LT Tailight Bulbs - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Jul 13th, 2006, 9:29 pm Thread Starter

LT Tailight Bulbs

The tailight on my '04 LT isn't very bright, especially during the day. LED's are the way to go? I've seen some styles, some are pretty costly. Anyone familiar with this site? http://superbrightleds.com/tail-brake-turn.html
The current tailight bulbs (I don't know!) are the automotive 1157? Are there LED's that will just plug into the current sockets without modifications? Yep, I'm looking for an easy conversion, pull out the old bulbs, put in the new and be on my way. Thanks for your insight as always.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Jul 13th, 2006, 9:50 pm

Sam

I am not familiar with that site, however they look interesting! I know a couple guys have used http://autolumination.com/1156_1157.htm .

You'll need something like the load resistor kit otherwise you'll get the brake light failure indicator light coming on.

What I can't remember is if the factory taillight sockets are 1157 or not (I put LEDs in mine a couple years ago and can't remember if I changed the sockets or not)...

Wish I could be of more help...
post #3 of 9 Old Jul 13th, 2006, 10:40 pm

The tail lights just don't have the brilliance needed to warn the on coming cages. Just keep and hand full of marbles or ball bearings in your jacket pocket and when one gets on your tire toss'em over your shoulder gently and they'll pepper the fire outa the cage, down shift and watch the fun !!!!!!
Or did you just need a brighter warning light ???

post #4 of 9 Old Jul 13th, 2006, 11:00 pm

The taillight sockets at all three positions in the braking area are 1157s. Depending on the year of your bike you may or may not need the load resistor. IIRC, up until the Integral Brakes were introduced, you could leave the center bulb alone or cover it with a red condom (Dave Dragon's term not mine) purchased at an auto parts store and install :red:1157 LEDs:/red: in the outer positions and run just fine. That's on my list of things to spend money on later this winter. YMMV

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwlt.com lately????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #5 of 9 Old Jul 14th, 2006, 3:22 pm

You might try www.superbrightleds.com for a wide selection of LEDs at reasobale prices. I bought taillight bulbs like the ones at this site from Cycle Gadgets for my '99 LT. The price was higher, but Cycle Gadgets gave me a full refund when they would not work (didn't light up). It seems that BMW bulbs replaced with LEDs have had mixed success according to CG.

Paul Browne
Reston, VA

'06 BMW R1200RT
post #6 of 9 Old Jul 14th, 2006, 3:23 pm

RiderWarehouse has a sale on 1157replacement LED's. $15.00 apiece. They come in red or white.

Matt
95 Honda Magna (sold)
97 R1100RT (sold)
00 LTc, Canyon Red "Tarkus" (sold)
01 F650GS (wifey's, sold)
01 Ducati S4 Monster "LittleOne"
04 R1150RT (turned to scrap)
99 R1100RT Tundra Green
Kalamazoo, MI
"Worry does not rob tomorrow of it's sorrow. It saps the strength of today."
post #7 of 9 Old Jul 14th, 2006, 6:20 pm

I put blinkies in my 00. It was fun trying to figure out how to remove the plastic tail lite cover.

bob, 00LT
post #8 of 9 Old Jul 15th, 2006, 1:07 am

I put a set of these http://www.homebody-design.com/catalog/brake/brake.html on mine and I'm very impressed. They were simple plug-and-play which was nice, but the real bonus is that they modulate when you initially apply the brakes and they get immediate attention. I find that people are stopping further back from me now.
post #9 of 9 Old Jul 15th, 2006, 8:51 am

Sam,
For an alternative solution, try http://www.hyperlites.com/ The lights are modular, compact and can be placed wherever you would like them.

Larry
Rochester Hills, MI

05 LT
96 HD Softail
00 HD Wide Glide
07 HD Road King (Cop Bike)
75 Honda 550 (wife's restored baby)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in