Windsheild motor problems - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Jul 13th, 2006, 9:03 am Thread Starter

Unhappy Windsheild motor problems

My electric windsheild quit working on a recent trip to NC. It was stuck in the up position. I removed the tupperware to find a wire broken off on the motor sense switch that shuts the motor off when the sheild reachs the end of its travel up or down. I had to remove the white plastic cover to resolder the wire back on. Motor now works in both directions when I maually test but I can's get the cover back on and have it work. It has a strange gear driven cam that needs positioned just right for everything to work properly. Does anyone know a simple way to put this back together? It has some markings that I'm thinking must need lined up or something to sync everything with either the shield up or down. I've tried many combinations and nothing seems to work. Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Jul 13th, 2006, 4:09 pm

There is nothing to "sychronize". The motor and cam have no sensor other than the limit switches. If the limit switches are not activated, the motor will run continuosly while hold the up or down selector.

It seems you are losing a connection when re-assembling.

Nathan
post #3 of 3 Old Jul 15th, 2006, 9:15 am Thread Starter

Talking

[QUOTE=nswenson]There is nothing to "sychronize". The motor and cam have no sensor other than the limit switches. If the limit switches are not activated, the motor will run continuosly while hold the up or down selector.

nswenson,

thanks for the reply,but I believe you are wrong. The limit switches ride on a roller that has several grooves that turn the switches on or off. Depending on what position the windshield is in and where the roller is positioned changes the stop points in the travel of the windshield. One spot on the roller turns off both switches so it will not go up or down.
Good news is I figured it out by moving the roller one tooth at a time, reassembling and testing. It was a tedious job but it is now working fine. I also found what caused the original problem. Last year I installed an aftermarket HID head lamp and the ballast was close enough to the relay to break the wires off from vibration or heavy bumps. I simply pulled the ballast from the velcro attachment and moved it to the right about .25 inch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in