is it ok to run the lt without thermastat? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Jul 13th, 2006, 12:47 pm Thread Starter

Question is it ok to run the lt without thermastat?

Long story, short version...dealer don't stock and I need to drive the bike. I've done this over the years with cars and no ill effects (till winter, gets cold).

Thanks for your advice.

Bonzi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Jul 13th, 2006, 1:08 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Don't know - but I have had cars (MGB) that would over cool if you did not use a restrictor plate. I would say give it a try, just realise it will most likely take longer to get out of the initial "rich" start up condition. Just monitor the temp for abnormal behavior.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old Jul 13th, 2006, 1:56 pm

No Thermostat

DefinitleyNot!No engine should ever be run without a thermostat!All engines are designed to run most efficiently at certain temps,thr thermostat makes sure it is at a constant temp.Sure ypu may get by with it for a short time,but you will have hot or cold spots in diff. areas of your engine.Also really bad for marine deisels,running too cool don't get proper combustion.

post #4 of 10 Old Jul 13th, 2006, 2:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzi
Long story, short version...dealer don't stock and I need to drive the bike. I've done this over the years with cars and no ill effects (till winter, gets cold).

Thanks for your advice.

Bonzi
For a relative short period until the replacement thermostat is in, go ahead -- but keep an eye on the temp gauge. You want to ensure the coolant temp gets up into the normal range most of the time -- the reason is that if too cool, the temp sensor at the rear of the cylinder head will tell the Moronic that the engine is cold, and the Moronic will go to the cold/start/overly-rich fuel map; after a while, this will lead to carbon-fouled plugs, and potentially overheat the catalytic converter (from unburned fuel oxidation (burning) in the cat).

Not something to do for a long time, but a manageable "emergency" condition.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #5 of 10 Old Jul 13th, 2006, 3:06 pm Thread Starter

thanks

I'm going for a short spin to check out the temp gage. Dealer said he could get me a new one in a day or so.

thanks again,

Bonzi
post #6 of 10 Old Jul 13th, 2006, 4:58 pm

I would not do it, but if you do, be very careful to watch the temperature carefully. My experiences in the past with cars was that some will run too cool, but believe it or not some will actually OVERHEAT with no thermostat!

The reason is that the hot water has to stay in the radiator(s) long enough to transfer it's heat to the air passing through. If a cooling system pumps water fast enough this cannot happen, and the water temp will continue to rise.

Running any engine without a thermostat is a sure recipe for either reduced performance, or damage.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #7 of 10 Old Jul 13th, 2006, 6:24 pm Thread Starter

looks good to go

at 82 degreesF @ about 60 mile per hour the needle points half way between the first white block and the half way mark. Got stuck behind a line of cars and a tractor for some first gear stuff for about 10 minutes and the needle went to the 3/4 mark, than returned to the before mentioned mark when under way again. This should be ok, yea?

Thanks folks,
Bonzi
post #8 of 10 Old Jul 13th, 2006, 9:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzi
at 82 degreesF @ about 60 mile per hour the needle points half way between the first white block and the half way mark. Got stuck behind a line of cars and a tractor for some first gear stuff for about 10 minutes and the needle went to the 3/4 mark, than returned to the before mentioned mark when under way again. This should be ok, yea?

Thanks folks,
Bonzi
That is fine for temporary use, but I would get a thermostat re-installed at the earliest convenience.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #9 of 10 Old Jul 13th, 2006, 9:53 pm Thread Starter

should have one tommorrow or Sat.
thanks,

Bonzi
post #10 of 10 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 6:27 pm

seems like I once read an article that said too fast thru a radiator was a myth. They said whenever they did not get enough cooling that they sped up the water pump. It went on to say (if I recall correctly) that the situation caused by no thermostat was cavatation around the pump where air would be introduced and not allow the water to be pushed properly. Not saying this is gospel but thought I would throw it out for fun. Would definitely replace the thermostat as soon as possible for the proper running temp reasons already stated.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in