2003 K1200 LT GPS, Comm Sys, CB and Radio Advice - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Oct 8th, 2014, 9:25 pm Thread Starter

2003 K1200 LT GPS, Comm Sys, CB and Radio Advice

I have a "New" to me K1200 LT It came with a Factory GPS, CB, 6-dik CD and Comm System.

I am strongly considering getting rid of just about everything.

Replace the Factory GPS, and Comm System using a Garmin with Lifetime maps and Traffic and Bluetooth Helmets. I already have the Garmin and I am due for new helmets.

I would like experienced owners opinion-- Pros and Cons.

I have not even tried the Factory GPS. It has a bunch of wires that currently hang around a flat metal plate above my Speedo (see Pics) I guess the extra wires are so the sound goes through the speakers. I could replace all of that with 1 easy to tuck away cable. I do not need to have the GPS sound go though the speakers? I plan on mounting my Garmin from that metal plat (on Pic) and either hiding or eliminating the wires.

Is there a Market for 2003 GPS? How about the BMW Radio or CB?

How about the Comm System. I also have not tried it.... I can not see myself dealing with plugging in and out my helmet. New Helmets with BLINK Bluetooth have good reviews and can work as a Comm system, even to other bikes, a hands free phone and can stream music. It seems like the best of all worlds---without the cords. And not overly expensive.

The guy I bought the bike from got it used and he never tried the GPS or Comm. I think I'd end up being the same.

What about the CB? Who uses CB now a days? I doubt I can use it without a helmet that can get plugged in... and I do not see that happening.

Has anyone replaced the Radio/CD player with an aftermarket?
It should be doable....I have a BMW Z4 it had the Business CD radio. I was told by everyone on the forums and at Best Buy that it could not easily be replaced.... I found a guy who said he could do it without problems... He also got the steering wheel controls to work by adding a programmable module He charged me $90 to install and $50 for Steering Module.

Does anyone have any experience with replacing the radio?

Does anyone have a wiring diag for a 2003 K1200 LT?

One Last Question--- My LCD display for the radio and the small one on the dash---I think it shows Gear--- have missing parts of the number/letter- Has anyone replaced or fixed these?

Thanks in advance....

I welcome any advice or opinions....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Oct 8th, 2014, 9:45 pm

Re: 2003 K1200 LT GPS, Comm Sys, CB and Radio Advice

I never had the factory GPS.Nor would I want it. I bought a Zumo 550.It's portable from bike to car. And then got a J&M model 2003 CB, same as a factory unit. J&M makes the units for BMW .I mounted both with the Ram mount system. And yes I do use the CB on occasion on trips to talk to my friends with wings that have CB's. But it has an intercom and MP3 player input. So it gets its use. I can run the Sirius radio/Mp3 player through the speakers. Or plug the Zumo into the CB and run it thru the headsets in the helmets. It's a good setup. I sent my radio into Carphonics in the UK and Baris repaired it and an Aux input was installed when he replaced the amps.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.

Last edited by james216; Oct 8th, 2014 at 9:53 pm.
post #3 of 13 Old Oct 9th, 2014, 6:41 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by james216 View Post
Or plug the Zumo into the CB and run it thru the headsets in the helmets.
I have the J&M system. Can you explain how you plug your Zumo into the J&M CB?

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 Old Oct 9th, 2014, 7:21 am

The model I have has a 3.5 make aux pigtail off the main J&M harness. When I ran harness. I ran that 3.5 to the oddments box. So now I have 2 3.5 male aux plugs. 1 for the zumo,1 for the J&M. I got a female coupler from radio shack. And when I chose to. I run both thru headsets.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #5 of 13 Old Oct 9th, 2014, 7:43 am

Abandon the factory stuff as it is outdated and provides poor quality sound when it works. Go with bluetooth communication system (lots available) Satellite radio if radio needed. Use phone or I-pod device for music. Yes go bluetooth all the way.
post #6 of 13 Old Oct 9th, 2014, 8:24 am

Garage

If you'd have come along earlier, I'd have scooped up your stock stuff for some cash.

I ended up going with a used Baehr system from another user here. But, after fighting with Bluetooth and my desire for integrating everything for the last 5 years I wanted wired (adventures from previous motorcycle included in that time frame.) We now hop on the bike, we plug in, it all works and nothing needs charging / re-pairing / etc. The lack of charging batteries and the added power of a wired system should not be poopoo'ed.

I use a Zumo 660 into the Baehr along with the on-bike audio with speed based volume control that uses a Dice iPod interface to allow me to listen to/control an iPod in a side bag. The Zumo interfaces with my iPhone for calls/call control and I also have a second Bluetooth interface (Motorola HF820) hooked into the system for the wife so she can sit on the back and make calls that we can both participate in through the headsets.

For bike to bike we will be using either a Motorola GMRS unit or a Uniden CB (probably the latter because truckers provide very good road info so it's a good resource.) I've not added that into the mix *yet*.

One note though... I've been tinkering with CBs/Modems/HAM Radios/Networks for about 25 years though, and I brought that madness along to the bike (I'm even looking at mounting a dedicated WiFi hot-spot with a Wilson signal booster to the bike I've got it so bad) soooo I'm an extreme case and willing to constantly tinker with this stuff. Translation: you are welcome to ignore my insane ramblings

2007 R1200GS Adventure
No longer "OrovilleTim" as I defected from California
post #7 of 13 Old Oct 9th, 2014, 9:51 am

My 2002 came with all those when I bought it in 2008.
The only one with the motorcycle is the intercom but it's not used. The CD player began to skip even on small bumps and I removed it basically to get more room in the right sidecase, lots more room.
In 2011 I replaced the Nav I GPS with a Zumo 220 and hence a Scala Rider Teamset Pro to hear it (wife's requirement for me). My CB would receive but not transmit. I had replaced it with the newer model but had to reverse the plugs and it never worked right. I removed the CB and the extra antenna. I personally think the com system in the motorcycle is much better than my Bluetooth unit but I'm leaving it in the motorcycle.
I don't miss the CB.
I don't miss the CD.
I do miss having the onboard stereo piped into my headset.
I do miss the quality and VOX quality of the BMW/J&M intercom.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 13 Old Oct 9th, 2014, 1:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by james216 View Post
The model I have has a 3.5 make aux pigtail off the main J&M harness. When I ran harness. I ran that 3.5 to the oddments box. So now I have 2 3.5 male aux plugs. 1 for the zumo,1 for the J&M. I got a female coupler from radio shack. And when I chose to. I run both thru headsets.
Thanks James. Can you answer a couple of more questions please:
--Does your J&M system have the BMW emblem on the front of it? Basically, is it a BMW or J&M head unit?
--If it is the BMW unit, is the model number JMCB-2003?
--Can you use the Zumo with a cell phone?

Since I bought my bike used, I am not too sure how it is wired. I have a XM receiver which plugs into a 3.5 jack in the oddments box and I access it through the bikes radio through the Aux 1 (?) mode. The bike also had a Garmin 2820 connected, but I removed that and installed a Nuvi unit. I am wondering if that second 3.5 was used for the Garmin unit or if the Garmin was wired into the bikes radio. I guess this winter I will tear it down and investigate it further.
I talked to J&M a couple of times about connecting a bluetooth device in order for me to use a cell phone and they wanted approximately $500 for the adapter. For $500, I can buy a decent bluetooth system and connect everything. But I like the wired J&M system for both sound and intercom. I had a Autocom system on my LT, and the J&M sounds better.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #9 of 13 Old Oct 9th, 2014, 6:44 pm Thread Starter

Thanks everyone
post #10 of 13 Old Oct 9th, 2014, 9:41 pm

Yes. It is JMCB 2003. And yes. The 550 has cell capabilities

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #11 of 13 Old Oct 10th, 2014, 9:11 pm

I have all the stuff mentioned on my 2002.. ditched factory gps as I already had a zumo 550. I have everything bluetoothed including the cb radio. I have spent a considerable amount of $on sena products. SENA SMH10 On helmet, sr10 with push to talk connected to cb radio, zumo gps, radar detector,mp3 player, bike radio/cd player all connected to a mixt2 amp that is then connected to sena sm10 bluetooth transmitter.. works well, I do have unplug the mp3 player and plu in the bike system depending on wich one I want to listen to.. minor inconvenience, usually only do this when mp3 play batt dies. Oh and my phone bluetooth connect to smh10 on helmet. I have a diagram of how it all works if anybody would likd go see it. Idid buy some of the sena equipmrnt used from ebay and other mc forum flea markets. ? Cb is nice for my wing friends and we dont have to sync or bluetooth gear.

Unclebud in TX
Plainview TX
2007 Kawasaki KLX300r (dirt days)
1969 HONDA TRIAL 90 ( miles of smiles)
200? Unigo ( AKA The Pig)
2002 K1200 LT (AKA Nicci )
2004 Bushtect Roadstar (AKA Elli)
2014 R1200GSA (AKA FreeBird)

OTHER BIKE I HAVE OWNED
2004 R1150 GS (crashed) (AKA GRAY WOLF)
2004 R1150 RT ( Sold) (AKA SILVER BULLET)
1981 KAWASAKI KZ1000ST (SOLD)
1991 HARLEY SPORTSTER 883 (SOLD)

The flogging will continue untill morale improves!
post #12 of 13 Old Oct 11th, 2014, 5:31 am

Well..............

I have an '03 with that same system. Works just fine with a couple of little quirks. Don't care so much for the GPS, they want $100 a year to update maps. That isn't going to happen.

Have incorporated a Valentine 1 into the system, has paid for itself a few times over in ticket avoidance.

Also added a Ham radio, was real easy to interface.

OK, it has a cord but then never a hassle with batteries that seem to be dead when most inconvenient.

B D R
post #13 of 13 Old Oct 11th, 2014, 7:17 am

I failed to mention. The Zumo 550 has the XM30 antenna for satellite radio.So it has mp3/ satellite radio all in one unit. So with the J&M. I have only 2 systems mounted on my bar. It works out really well. And the repaired radio sounds great. So I can run the zumo through the stereo,and the J&M through the headset. Or use the 3.5 aux coupler and run both thru headsets.And someone keys a CB mike or GPS has a command to turn. It cuts music and cues it back up when finished. I really like it.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
I'm a 4 percenter.

Last edited by james216; Oct 11th, 2014 at 7:30 am.

Tags
cbs, comm, gps, radio

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in