:( what now - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Jul 14th, 2006, 8:45 am Thread Starter
kip

:( what now

this morning im on the way to work and i notice that when i downshift there is some new kind of gindy crunchy shivery noise apparantly coming from the gear box.....it only does it when downshifting and decelerating.....although maybe thats the only time you can hear it....

i think it may be shifting a little weird too.....but that may just be paranoia....

hoping it will make it back home (40 miles) so I can figure out what it is this time.....

if this turns out to be something major im seriously losing my allure of the LT.....just got done rebuilding the rear drive.....

it DOES have 89,000 miles on it.....maybe thats just too many miles for a motorcycle to be reliable without constantly working on something or rebuilding something! i ride about 500 miles a week minimally and i just do NOT have time for this kind of stuff!

Kip
99 LT
97 Shadow 1100
Jefferson, Ga
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Jul 14th, 2006, 10:20 am

My bike made some wierd noises on downshifting...found that the tupperware was making a racket near the front....some foam rubber solved the noise. Also found my license plate was vibrating against the mud flap making a hellacious noise. If you have not done so, try changing the tranny fluid to a nice synthetic and see if it improves shifting.

Dave
Monkton, MD
and Pawleys Island, SC
2002 K1200LTC
post #3 of 13 Old Jul 14th, 2006, 11:01 am

I'd drain the tranny and have a look at the magnetic drain plug. There's typically a thin layer of iron filings on the plug, which is always interesting. But I'd be looking for more severe signs of internal destruction. If you don't see anything out of the ordinary, then I'm guessing the noise is coming from elsewhere. For the tranny to create a noise like you've described, it would have to be pretty far down a path of destruction and I would expect to see a LOT of metal down there. Post a picture of the plug with the metal if you can.

Good luck,
-joel

post #4 of 13 Old Jul 14th, 2006, 12:05 pm

Oil Filter Opener

Perhaps you can cut open you oil filter and see the damage first-hand? I do this everytime I change the oil in my airplane because I need to detect even the slightest amount of damage to avoid a huge repair bill in the future...
I did a little searching, but there are no motorcycle-specific filter openers.

You can try this link to see how it's done:
http://www.cancutter.com/application.htm

After you get it open, you can pull out the filter (I recommend using some rubber gloves) and take a sharp pocket knife and cut out the filter element.

Then you can stretch it out to see the metal shards in the folds.

From there, you can do tests to see what kind of metal that is in the filter and that will tell you what part of the bike is imploding.

Cheers!

BTW: It could be worse... A buddy of mine just got caught up in a Lycoming Engine A.D. (Airworthyness Directive) on the crankshaft of his new Cessna 182T... It's gonna cost him $18k to fix!!
post #5 of 13 Old Jul 14th, 2006, 12:29 pm

Jet-A, are you under the impression that the transmission and engine share oil? They don't.

Regards,
-joel
post #6 of 13 Old Jul 14th, 2006, 1:15 pm Thread Starter
kip

not engine problem

i appreciate you guys thoughts....

its not an engine related issue at all....engine is smooth and normal....

i dont think its loose body parts....

assuming it makes it home i aim to drain the transmission oil pronto and check the plug and the oil and see if there is any evidence.....

if not i guess ill load her back up with synthetic mobil 1 gear oil...which is what ive been using....and just drive it til something happens.....

hopefully that will be later rather than sooner....

Kip
99 LT
97 Shadow 1100
Jefferson, Ga
post #7 of 13 Old Jul 14th, 2006, 1:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet-A
------------------------------------BTW: It could be worse... A buddy of mine just got caught up in a Lycoming Engine A.D. (Airworthyness Directive) on the crankshaft of his new Cessna 182T... It's gonna cost him $18k to fix!!
Lycoming is not picking up any of it?? I remember a Continental crankshaft issue that required an A.D., and it cost Continental hundreds of thousands of dollars to take care of it. These types of problems are usually a defect in design/materials/processes, where the manufacturer should be held accountable.

You know, like BMW final drives and slave cylinders?

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #8 of 13 Old Jul 14th, 2006, 6:13 pm

Whenever I see ware out questions, I think of Don Arthur.

Anyone heard from him lately?

Bob
post #9 of 13 Old Jul 14th, 2006, 6:27 pm

[QUOTE=Jet-A]I do this everytime I change the oil in my airplane because I need to detect even the slightest amount of damage to avoid a huge repair bill in the future..[QUOTE]

Um....yea..the repair Bill...At 8K feet a repair bill is NOT what I am thinking about...I would have a different motive for cutting oil filters...haha.

DShealy...IS there ANYTHING you don't know?? Man, you impress me everytime you post.. I want to be like you when I grow up.

Bill

Colorado Springs, CO
2003 K1200LTE "Infinite"
2002 HD FXDL "Kristi"
2002 K1200RS "Monique"
1996 R1100RT "Kami"
1988 K75s no name
post #10 of 13 Old Jul 14th, 2006, 6:28 pm
Miles of Smiles

Garage
Smile Visual Check

Last time I changed the transmission oil, I used a small mirror on an extendable stalk and my maglite torch (focus type) to visually look at the condition of things in the gear box. By shifting gears, and rotating the rear wheel you can get to see selector dogs, teeth, etc quite well. The magnetic plug should hold any debris, but a visual check is good as well. Cheers

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2
post #11 of 13 Old Jul 14th, 2006, 6:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet-A
I do this everytime I change the oil in my airplane because I need to detect even the slightest amount of damage to avoid a huge repair bill in the future..
Um....yea..the repair Bill...At 8K feet a repair bill is NOT what I am thinking about...I would have a different motive for cutting oil filters...haha.

DShealy...IS there ANYTHING you don't know?? Man, you impress me everytime you post.. I want to be like you when I grow up.

Bill

Colorado Springs, CO
2003 K1200LTE "Infinite"
2002 HD FXDL "Kristi"
2002 K1200RS "Monique"
1996 R1100RT "Kami"
1988 K75s no name
post #12 of 13 Old Jul 14th, 2006, 8:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieceofficer
---------------DShealy...IS there ANYTHING you don't know??
Heavens yes! Just born with the genes and whatever else it is that led me to be an engineer. LT stuff I started learning here 5 years ago, and since I did ride in the upper percentage of mile eaters, experienced some of the major issues with my LT, and one that no one else has had (broken piston ring lands) I have had the experiences of tearing really deep into the bike. I do all my automotive, electrical, and just about any other work, so have gained a lot of actual experience in several areas. I am also an Instrument rated Private Pilot, was once thinking heavily about buying my own plane, so read heavily for a few years in that area too.

I am the type of person who not only READS the owner's manuals on anything I buy, I also purchase the service manuals on any vehicle and actually speed read through them so I understand what is going on, and so that there will be few surprises if I have to do anything. I like driving, riding, flying, etc. and being able to visualize what is happening all over the vehicle in some detail. If something seems amiss, I can usually break it down in my head quickly and determine what may be the most likely suspect.

So in short, when something comes up in a subject with which I am familiar, I post about it.

BUT, there are PLENTY of areas I am not experienced or knowledgeable. So when those come up, I sit back quietly and learn from others. That is one thing I love about this group, plenty of sharp people in many areas where I know nothing, then when they get through I at least know something.
Quote:
Man, you impress me everytime you post..
Gee, thanks! Glad I am not riding right now, would not be able to get my helmet on for the next day or so. D:
Quote:
I want to be like you when I grow up.
Or not, maybe you should meet me first. Then I would know what I can learn from you!

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #13 of 13 Old Jul 14th, 2006, 11:30 pm

Kip,

I had a 2000 K1200LT when at 136,000 miles I had some gear teeth break on an a 5th to 4th gear downshift, locking up the rear wheel at 50mph. A few miles before that it was slipping out of gear as I was hoping to make it home.

Luckily I had an extended warranty that covered the $3500 repair bill.

My 17 year old son and I removed the top cover off the removed gearbox. We saw two lower gears that had a few teeth broken off. Not sure what caused that, maybe metal fatigue or manufacturing defect or something came loose and jammed in the gears? Any ideas?

Just for grins, I sent the gear oil out for oil analysis. It did look a little dirty but that seemed about it. The gearbox internals looked amazingly clean and could see no wear of any component. We would have split the gear box case, but according to the manual took a bunch of special tools I don't have. I may take it to a mechanic that might have enough interest to do it for me. I may send it off to BMW to see if they would like to do a failure analysis.

You may want to drain the gearbox oil and have an oil analysis done to see if the oil has alot of metal in it. If so, it may be time to replace/rebuild your gear box, before you lock the rear wheel up and crash like I did.

In the meantime I sold that LT and bought a 2006.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in