Old Jul 14th, 2006, 6:19 pm

Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by pozo_izquierdo
Pressed the wrong button on the remote and the gate started to close and pushed me down...

Regards

Ari, was this during your Learning phase of the 350,000 switches on your bike?

I will get to that file of your rack probably Sunday evening or Monday evening. I work a deadmans shift this weekend, 1p Sat-430p Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRock
Now you can ride it without worrying about it. She is no longer a virgin
Rock
Rock,
Yea, mine was deflowered in the garage, but I didn't have 3 bystanders to jump in and help me...so it was Just me lifting that pig.
I have since bought a treadmill for her, and she runs on it in the garage daily.

Bill

Colorado Springs, CO
2003 K1200LTE "Infinite"
2002 HD FXDL "Kristi"
2002 K1200RS "Monique"
1996 R1100RT "Kami"
1988 K75s no name
post #18 of 23 Old Jul 14th, 2006, 8:13 pm

Welcome to the club

I dropped mine twice while not even on it, after several months of ownership. Both times it was on the center stand, on the slightest of downhill grades. First time, I pushed it ever-so-slightly forward and down it goes. Second time my wife was dismounting from the rear seat and her motions moved it off the center stand and down it goes. We're both members of DA now!

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #19 of 23 Old Jul 14th, 2006, 8:19 pm

"Ari, was this during your Learning phase of the 350,000 switches on your bike? "

Bill, that is too damn funny!

Ari... welcome to the club! Just thank your stars that nobody was hurt... except your pride and your ride.

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

post #20 of 23 Old Jul 14th, 2006, 9:45 pm

Don't feel bad!

The first two weeks I had my LT it was on its side twice. Both times I was attempting to put it up on the centerstand. I didn't know the "secret" for this process. With assistance I was able to right the bike. Scratches on the chrome strip on the saddlebags. Other than that, all is well. Learned the process of putting the bike on the stand (still isn't that easy) but level ground and I have become best of friends!
post #21 of 23 Old Jul 14th, 2006, 10:01 pm

Dropped mine three times. All in my damn driveway. Go figure. My linkage just broke on the shifter and I wonder if the two are connected.

Scott

2000 Canyon Red LTC
"Arizona"
"You are what you are and you ain't what you ain't."
post #22 of 23 Old Jul 16th, 2006, 9:07 pm

Just posted on this thread Friday night. The next night (Saturday) out on the bike, came home, pulled in the driveway, stopped, and on its' side it went. The chrome strips on the saddlebags are getting a bit scratched but, with help from my wife, got her up and on the stand. I guess it's part of the "joy of ownership" of a LT. Only advice ... Don't try to catch it! Let 'er go. You can help ease it down and save yourself a bunch of strains and sprains. I learned the hard way.
post #23 of 23 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 7:24 pm
dhb

Smile She does go down so easy!

Oh yes, I know just what the feeling is like. My baby is a 2006 LT which I have had for six months and have 9,000 miles on and she has been down twice now. The first time was on a country road with the dreaded stop on a hill with a turn to the right and no pavement under foot. She went down fast and rolled me and the Mrs. off quick. Had a shin bruise on "left" shin where I guess the foot peg got me. Large egg.

Second time was yesterday when I was backing her out of garage. Stopped while in garage, left motor running in neutral and adjusted suspension damper, then got back on and proceeded to back out. My garage floor drops off about 2 inches into gravel drive. She has tipped a bit to right before when I have backed out and I am always prepared for it and immediately start leaning a bit to left as soon as the back wheel goes over. This time she started tipping, I leaned to left but she would not go back up and, kaboom she fell over into garage door casing. I could not budge her off it and called my friend I was supposed to be meeting and he came over to help get her on her feet. As I was waiting for him I found the mistake I had made. After stopping to adjust damper, when I got back on I forgot to put kick stand up and when back wheel dropped off it was against the garage floor (actually I think shoved bike to right) and would not let me tip bike back to left. A lesson hard learned. Bike has one small scratch in fairing from a finishing nail in garage door frame and it broke one of the windshield lift arms. I have a sore shoulder from trying to hold her up.

What a dubious honor to be in this club. LOL.

Ride safe bros

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in